Hot Take: wrestling has the highest amount of stories with women that pass the Bechdel test in all of fiction

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
The Bechdel test (/ˈbɛkdəl/ BEK-dəl),[1] also known as the Bechdel-Wallace test, is a test to measure the representation of women in film and other fiction. The test asks whether a work features at least two female characters who have a conversation about something other than a man. In some iterations, the requirement that the two female characters have names is added.[2]

I'm watching smackdown and the conversation between Bianca and Naomi legit made me say "himm...i wonder where this story is going :jbhmm:"

Then it hit me...wrestling woman have their own stories and agency outside of men like...80% of the time now. They're not just fueding over a dude almost always now. They barely even talk about the guys. And, in movies, the Bechdel Test is a semi tongue in cheek test that really judge's womans' agency in fiction...

Is wrestling [at least since 2010] way better at this than it gets credit for?

Last edited:

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
I would say you are correct I can’t think of the last time I saw a movie that pulled off the test seamlessly without it feeling forced . The worst is when they go out of their way not to make the main character and his female best friend love interest of each other

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I'd like to see more stories about something other than the title but they've done a decent enough job of not having them involved with men. I think the Carmella types are the only ones who involve themselves with the men now.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
The split between the men and women occurred when they could no longer be used as ragdolls to garner cheap heel heat. From that point forward the separation between the rosters became so great there was almost no acknowledgement that the other existed. Now of course you did have your "love" stories which would involve one woman on the roster and a lot of times it was a manager like Lana or they'd take one of the active girls and essentially turn them into a manager like they did with AJ Lee and Dolph Ziggler or Alexa Bliss and the Fiend. The girls have definitely come a long way from being cheap heat props and t*ts and ass. This Bianca story is interesting because it's not just some generic title shot narrative and it actually builds upon previous history and her reactions and feelings are logical.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
The girls have definitely come a long way from being cheap heat props and t*ts and ass. This Bianca story is interesting because it's not just some generic title shot narrative and it actually builds upon previous history and her reactions and feelings are logical.
It happened relatively slowly so i didnt even realize. I’ve wanted them to go beyond “we used to be best friends now we’re enemies” and “its my turn to win the belt” fueds, and they’ve gotten there slowly. They’re using their rivalries and history better and kayfabe logic in the sport improved as such.

I think this might be why so many little girls look up to the woman’s wrestlers as heroes more than they used to.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It happened relatively slowly so i didnt even realize. I’ve wanted them to go beyond “we used to be best friends now we’re enemies” and “its my turn to win the belt” fueds, and they’ve gotten there slowly. They’re using their rivalries and history better and kayfabe logic in the sport improved as such.

I think this might be why so many little girls look up to the woman’s wrestlers as heroes more than they used to.

Some will disagree with me but Sasha vs. Bayley changed the game. Yes, women's wrestling was already somewhat separated from the men by this point and seeds were being planted but that is THE match that showed that the women can be just as over as the men IN THE RING...

Packed house in Brooklyn and all anyone was talking about after the show was Sasha vs. Bayley. They both came out with grand entrances and then they absolutely killed it out there in front of a molten crowd.

It's one of the most important matches in recent wrestling history because it literally changed how they book 30-40% of the shows.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
My brain instantly went to "nah, that's bs" but since the Revolution I think you've probably got a point. I guess wrestling also has an advantage from the sheer number of storylines it gets through - plenty pass the test these days, but you've still got women like Scarlett in the old-school ornament role.

Look at all the Damage Ctrl stuff - not a man in sight and not the slightest need for one.

Probably my least favourite womens angle lately has been the one where AEW are injecting a Cool Hand Ang relationship angle into Saraya and Ruby breaking up. Corny as shyt.