How police took $53,000 from a Christian band, an orphanage and a church

yyy

All Star
Daps
How police took $53,000 from a Christian band, an orphanage and a church
What happened to Eh Wah is known as civil asset forfeiture. It comes from a relatively obscure corner of the law that allows authorities to seize cash and property from people they suspect of a crime. In most states, and under federal law, authorities get to keep the proceeds regardless of whether the person is ever convicted, or even charged, with criminal wrongdoing.

Under civil forfeiture, the burden of proof is on the property owner to prove their innocence to get their stuff back. This turns the common criminal-law principle on its head: When it comes to civil forfeiture, you are guilty until proven innocent.

Two years ago a wide-ranging Washington Post investigation shined a spotlight on the practice, finding that, since Sept. 11, 2001, more than $2.5 billion in cash seizures had occurredon the nation's highways without either a search warrant or an indictment. Those findings prompted some limited steps toward reform at the federal level.

But the forfeitures uncovered by The Post investigation, and the reforms taken to limit them, happened under the auspices of federal law. There is a completely different universe of forfeiture activity that happens strictly under state law.

Oklahoma has some of the most permissive forfeiture laws in the nation, according to a 2015 report by the Institute for Justice, a civil liberties law firm. The group gave the state a D-minus on its civil forfeiture laws, citing no conviction required to forfeit, poor protections for innocent property owners and a statute that allows up to 100 percent of forfeiture proceeds to go directly back to law enforcement, creating a possible profit motive.
Be safe and smart out here

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
:dahell:

The devil is busy!

You serious, breh?!

dead serious. remember reading an article about it. cops in Oklahoma out of all places were the ones who were first starting to utilize it. I think parts of OK near Texas are considered high intensity drug trafficking area so they were seeing a lot of dudes on stops with no cash but a pocket full of visa vanillas. im too lazy to do the googles right now bro but if you google it you'll see :sadcam:

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
There was a music producer from Detroit who was moving out to LA to work and what not and ended up getting his whole bankroll he took with him for the move, seized by the cops, when they came and started searching people on the Amtrak he was on. Ballpark $10,000 from what I remember. I think his name was Joe Kush. I wonder what ever happened with that. He was on an early episode of the Taxstone podcast talking about that I think right when the podcast had just started. its crazy

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I love this part.

"Marvellous said he is astonished that something like this could happen in the United States. He said he always has held a high opinion of the country and has been grateful for how Americans opened their doors to Karen refugees like Eh Wah.

"We thought America was the best in the world," he said. "But unfortunately this happened, and it made us [think] like American police are the same as our police in Burma."