I have not actively listened to rap music in a year

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Last year around March I decided to to stop actively listening to rap music.
By actively, I mean going out of my way to play it. Obviously I am going to hear it here and there, but I made it a point to not play any rap on my personal time.
I deleted all of my Spotify playlists and replaced them with other genres of music.
When I get in the car it's strictly Afrobeats, True R&B, and Island music.

Honestly it is great. I always understood the effect music can have on you, but I really felt it after removing rap from my catalog. Unfortunately majority of it is degenerate based tunes. And if you are constantly listening to that, then you are going to have some form of degenerate thinking, even if it's on a small scale. Outside of that, even sonically, it's just the same sound/lyrics over and over and over again. How many times can you say you got shooters or got the 30 on you like Steph Curry? How many different ways can the girls say they have the best pusssy and will make men trick? It gets exhausting.

I have even noticed I have reduced my usage of the N-word too. I use it occasionally inside with my close people. But once I leave the house, I have barely said it. I don't know if that is from rap or just me getting older and more mature. Either way I would say I think more positively and it's just a better experience when I listen to my music. I have found some really dope artist and dope music. My Spotify end year wrap up look way different from previous years.

I implore y'all to try it. For 6 months to a year, just stop playing rap music and see how you feel.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
congrats OP

here's your trophy

il_fullxfull.4036589586_jdgq.jpg

Jasonmask

Superstar
Daps
Love hip hop too much to do that. I don’t care how bad it gets, there’s no other genre of music trust puts you in that mood. I’m not disagreeing to what op said but I be needing that anger energy that gets me hype but also confident feeling the bravado of certain artists. Can’t be moving around listening to soul music all day thinking shyt sweet or listen to love songs simping over hoes

Daps
Unless you cutting out all degenerate music its confirmation bias breh, so much music deals with degenerate shyt and it gets a pass....... this a talking point I can't subscribe to at all because it's a sliding scale of subjectivity........

Last edited:

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
When I’m working and working out, there’s no way in hell I’m not listening to some form of hip hop throughout the day.

I’ve stopped listening to it in the car though :flabbynsick: Been getting into my Jazz bag lately