Hulk Hogan explains why he didn't do the job for Bret Hart back in '93

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
The good guy vs. good guy reasoning makes sense. All that other stuff feels like a lie. He probably didn't think Bret Hart had the pedigree or potential to be privileged with a win versus him a singles match.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
The good guy vs. good guy reasoning makes sense. All that other stuff feels like a lie. He probably didn't think Bret Hart had the pedigree or potential to be privileged with a win versus him a singles match.

i dunno, i don't think fans were in the habit yet of booing the babyfaces.

bret was not a huge star, at least not on the same scale as hogan, but he was still very popular. on the other hand, hogan's star in WWF was beginning to fade.

at worst maybe the crowd still sides with hogan, but i still don't see an instance where bret gets booed out of the building like that. he was the next guy in line and i'm sure if he had won there would have been a pop regardless.

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
i dunno, i don't think fans were in the habit yet of booing the babyfaces.

bret was not a huge star, at least not on the same scale as hogan, but he was still very popular. on the other hand, hogan's star in WWF was beginning to fade.

at worst maybe the crowd still sides with hogan, but i still don't see an instance where bret gets booed out of the building like that. he was the next guy in line and i'm sure if he had won there would have been a pop regardless.

Oh yea, the booing part was ridiculous. I forgot to clarify that . I don't think the angle/match of a babyface Bret vs. babyface Hogan would be that interesting. If one of them had turned heel, preferably Hogan, I think they could've had something cooking.

Daps
Oh yea, the booing part was ridiculous. I forgot to clarify that . I don't think the angle/match of a babyface Bret vs. babyface Hogan would be that interesting. If one of them had turned heel, preferably Hogan, I think they could've had something cooking.

I actually feel the opposite the audience rocking with a rising smaller babyface technician vs the top babyface showman would've been dope considering at the time in WWF the closest Hogan's ever faced to a technician was Macho (even then i wouldn't primarily classify Macho as a technical wrestler). He's right face vs face had been done but not as a scenario were Hogan was now the Goliath to Bret's David (role reversal from WM3).

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
let hogan tell it and he wanted to lose all the time.

if you scour every interview over the past 10 years you will find clips of hogan claiming that he wanted to lose to just about everyone. on the network doc he says he wanted to "trade the belt back and forth" with piper because it would have made a whole bunch of money (even though he never did it with randy who was an even bigger star). on the jericho podcast he claims he was super stoked about losing to warrior and even says he would have been "more than happy" to job to andre at mania 3. i even once heard him say that HE APPROACHED BISCHOFF about dropping the belt to goldberg.

no wonder hollywood ran for president back in 98, dude is the master bullshyt artist. :blessed:
The piper thing I didn't get , since piper wouldn't let hogan pin him

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
nah, its not a hulktale at all, but the core logic of "we had me go over yoko as to not hurt bret's momentum :myman:" is just garbage. He probably believes it, but bret LOSING to yoko then having HOGAN lose to YOKO then later yoko gets his WIN BACK, makes the heirarchy

Yoko
HOGAN
BRET

then LUGER shows up, powerslams YOKO, beats him at summerslam via countout and TIES royal rumble 94 with bret so the further heirarchy goes

Yoko
hogan
LUGER = Bret

basically bret was buried QUITE CLEARLY for exactly a year; you can't tell me for a second the motivation was for bret's benefit at all. Luger would've been over him for the foreseeable future if he hadn't totally failed.

Not to mention Yoko destroyed Hulkamania and Luger was slamming and throwing Yoko all year

so it was really

Luger
Yoko
Lex Express
Harvey Whippleman's fire camera
"Retired" Hogan
Mr Fuji's salt bag
Bret

Last edited:

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps

That would have changed the course of history in a MAJOR way

Truth200

Banned
Daps
i dunno, still feel like it's too hard to trust hogan here.

how does a win against "the guy that beat hogan" serve bret any better than a win against hogan outright? :patrice:

and remember it's not like yoko beat hogan clean. he cheated as well. so i'm not sure if i buy the "bret did what hogan couldn't do" justification.

at the end of the day i can't help but think hogan just didn't want to lose to bret. either because he didn't view him as an equal or because he feared a match against the new up and coming babyface might generate some heat on him.

but of course leave it to hulk to tell us that he was just looking to "protect" the other guy. :pachaha:

i dunno.... fukk knows really.

you know somewhere bret hart is fuming though :lolbron:

Funny how they both ended up in WCW as heels.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
This is tough.I have a hard time reading it without going into the Hogan promo voice.
Nah I read in that 'Arsenio Hall show appearance' voice..Hulk sounds hilarious when lying @3:40 for the fukkery:russ:

"Basically not wanting to put a damper on Bret’s raise to the top, it was decided that Yoko would beat the Hitman at Wrestlemania 9 and prove himself to be unstoppable and basically have me come out to win beat Yoko on a whim and take the title from him to become the Champ for the last time and enjoy my final Run; which basically happened."

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
true but retarded

so they didnt want to do good guy vs good guy..

how did that work out for warrior? pretty well.

then he brings up himself vs rock..and notes it was bad guy vs good guy..but the reaction wasnt as expected.

with the right build..they easily couldve built up bret v hogan and had bret go over..instead of this scenario with the money in the bank cash-in win for hogan.

in fact, they didnt need to even put over Yoko at all. he was rising just as a menacing force as it was.

if anything, hulk didnt want to go off WWF tv laying down to Bret, then going to WCW which was under WWF as a promotion

Popi

The Greatest GOAT
Daps
Hogan's logic makes sense but the audience back then was still pretty much all kids.

So if Bret goes over Hogan clean and they shake hands after the match and Hogan rides off in the sunset, the kids that cheered for Hogan against Bret would have just accepted the outcome and been Bret Hart fans going forward. It would have only helped Bret in the long run, what does it matter if Bret gets booed against Hogan during the match if afterwards the cheers will be even louder?

Hogan kinda exposed his true intentions in this saying he felt he had a lot more left in the tank. Hogan's answer works but he was probably protecting his brand for a return to WWF or a run in WCW.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Hogan's logic makes sense but the audience back then was still pretty much all kids.

So if Bret goes over Hogan clean and they shake hands after the match and Hogan rides off in the sunset, the kids that cheered for Hogan against Bret would have just accepted the outcome and been Bret Hart fans going forward.

Hogan kinda exposed his true intentions in this saying he felt he had a lot more left in the tank. Hogan's answer works but he was probably protecting his brand for a return to WWF or a run in WCW.

that's what he's always done though. hogan has always been about himself over everything else.

was hogan a good businessman? sure, as long as it was good business for hogan.

as if the "fast count" at starrcade 97 wasn't enough. i mean if that isn't a reflection of how hogan does business then i don't know what is. good god. the one time in history where a clean loss was absolutely, positively mandatory and he couldn't even agree to that.

Truth200

Banned
Daps
that's what he's always done though. hogan has always been about himself over everything else.

was hogan a good businessman? sure, as long as it was good business for hogan.

as if the "fast count" at starrcade 97 wasn't enough. i mean if that isn't a reflection of how hogan does business then i don't know what is. good god. the one time in history where a clean loss was absolutely, positively mandatory and he couldn't even agree to that.

Hogan ended up doing some more jobs for Sting over the years tho.

Flair made Sting famous then Hogan took him to the next level as the crow which Scott Hall created for him.