How the autobiography of a Muslim slave is challenging an American narrative

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Omar Ibn Said was 37 years old when he was taken from his West African home and transported to Charleston, South Carolina, as a slave in the 1800s. Now, his one-of-a-kind autobiographical manuscript has been translated from its original Arabic and housed at the Library of Congress, where it “annihilates” the conventional narrative of African slaves as uneducated and uncultured.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
I’m going to check this out later. Story sounds really interesting. I’ve seen photos of graves of slaves that were muslims as well buried here in America.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
An estimated 5% of African slaves kidnapped and transported to the New World were Muslims and we KNOW that many tribes in Africa had been civilized for centuries BEFORE European colonization so this is just more ammo to fire at racists and the stupid revisionists on this board who don't know Black history.​

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
An estimated 5% of African slaves kidnapped and transported to the New World were Muslims and we KNOW that many tribes in Africa had been civilized for centuries BEFORE European colonization so this is just more ammo to fire at racists and the stupid revisionists on this board who don't know Black history.​

it was closer to 25%

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Goat poster said:
Wasn’t Kunta Kente Muslim in Roots?

Fiddler was mad as hell when Kunta turned down that pork.

“Das good eatin” :damn:

He was portrayed as a 'cultural' Muslim. Just followed the practices/customs.

The majority of enslaved Africans were NOT 'savages' as many have been lead to believe. They had civilization, culture, morals, etc. Most of the Africans brought over here were, in fact, Christians BEFORE they were even captured. I used to know the breakdown, but I need to revisit that information. Suffice it to say that very few of them were 'running around naked in the jungle' when they were captured. Their leaders were incited to war against one-another by Europeans in order to gain war captives to trade for goods and services.

EDIT: Goddamn I can't watch this series ever again. I saw it first-run on ABC when I was in Elementary school and have been MAD at 'White' people ever since.​

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Also annihilates the theory that they were not African

combine this with the fact that they went "shopping" for labor knowing who was skilled in Masonry and Agriculture etc... it was a targeted operation and it kills the idea that it was a free for all.

Europe was aware of the African Kingdoms that came before like the Mali Empire.

TRY GOD

BOTH SIDES.
Daps
Reppin
GOD
SO THE AGENDA IS TO CHANGE THE ADOS NARRATIVE TO THERE BEING "AFRICAN SLAVES," SO AFRICANS CAN GET ADOS REPARATIONS:tnnohomo:

Daps
:dahell: Y'all nikkas really thought African slaves in the 1800s didn't have culture, religion and education.

You thought they came from the stone ages :mjlol:

The education system, doesn't teach those things, and white supremacists spread the lie that we were swinging from trees, they civilized us.

Civilized...by enslaving, beating, and raping us