How come skin bleaching never became big in black America like it did in Africa & the Caribbean?

Daps
Because Black Americans always had a massive push to love yourself and how you look.

We did NOT always have this. The push for black people to love who we are started with the Nation of Islam. Before that, black people were using lightening cream and conking our hair.

James Brown did an interview where he said he got the idea for "I'm black and I'm proud" from the teachings of Elijah Muhammad.

Black people were proud to be called "negro" before that. Jesse Jackson said this in 1975 as well. That when all the other black leaders were referring to themselves as negroes, Elijah Muhammad was the only one telling black people that we should be proud to be black.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Pre 1960s.....60+ years ago. We in 2022 now & it's still big in other parts of the world.
You missed the point now, the same way the point was missed when I mentioned this previously.
I mentioned that date specifically because migration of Black immigrants was largely to 6- 10 metro areas in the country before then. The ads ran in national and regional newspapers across the country though. Not limited to the metro areas with influx of foreign born Blacks.
Market existed then here, as it exists now.

Your thouggt

FrontoBama

U Can’t Reach The Sun
Daps
Reppin
Knicks & Dimes
Here‘s a page from sister Assata Shakur’s autobiography about skin bleaching..

C4-B55758-2569-431-E-AE1-C-CC19-E089927-D.png

Not even gonna mention Louisiana.

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
bleaching in america isnt seen as wonderful because we see actual white people everyday...

getting a few shades lighter hits harder when you are only comparing yourself to other black ppl like in Africa etc....

:yeshrug:

what percentage of blk americans would you say use spot removers?

and would you agree spot removers lighten the skin?

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
what percentage of blk americans would you say use spot removers?

and would you agree spot removers lighten the skin?
do you mean spot removers for removing spots like its made for?

or spot removers to apply all over to lighten their overall skintone?