How was it when The College Dropout came out?

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
I personally remember the chatter being , is Dame/Jay really gonna put out an album of a dude who's better skill is producing over rapping?

Up until that time only the chronic 1 & 2 were the only credible mega selling albums/ from producers who also rapped.

The streets ate up almost anything the Roc put out at that time but there was some skepticism about if Kanye had any other joints than through the wire until Jesus Walks came out.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
because of Jay Z..

Kanye never connected with black Folks

Kanye is a despicable c00n today but this is NOT TRUE.

There was a time when he first came out when Black folks loved Kanye.

Black folks rode with Kanye when he said “George Bush Doesn’t Care About Black People” all the way up to him getting in Taylor Swift’s ass for being an overrated white woman.

Kanye started losing black people when he hooked up with the Kardashians and started acting cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
:mjlol: @ people saying nikkas wasn’t listening to Kanye.

nikkas really mentioning diplomats?
:gucci:

Like Kanye want bigger than all them nikkas combined.

Like Kanye want bigger than every nikka in g-unit minus 50.

Kanye was the biggest rapper out not named 50, Eminem, OutKast and maybe Nelly. It was one of the big albums of the year. Sold and was critically acclaimed.

fukking dipset. :mjlol:

Last edited:
Daps
It was dope, he was completely different to anything out at the time...his whole style etc. The album was just amazing to me. 'Never let me down' when I first heard it :wow:

And ending the album with 'Last Call' and him talking through getting his deal etc.

It was just the start of something special. Damn shame what has come of him lately but those days were amazing.

MoneyBags

Dapper Don Don Boss of Bosses Chief of Chiefs
Daps
Reppin
East Side!
It was like when Drake first came out to me, I was like nikkas actually listen to this Steve Urkel ass rapper? I always loved his beats though, but didn’t (and still don’t) take him serious as a rapper.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Yea I remember it being very different from what everyone else was doing at the time. He dropped this one leading up to the album with snippets and those Get Well Soon mixtapes
R-9220249-1476896889-3507.jpeg.jpg

He even had an instrumental album where he had brief interludes before the instros came on talking about what he was doing and how he made the beats.

CDALB10947_550_1.jpg

And then the advanced dropped and floated around for a while. Some songs got changed (All Falls Down, Jesus Walks) and other got left off (The Good The Bad The Ugly). It was weird b/c the advance was around for so long that when his official album dropped and those additions were made, it kind of boosted his cache even more b/c of the hits on it. Kanye was a star by then and he was making the rounds. A lot of albums started to become sample heavy (Scarface-The Fix, and the Dipset mixtapes especially Vol. 4).
I’m have to check those Ye tapes

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I remember being a kid consuming every leak, searching for every track I could possibly find that he produced. That album dominated that year for me and much of the next year. It was that dope. I remember some "real hip hop" people hating on it, saying Dilla was better etc. But it was just that. hate. Felt like one of many examples of purists having zero interest in actual songwriting. No Kanye wasn't the best rapper. His flow sounded childish at times. But he was dope as fukk overall on that album, and even some of the worst bars were meaningful or comical.

They weren't lying, might’ve even been me :mjlol:.

Album was dope to me though, leaving the early 20's and heading into the mid 20's this album provided some perfect soundscapes for myself/and group around that time. Dropout and Late Registration, although I'd say Late Registration was more pivotal.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Kanye is a despicable c00n today but this is NOT TRUE.

There was a time when he first came out when Black folks loved Kanye.

Black folks rode with Kanye when he said “George Bush Doesn’t Care About Black People” all the way up to him getting in Taylor Swift’s ass for being an overrated white woman.

Kanye started losing black people when he hooked up with the Kardashians and started acting cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

:mjlol: @ people saying nikkas wasn’t listening to Kanye.

nikkas really mentioning diplomats
:gucci:

Like Kanye want bigger than all them nikkas combined.

Like Kanye want bigger than every nikka in g-unit minus 50.

Kanye was the biggest rappers out not named 50 or Eminem and maybe Nelly. It was one of the big albums of the year. Sold and was critically acclaimed.

fukking dipset. :mjlol:

Facts