How Africa Is Building a $3 Trillion Free-Trade Future

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
This :mjcry: me

Intra-Africa trade currently stands at about 16 percent of the continent’s total, compared with 19 percent in Latin America and 51 percent in Asia. The agreement could increase this by half, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa estimates. Joined together, the continent’s combined GDP would be almost the size of the Germany’s, which would give Africans a stronger voice in global trade negotiations, according to AU Commission Chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat.

You'd think with the quadrillion (US) dollars in resources the continent's GDP would be much higher. Hopefully they make sure that foreign countries don't take advantage (ie. have the opportunities to thoroughly abuse) the free trade zones.

Even though Nigeria and South Africa are hold outs. Kenya, Ghana, and Rwanda may make that a non issue in the next 5 to 10 years if growth continues uninterrupted.

I'm also beginning to think that there is an unsaid White Supremacy block in Africa. Namely, Nigeria, South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, and Botswana. I'm not saying that because I think they are c00ns. I don't think that. However, their sources of income is very much (if not too much) influenced by Western countries.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Lots of good. Lots of good.

Be wary of the bad.

It doesn't stop at being a free trade agreement, none of these do.

The European Union was originally just a coal agreement between European countries. Then it became an agreement for free trade, then free movement of people, then a unified currency, and now It's a governing body (that some argue is not exactly democratic).

So it's a lot of good, but ultimately the goal is a unified government of Africa, but what does that look like and how democratic will it be? Then like anything else when you have a single entity controlling a huge amount of territory, the lobbyist now can :eat: at scale only seen in China and India, cause like anything else politicians can be corrupted to vote based on gifts they are receiving, but now impacting a whole continent and not just a single country.

If today, Africa united as a single governing body, it would be the same population as China and India, and then surpass it.

I'm just saying be Critically Objective Thinkers.

I think it's great movement for the future, but just be aware of the players that start to circle the wagons.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/#/forums/372

Last edited:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
You'd think with the quadrillion (US) dollars in resources the continent's GDP would be much higher. Hopefully they make sure that foreign countries don't take advantage (ie. have the opportunities to thoroughly abuse) the free trade zones.

I'd imagine Africa's lack of infrastructure in certain areas/countries would be a big hurdle. I imagine that the GDP would rise dramatically if there were more investment into that.

It's as good a first step as one can hope for, IMO.
Then, someday, Wakanda won't just be a dream :bpbanderas:

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
India ain’t getting shyt

However, in modern days —and with the expansion of diplomatic and commercial representations,— India has now developed ties with most of the African nations. In 2015 trade between India & Africa stood at US$ 90 billion making India the fourth largest trading partner of Africa.

India-Africa Brief | IDCR