I just finished The Wire's season 5 for the first time and I loved it

Money Be Green

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Pitts
I just finished the show…

Why wasn’t it no bad bytches in the wire? Only one halfway decent was the shorty who was Baltimore City council president

The cac dock cop, Carcetti campaign advisor, and Rhonda are all :camby:
:what:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I think season 5 was really trying to shine a bright light on the dark plight of Baltimore City. From the fact that David Simon never let a true Marlo/Omar showdown happen which would have been tremendous for fans of the show. Also, Omar getting killed off by Kenard was just extremely anticlimactic and fans felt Omar deserved better. But that’s not life & Simon did an awesome job staying the course of his vision to portray Baltimore in the truest sense possible.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I rock with season 5 although it's behind 4 and 3... I promise you .. it accomplished one thing.. my absolute hatred for that fucc boi Templeton.. it is the ultimate display of cacs falling upward and there is never a time where I don't watch it and feel that way.. especially when it's a black man with integrity trying to stop his bytch ass
For sure. Dude really won a pullitzer from this shyt while the others got canned.

Rambling incoming:

What was kinda interesting to me was how the show and this season in particular touched on race. Regarding Templeton for example, I feel like they tried to make it clear that the two white guys acting like bosses (lead editors) were interested in Pullitzer prizes rather than the truth, with the buyouts and offices closures in the background of their actions.

Toward the beginning of the season, they even seem to try and hint at Gus' having some type of racial resentment (calling out his boss on a source's credibility on a racial matter because that source is white) or a personal issue with Todd (consistenly relegating him to quote gathering before he even started to lie as far as we know).

But then, you see Gus treating others exactly the same (the breh interviewing Bubs for example) and complaining about Clay Davis using the "race card", so you know it ain't that.

But all in all, there's no explicit mention that Todd being white and his bosses too allowed him to run wild as long as he did.

At the same time, there's Todd inventing lies and relying on his understanding of racial dynamics to sell them (the homeless family he created and the mother stroking her child's blond hair). There are also several mentions of how Marlo's victims aren't noticed because they're black and poor, and McNulty even says that if it was white women, it would be a whole other ordeal.

And then you got the other references to the "race card" that Clay Davis plays, or how white politicians are disavantaged in Baltimore because they're white, which is constantly reminded throughout the show.

So to end my rambling there, I appreciate the show being nuanced about it, but there's not much substance and/or clumsier than the rest of the show's dynamics. It's a little bit like Prezbylewski shooting his black colleague. Or the fact that we see not one display of explicit racism within the entire Baltimore police department in the entire show... But somehow McNulty knows enough about it to try and mimic it when he thinks it'll gain him favors from another officer.

Show doesn't seem to know what it wants to say on race besides that it's maybe, perhaps a parameter in how shyt is perceived...

Idk

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I just finished the show…

Why wasn’t it no bad bytches in the wire? Only one halfway decent was the shorty who was Baltimore City council president
I called her wifey during the entire show :lolbron: with her fine ass

Kima's pretty too. There was also the big nose FBI agent that made a couple appearances, she was cute to me.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
what about wallace and randy :mjcry:
Dukie the new Bubs.

Michael the new Omar (Had an argument with somebody who felt Michael should have been the new Avon I disagreed)

Randy the new Bodie

Namond the next Clay Davis (Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiit)

Wallace R.I.P. :mjcry:

Last edited: