How does one become an adult contemporary R&B producer/songwriter in this day & age?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
Through my mom & grandma, I grew up listening to the classics i.e. Vandross, Boyz II Men, the Leverts, Gap Band, Anita Baker, Otis Redding, Brian McKnight, etc. I'm a fan of the more romantic "hold your hand, buy you roses" type of R&B music that the guys above brought, not the freaky, sex-crazed type stuff of the newer generation.

I was a good singer as a youth (I was in my church's choir and I won awards for chorus at school) but I stopped singing around high school once I found out most male choir members are mad homo. However, over the last several months, I regained my love for R&B music again and started practicing. Creating new melodies in my head comes easy as hell to me, and I recently copped a Roland JD-XI as a Christmas gift to myself and started practicing making beats. As far as production, I'm a fan of the typical guys. Babyface, Soulshock & Karlin, Barry Eastmond, Joe, Brian McKnight, Darkchild, Bryan Cox, those type of dudes. But as far as who's career I'd love to mimic the most, it'd have to be Rico Love, The Dream & Babyface. They made great R&B albums for themselves, but the majority of their fame came from writing & producing smashes for other people:obama: I have a face for radio so I know I'll probably never blow as a solo R&B artist, but I love the artform, so I want to give my time to this music genre however possible. I love other forms of music as well, like I practice reggae, world fusion, smooth jazz, & Latin jazz/bossa nova music. But R&B is my real true passion & the most well known genre among all of these. Any Coli R&B artists/veterans in the music industry, care to help?

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Take it back old school breh..

Guys like Gamble and Huff,Teddy Riley,Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis,Zapp

Look at Bruno..dude got hits with those samples, and them Roger Troutman inspired guitar licks.

Daps
First off, props for continuing to follow your dream. The fact that you're even willing to do this in a songwriting role shows that you have a genuine love for music and that's something that a lot of aspiring "artists" today lack.

Secondly, I'd honestly say your best bet now is going from the ground up with networking. Just try to work with as many singers/performers in your area. Something like songwriting is based around having a reputation and the only way you can build that is by having a good list of people who have seen your talents.

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Getting your music to be heard is the first step imo... like uploading it to Soundcloud and such. Also building your social media presence would help and making connections would also help as well. What I've observed about the industry is that it's about association and knowing the right people.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Hit showcases, open mics, shyt like that. It may be lively underground scene or a weak one depending on where you’re at. But hit shyt like that to connect with local artist and producers.

At those event, everyone is networking. Exchange numbers with people and tell them what you do. Independent artist love free shyt. So if you got beats, tell them you have beats. Tell them that you are a songwriter and would like to collab. Try to find someone that can compliment you and vice versa. If you not that great on the production, but are a great writer, get with someone who is ill with the beats.

With what you are trying to do, it’s best to demo tracks. You may need a producer and a vocalist, then you can add the writing. Y’all can demo tracks and worry about getting them to the right people artist after that.

Last but not least, if you doing it for the love of the music, just do what you do best and make music/songs and what will supposed to happen will happen. If you don’t break into the industry, it’s still all good cause you enjoy what you do. I make hip hop beats. I don’t give a fukk if no one ever even heard my beats (which nobody dosent for the most part) I just love chopping samples and making beats. Over the years, I have sold some beats without even trying. Just stay true to the music

Daps
Hit showcases, open mics, shyt like that. It may be lively underground scene or a weak one depending on where you’re at. But hit shyt like that to connect with local artist and producers.

At those event, everyone is networking. Exchange numbers with people and tell them what you do. Independent artist love free shyt. So if you got beats, tell them you have beats. Tell them that you are a songwriter and would like to collab. Try to find someone that can compliment you and vice versa. If you not that great on the production, but are a great writer, get with someone who is ill with the beats.

With what you are trying to do, it’s best to demo tracks. You may need a producer and a vocalist, then you can add the writing. Y’all can demo tracks and worry about getting them to the right people artist after that.

Last but not least, if you doing it for the love of the music, just do what you do best and make music/songs and what will supposed to happen will happen. If you don’t break into the industry, it’s still all good cause you enjoy what you do. I make hip hop beats. I don’t give a fukk if no one ever even heard my beats (which nobody dosent for the most part) I just love chopping samples and making beats. Over the years, I have sold some beats without even trying. Just stay true to the music

Do you have a Soundcloud or something of that nature where you post your stuff?

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
I think you should take inspiration from your idols and flip it. No one wants to listen to heartfelt ballads but like you said no one really truly likes the sex crazed shyt that's pushed today.

If I were you I'd meet a middle ground and do something in the lane Jodeci/Kci & Jojo and Dru Hill had in the mid-90s. That shyt was so hard and funky. Try to get your demographic but be different. No trap beats please!

Like another in the thread said, just be happy that you're following your dreams.

Another poster mentioned that it is all about making the right associations rather than betting on your own pure talent to get your foot in the door.

I'd personally like to add that you should give yourself a time scale to achieve your dream and if it doesn't happen in that time say 32 years old before you start looking :flabbynsick:. Essentially just know when to quit.

In the immortal words of Biggie Smalls, "being broke and 30 gives a nikka the chills...":pachaha::mjcry:

Have a back up plan. So in the unlikelihood that you don't meet your goal you'll have something to fallback on.

There's nothing worse than giving your all and having nothing to show for it.

:salute: Peace 2 u, I hope u find success. Love u nikka!:dame: (too much?)

Colilluminati

TAMRON HALL STAN
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MiddleWest
First of all throw all your talent out the window . Get some auto tune and just say what everyone else is saying .

Finesse

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Gotham
build a fanbase online? reach out to contemporary r&b musicians and podcasters through twitter?