How Come We Haven't Seen A Hip Hop Equivalent of Steph Curry?

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
:jbhmm: I was pondering this earlier today trying to figure out why. First let me explain what I mean.

Steph Curry is the son of Dell Curry. Dell had a pretty solid career overall. Both his sons make it to the NBA. Most of the time, sons of NBA players are lucky if they can even come close to the success of their dads. But Steph not only matched it, he surpassed it by miles. MVP awards, NBA championship, multiple All Star appearances, etc.

That said, I'm wondering why there hasn't been a son or daughter of a rapper that has surpassed their parent's success in the rap game. Most kids of rappers who try barely make some noise in the industry.

Rev Run's sons tried it. Jojo crashed and burned right out the gate. Diggy was marginally successful as a teeny bopper rapper (even though dude's whole style is Drake-lite).

The only one who comes to mind who really had potential was Cory Gunz. When I heard his verse on 6'7', it blew me away :whoo: But like most YMCMB artists not named Nicki or Drake, his career went nowhere :francis:

So why y'all think we haven't seen a really successful rapper kid make it big in the industry? The genre is still relatively young at about 40 years old. But you'd think in that time, someone's kid would've made it. Maybe there is a good example that I'm just not thinking of right now.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Cause most rappers are extremely hungry....literally and figuratively. For what's it's worth, there is usually at some level, even if exaggerated sometimes, actual barriers that had to be crossed even beyond the music.

When you are Justin Combs or Jojo Simmons or Lil Romeo Miller you have no authentic genuine struggle that most can relate too. Even if you are talented, nobody wants to hear your rhymes of struggle.............with a silver spoon in your mouth. It's not compelling.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
People dont take em seriously. Hip-hop is a genre where being "privileged" is an L.

Rappers offspring are privileged for the most part and never lived that life or they had an easy route into the biz to begin with, which makes ppl lose respect.

Nobody wants to hear a privileged rich kid or somebody who got in the game cuz of their daddy rapping really.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
The only one who comes to mind who really had potential was Cory Gunz. When I heard his verse on 6'7', it blew me away :whoo: But like most YMCMB artists not named Nicki or Drake, his career went nowhere :francis:

So why y'all think we haven't seen a really successful rapper kid make it big in the industry? The genre is still relatively young at about 40 years old. But you'd think in that time, someone's kid would've made it. Maybe there is a good example that I'm just not thinking of right now.

The hilarious thing is we looked at 6 foot 7 foot as washed up Cory Gunz. Dude had released a couple tracks back in 2004/2005. something like that. and we were like :damn: "imagine when this kid gets older." 6 foot 7 foot is :trash: for everyone involved.

He remains the best example of kid taking father's sauce to another level - though dude failed ultimately and still didn't surpass Pops

The Fire

way more chemical than political
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
1. hip hop is a lot younger than basketball, fewer generations have elapsed
2. rappers/entertainers in general don't make the best parents
3. consequence of 2, a lot of their kids end up gay or fruity :usurebreh:

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
Genetics are much more difficult to pass down when it comes to musical ability vs athletic ability.

If a NBA player has children there's a good chance their off spring is going to be athletically gifted off top, combine that with the knowledge of game their parents will give them, they have a head start on a lot of people. Plus you have established routes to get to the league. HS/AAU/College and scouting

Rap is a lot of luck and good timing. You're dependent on a lot of people if you want to make it in rap

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Hip Hop is still a young genre. Remember we're just NOW entering the stage where older rappers like Nas, Jay-Z, Lauryn Hill, etc. can tour and drop albums and still be considered relevant and iconic.

Gil Scott-Heroin

āœŠšŸæ
Daps
I think it's pretty self-explanatory - rap as an artform is built on hunger, hardships, creativity, authenticity and relatability. If you're born into success, chances are you're never going to dress in most of those things.

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Cory Gunz had it but dropped the ball

So much potential wasted for no good reason :smh: