How important are grandparents for grandchildren?

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Never met any of my grandparents.

My mother’s side both died rather young living that country life before I was even born. My father’s both stayed in Africa, both dying when I was young.

Just curious whether grandparents have an heavy impact on grandchildren’s life.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
Extremely.

Grandparents, at least on the mother's side for the most part, enrich the kids in ways that parents can't or don't. They are also the door to learn about the extended family...which that whole entire concept is dying off with the boomers weirdly enough.

Rockstar Mom

PhatGurlSwag
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn!!!!!
Some of my best childhood memories were spending the summer down south with my grandma. I miss her:mjcry:

I keep the tradition alive with my kids. They go right to grandma and grandpa every summer:blessed:Just for half the summer though.

I think family in general is very important. Sleepovers with cousins. Listening to your crazy uncle tell his war stories. Family reunions. They all shape your childhood.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
All four are important to me. Only got 1 left. I talked to them more than I did my own parents. I always couldn't wait to go down to Carolina for the summer to stay with my grandparents.

Like breh above said, they're a good way to know extended family (Great aunts, great uncles and all their kids).

I guess that would be one of the downsides of having kids at an older age. Don't have enough time to get to know your grandparents. My parents and grandparents all had kids young though.

Last edited:

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
all mine are dead, 1 died before i was even born and the rest i only met 1-2 times as they lived in another country :yeshrug:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good grandparents are invaluable, but just like with any other relationship, there are good grandparents and there are horrible ones. If you're not fortunate enough to have your grandparents around or if they suck, there are ways to "adopt" that energy through other elderly/older people. I know the pandemic makes it tough, but volunteering in a senior community can be really rewarding.

Through experiences and connections we take on non blood relatives as family all the time and I don't see anything different if you're missing and/or craving a grandparent connection.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I didn't have the chance to enjoy their presence, so I don't know what I'm missing.

I wish I had though, just so to compile their stories and own recollection of the family's.

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Good grandparents are invaluable, but just like with any other relationship, there are good grandparents and there are horrible ones. If you're not fortunate enough to have your grandparents around or if they suck, there are ways to "adopt" that energy through other elderly/older people. I know the pandemic makes it tough, but volunteering in a senior community can be really rewarding.

Through experiences and connections we take on non blood relatives as family all the time and I don't see anything different if you're missing and/or craving a grandparent connection.
I have never heard of bad grandparents lol

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Extremely.

Grandparents, at least on the mother's side for the most part, enrich the kids in ways that parents can't or don't. They are also the door to learn about the extended family...which that whole entire concept is dying off with the boomers weirdly enough.

My grandmother on my fathers side was more important since the other one was always sick. And I had more cousins my age on that side. It really depends.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I only really knew my mom's mom (Belgian side), and she was very important. Not so much as talking that much to her (she was already old, my mom was her youngest and I'm my mom's youngest) even though we did have some nice conversations and she was quite witty and fun, but just knowing she was around, kind of brought a stability to me, even more so once I moved to Europe going at her place was the only "refuge" I had. I knew my father's parents, but since they didn't speak french and I was not taught centralafrican languages I could never even talk to them :mjcry:Imagine all the stories and knowledge that I lost :snoop:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never knew my grandparents on either side so I can't really say for myself but for my child, super important to form that special bond.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
My grandmother on my fathers side was more important since the other one was always sick. And I had more cousins my age on that side. It really depends.

I feel you, that's why I added for the most part. I know some fams that have a much stronger father's side too.

• Dap
Reactions: TEH