I just watch unbreakable for the first time in like 20 years and ..........

Genos

Superstar
Daps
:banderas::banderas::banderas:

I saw this movie once when I was a kid and I knew the twist but forgot mostly everything else. Brehs this is the GOAT super hero origin story.

Most super hero origin movies are boring as fukk for the first half where you are waiting for them to get their powers and the vast majority of the time you dont give a fukk about the villian or their reasoning.

This movie breaks that as the origin story is interesting and realistic. If you found out you had super strength before the MCU and social media you arent running out trying to fight crime. You are cautious, slowly testing yourself, making sure are not going crazy.

This shyt all builds up to him finally performing his first superhero stunt slightly showing off his super strength. He kills a villian in a struggle, who is a regular criminal. The complete opposite of most origin movies where they beat up regular criminals with ease when they first go out and by the end of the film they have to save the whole city, country, or planet.

The last thing is the cinematography is fukking amazing.:ohlawd:

This shyt is just a treat to look at. So many dope unbroken shots, it builds so much tension. The scene where he kills the intruder is incredible and has great effects slightly showing off his advanced durability. It has plenty of other great shots as well like the opening scene where Bruce is talking to that woman and it switches back and forth between the two, using the seats as the camera cuts basically but still an unbroken shot.

I just looked and this film had was not received well at release. I think it's way ahead of the time it was released so they didnt get it. I'm going to watch the other two later next week.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
It's M. Knight's best work, probably. I remember seeing it in theaters 2000, and I loved it, saw it twice. The twist felt earned, and surprising, great performances by powerhouse actors in their prime. It's the best of Knight's classical style, tasetful, and refined, with that kind of bigger budget feel, without his worst instincts, the heavy handed nature of Signs, or the absurdity of The Happening. To say nothing of his post 2008 work.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
It's M. Knight's best work, probably. I remember seeing it in theaters 2000, and I loved it, saw it twice. The twist felt earned, and surprising, great performances by powerhouse actors in their prime. It's the best of Knight's classical style, tasetful, and refined, with that kind of bigger budget feel, without his worst instincts, the heavy handed nature of Signs, or the absurdity of The Happening. To say nothing of his post 2008 work.
This (Unbreakable), Signs, and 6th Sense is the peak of M Knights work imo.

Split was good tho

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I seen this movie and forgot what the twist was. I just remember his son adding more weight to the bench press lol

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I enjoyed this movie especially cause I skipped The 6th Sense but I got to push back on the realism aspect.
Dude straight forgot he almost drowned when he was young and also didn't notice he never had a cold or the flu his whole life. lol That's not realistic.

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
I seen this movie and forgot what the twist was. I just remember his son adding more weight to the bench press lol
Mr Glass being the most fragile person knew there was a complete opposite of him that was indestructible.

So he orchestrated all these catastrophes to find him.

Genos

Superstar
Daps
I enjoyed this movie especially cause I skipped The 6th Sense but I got to push back on the realism aspect.
Dude straight forgot he almost drowned when he was young and also didn't notice he never had a cold or the flu his whole life. lol That's not realistic.
Forgetting trauma def can happen but I can give it to you for never being sick.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
It was good, but not great.

I actually think Shyamalan is great at filming emotions in the moment at an individual level and this felt as true to what would happen if a superhero was discovering his powers. The stakes just felt off-balance. It was like, once found Dunn existed, Mr. Glass didn't really seem to know what to do from there. Like a dog who chases cars. My memory is off because I haven't seen this in at least 15 years...but what was his ultimate goal beyond finding his polar opposite? He could've spent that mental energy on curing his condition.

I actually think it's why Split wasn't more well-received From critics.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

I actually think Shyamalan is great at filming emotions in the moment at an individual level and this felt as true to what would happen if a superhero was discovering his powers. The stakes just felt off-balance. It was like, once found Dunn existed, Mr. Glass didn't really seem to know what to do from there. Like a dog who chases cars. My memory is off because I haven't seen this in at least 15 years...but what was his ultimate goal beyond finding his polar opposite? He could've spent that mental energy on curing his condition.

I think he just wanted a friend or at least a relationship that mimics the hero/arch nemesis relationship in comics. Where they both don't like each other but are also obsessed and have a lot of respect for that person as well.

Genos

Superstar
Daps

In the end of the movie he said starts screaming, almost crying that he found his purpose. He needed a super hero to justify him being a villain. The literal reason for super villains in a story is to justify the need for such a powerful hero. Justification or not you need a villain to have a hero but this movie seems to be the opposite where you need a hero to have a true villain. Without Bruce Willis character, Mr. Glass is just a terrorist, just part of the general chaos of life. With Bruce Willis he is a super villain, the man who breaks so easily yet can cause untold amounts of damage, who's literal opposite is his enemy. Even his destruction is given purpose thanks to Bruce Willis as Mr. Glass kills like 400+ people and Bruce only kills one.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I think he just wanted a friend or at least a relationship that mimics the hero/arch nemesis relationship in comics. Where they both don't like each other but are also obsessed and have a lot of respect for that person as well.

In the end of the movie he said starts screaming, almost crying that he found his purpose. He needed a super hero to justify him being a villain. The literal reason for super villains in a story is to justify the need for such a powerful hero. Justification or not you need a villain to have a hero but this movie seems to be the opposite where you need a hero to have a true villain. Without Bruce Willis character, Mr. Glass is just a terrorist, just part of the general chaos of life. With Bruce Willis he is a super villain, the man who breaks so easily yet can cause untold amounts of damage, who's literal opposite is his enemy. Even his destruction is given purpose thanks to Bruce Willis as Mr. Glass kills like 400+ people and Bruce only kills one.

He's the antithetical Joker to Dunn's Batman...we've even seen this manifest in real life criminals. I get that, it just seemed stylistically inconsistent with what Shyamalan was going for.

You have this guy coming to terms with what he is in arguably the most realistic manner that we have seen portrayed on film, only for it to have a poetic curve that didn't quite tie in with the overall tone of the film.

I thought it was just a microcosm of the issue we see with all of the twists of his later films.

Genos

Superstar
Daps
He's the antithetical Joker to Dunn's Batman...we've even seen this manifest in real life criminals. I get that, it just seemed stylistically inconsistent with what Shyamalan was going for.

You have this guy coming to terms with what he is in arguably the most realistic manner that we have seen portrayed on film, only for it to have a poetic curve that didn't quite tie in with the overall tone of the film.

I thought it was just a microcosm of the issue we see with all of the twists of his later films.
It tied into the visual narrative of the film, I got this from somewhere else but there is a large theme of reflections in the film. Mr. Glass birth is a reflection, his first scene with his mom is a reflection, there are other scenes where characters talk to each other through reflections, and many characters are framed in ways that depict them in opposing manners. Even the visual style relates to how the story is told