I May Destroy You (Season 1 Discussion Thread)

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Just peeped the first episode :ld:

There's enough on there for me to tune in weekly now that Insecure is winding down. Not sure what to make of the show yet. There are some commendable elements (visuals, soundtrack, witty banter) but I've found the tone uneven so far.

The scene of Arabella dancing at the club/stumbling around after getting spiked :wow:. Great camera work on that scene.

Thoughts from the 1st episode?

Teal.

Solo Dolo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Notfit,GA
All I can say is... its interesting. I don't know the first ep seems kind of rushed and I will have to check in next week... so far its just reminding me of euphoria. :ld:

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
I can tell actor/writer/director is gonna go on beast mode in her performance

I like that she held back this first ep and made you wonder who she is really

Like she's just there to feel nice and be liked and enjoy her bf, fame and some substances

But then all that shyt starts going down

Give that real feel for how it is to be black in the UK at this moment in time

It's a character based story that could get extremely intense; not sure if there are previews for other eps - don't wanna see em

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I May Destroy You is clearly influenced, (by Insecure, and Euphoria (good point)) but uglier, and rawer, more fast paced and frenzied. The first episode was really good.

The show is hinting strongly that one of her friends did that, one of them says something like "told you she would never know"

The show was so disarraying, and frenzied, it was difficult as a "who dun it"

Urbanmiracle

Brooklyn the planet...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn son
Been watching since episode 1. That stupid ass shot glass chant threw me in. I like the mystery of it all. Especially the end of the first episode where she gets a memory flash of someone on top of her and she questions it like hmmm?

dope stuff

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
That episode was messy, sexy, beautiful, it's not really a fun watch, it demands a lot from the viewer. Will be running that back, didn't even catch everything.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I’m liking it too. I like her stuff, in general. I don’t really see the comparisons to Insecure at all.

Oh, and if you didn’t know, this airs in the UK first. The US only had 3 episodes so far, but the UK has 6. Piracy is GOAT :blessed:

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Dope first 5 eps so far. I'm so far removed from this lifestyle the whole thing just looks so toxic to me. :flabbynsick:

It definitely brought about interesting conversations with my wife and I around rape, consent etc.

I met Weruche (Girl that plays Terry) about 2 years ago as she's a friend of a good friend of mine and I thought she looked much better in person.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
4 episodes in and I’m feeling this fizzle out a bit. Some scenes drag on with no real purpose. I find myself asking “Where is this going?” quite often.

Also, this show conflates being “raw” with being gross.

There’s some social commentary stuff I have reservations on...but that's a different story for later.

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I'll post the NY Times review, which says about the same thing. It's very good, but it's a taxing watch, Insecure was so light and exhilarating, without being shallow, and this just feels so heavy and smothering. I think it is brilliant though.

Review: Michaela Coel Is Riveting in ‘I May Destroy You’

Six hours isn’t an excessive length, but filling out 12 episodes means a lot of story lines, and while the series begins and ends strongly, there are times in the middle when it loses some focus. (Coel was adamant about the rhythms of the episodic structure, even persuading the BBC not to binge-post the entire season online.)