How Dollar General became rural America's store of choice

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
That thing about camo there is pretty interesting. I went to a high school graduation ceremony in a town like this. The town honestly just got its first dunkin donuts last week, no fukking lie. These towns are littered across Indiana. I'm in a suburbia portion of Indiana. Anyways, this will stick with me forever and it speaks to a lot of things. They had students stand a total of four times, for various things. For the students that were on the honor roll, to stand. They got light applause. For those that got an educational diploma, to stand. They got light applause. For those that got a technical diploma to stand as well, light applause as well. :francis: Last, they said that those that are going to go to any branch of the armed forces to stand. The section I was in and all other parts of the bleachers turned into this

untitled-1foshn.gif

I ain't never seen no shyt like that in my life, it sounded like a fukking stampede of wild animals like the shyt running in Jumanji. It's surreal to even think about. Here is a town 30 minutes from me and we look at this thing called life totally different.

Sad. The American education system has failed them just like in urban centers. A lot of these kids that enlist come from nothing and use the military as a way out of poverty/small towns and to an education. All of that PTSD for a GI bill, VA home loan, and a shot at full pension that only 20% of veterans utilize. Not to mention higher underemployment rates. Your commentary helps me better I understand this bit in the article:

Coca-Cola Co. created a line of soda cans for the chain this spring that carry such labels as “Service Member” and “Military Spouse” because many Dollar General shoppers have a personal link to the armed forces. Stores started selling cigarettes in 2012, a few years before CVS Health Corp. and Costco Wholesale Corp. moved to phase out tobacco sales.
Corporations taking advantage of their ignorance. High fructose corn syrup and cancer sticks.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
and family dollar dots urban areas.

same philosophy. take advantage of broke people with the illusion of cheap prices. if cvs is selling a gallon of milk for $2.99 (florida prices) and the dollar store is selling a half gallon for $2. buying the half gallon isn't saving you any money. you're being taken advantage of because $2 is all you have.
pretty much.

dollar general. dollar tree. 99C clearance. Whatever the fukkn name is. All that shyt is a rip off. The only way to save is to buy in bulk which may require you to put up more upfront.

This isn't the 90s anymore. You're not walking in any of these stores with a dollar and walking out with something of value.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
i'm confused. i see them all over orlando. family dollar, dollar general and dollar tree.
I'm being extremely technical here of course.

But the dollar store clientele is extremely focused. It's not in every "suburb" because every suburb does not want a dollar store, much like every suburb does not want a walmart, or the customers those stores bring.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
There are also a lot of these in Brooklyn and I hate to say the customers get ractchet as fukk in there...... but they get ratchet as fukk in these stores. Even the Cashiers seem a step slower than at other stores.

The one around me got robbed twice and a guy got stabbed in front of it the first year it was there. Cops caught on and made the rounds more to deter that, but it definitely has a certain type of clientele in NYC.