I just got FL Studio...Help a breh out...

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
2nd attempt at a beat. still in progress.

this is good. a couple more of these and you can start to integrate mastering into your mixing and creating so you drums have that boom, pop and snap. your beats remind me of like pete rock, premo..where they (some of their beats) aren't overly complex (and they dont need to be). once you get the drums bumpin that's all you need to put together some piff.

HypeMan

HypeMan
Supporter
Daps
I'm late to this thread, but here some techniques that I learned that could possibly help you out.

1) When you sample, try to sequence other parts on top of your main chops, for example this can be some vocals from the original sample or a minor chop, throw a high pass fitler on it (cut out the low frequencies to remove bass, but make it extreme high pass, remove like 1000hz of low pass, [the entire left half in Paramatic EQ2]. This will remove the bass and low end, you throw that on top of your main chops, and you good money, it will make your sequence stand out more, and it will help make the beat sound less repetitive, you can use that for a chorus or half of a verse.

This is an example of what I mean, we took a main sample and had it loop for the whole beat, but threw on there some minor chops and vocals from the main song we sampled from:

2) Another technique which is useful is to sample from drum breaks and drum loops. This technique has been used by the old heads since the beginning of hip hop. It's a technique that is kinda dying down, but is very useful to make your beats sound complete.

This is an example of that [this example also has the technique I mentioned above with the sample chops]:

Another example using technique 1:

Also as you keep practicing, don't just loop over the same drum patterns. You should make different unique patterns, such as a beat drop or a mute for the end of a verse or chorus. [Removing the kick and snare for the 1/4 of a bar]

Also experiment with having multiple drum patterns, 1 pattern can be a set kick, snare, and hi hats for 8 bars, while the next pattern has different steps on the pattern. Also experiment with adding in drum fills and tom rolls. More percussions, things like that. These may seem like little things, but trust me it really makes a difference.

Also experiment with playing with different effects on your samples, try adding a little reverb, a 1/4 delay, and EQ your sample. Doing this makes the sample sound fuller, especially when there is a little pause or minor mute during your chop sequences.

Another thing I recommend is, when you get more practice, try to make melodies that match your sample, this will make your sample sound even more complete. By doing this you can even have a part of the beat where you don't need to play the sample. This technique works well when making your own bassline for the beat.

If you don't know how to make a bassline yet matching your sample, one technique I've used in the past was to make a duplicate of my sample track, and on the duplicate, take off the high end (remove everything past 350hz) this makes the sample play as if it was a bassline.

Last edited:

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
^ That plus the fl slicer tutorial's pretty much cover all the basics of hip-hop production imo.

Now I'm wondering if any of the more experienced brehs can give some input on more modern production techniques ala Flying Lotus, Knxwledge, and the less known Dibia$e's, Ras G's, and MNDSGN's

Obviously for the FlyLo stuff you're gonna need sidechaining, but each one of them definitely has their own tricks to get their unique sounds, so if you've done any experimenting in their domains hit us up with your discoveries.

I've gotten some pretty good results in the Dibia$e/Pete Rock wah-wah eq effect department using the Love Philter. Use a low speed on the 'Res,' I think. Like ^ said about using minor chops, this technique is good for choruses/switch-ups.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Where we getting sound packs from?:feedme:

I had a danja pack years back that had those beatbox sample/claps/drums that they used on LoveStoned/My Love...

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
i wish i had the time/attention span to keep up with shyt and really flesh out my tracks...

posted some demos to my soundcloud. none of this shyt is finished but fukk it lol im still a beginner to the max

Slicex has been my best/worst friend throughout all of it. Still need to cop a midi controller or some shyt so i can be a little more hands on. Drums are very difficult on a regular computer keyboard for me but i'm trying :lupe:

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
@Pinyapplesuckas

Slicing and drums is pretty simple breh

Just use fruity slicer. Take a drum loop, cut it into 8, then go to the piano roll and take it from there. Or you can record yourself using QWERTY for the rough draft and clean up the hits in piano roll later.

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
@Pinyapplesuckas

Slicing and drums is pretty simple breh

Just use fruity slicer. Take a drum loop, cut it into 8, then go to the piano roll and take it from there. Or you can record yourself using QWERTY for the rough draft and clean up the hits in piano roll later.
yeah i lay a lot of my drums in slicex if im chopping a break..i just need some pads or some shyt to get a more concise hit. i also need a better computer :snoop:

i used the fruity slicer back when i first started but i like the ease of Slicex. I pretty much learned everything i know from you :salute:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
i wish i had the time/attention span to keep up with shyt and really flesh out my tracks...

posted some demos to my soundcloud. none of this shyt is finished but fukk it lol im still a beginner to the max

Slicex has been my best/worst friend throughout all of it. Still need to cop a midi controller or some shyt so i can be a little more hands on. Drums are very difficult on a regular computer keyboard for me but i'm trying :lupe:

I like the majority of these. Not the hard hittin rap beats I expected but I'm a fan. They sound better than my shyt :manny:

I'm afraid to share my beats so you doing better than you think :dead:

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
I like the majority of these. Not the hard hittin rap beats I expected but I'm a fan. They sound better than my shyt :manny:

I'm afraid to share my beats so you doing better than you think :dead:
good look breh. I dont know wtf im doing so all my shyt is a fluke for real lol. I gotta start watching tutorials again because ive coasted the last year off vids i watched when i first started. Kinda just stopped looking for new shyt to learn once the beats started to appear

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
shout outs to the brehs who helped me when i made this thread. i need to go back thru and see what makes more sense to me now than it did when i first started.

its been a few years but i havent been working on any beats consistently. actually got side tracked working on a rap project with me rhyming to someone else's tracks but recently got back into making beats and want to eventually produce a project for myself. i made an IG for my shytty demos. those soundcloud beats i posted are mostly embarrasing to listen to now lol