dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
So yea, time for a new laptop. I really just need it for:
  • working on documents (resume, scripts, novel) - so portability matters
  • move my old music and pic libraries from my old laptop to it
  • maybe i'll use it to surf the net/stream (I mostly use my ipad for mindless stuff in the evening)

I'm PC gang to the fullest, hate Macs...so please don't suggest them. Old laptop is an Asus I bought in 2010, never had an issue with it, but it's old as shyt clearly, before that, Toshiba in 06, never had an issue either.

shyt has changed so much tho, I don't know what good specs are anymore :sadcam: (this is how old people get old...it's happening :sadbron: ). I also don't know if I'd be fine with one of these cheap $500 laptops/chromebooks since I'm not using it for much or should i bump my range up to ~$900?

I see HP has a lot of good reviews – they used to be shyt laptops tho, have things changed? Also seeing some Asus and Acer laptops I like...

How yall feel about this one?

Any other suggestions?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yeah, that’s good for what you want. I never say this, but it actually might be more than you need. Check out dell and lenovo too. Those Lenovo yogas are always rated very highly (and they’re pretty cool too :ehh:)

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
What you linked should be good for at least 5 years and, as the above posters stated, is actually more than what you need it for.

That's a good thing.

Just be sure to get a decent warranty on it or you're gonna pay a LOT to get simple shyt fixed. 'Decent' = parts + labor + shipping.

If you can swing remote support, do it. Local repair shops RAPE you on routine repairs/maintenance.

PS: DO NOT SAVE ANYTHING TO THE SSD!!!!!!! Keep it clean for the Operating System and the programs you routinely use.​

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
dora_da_destroyer said:
wait, what does this mean? i can't save my docs, pics, and music on my computer? or are there two memory drives? :lupe:

The SSD is where your Operating System (Windows) is installed along with a 'hidden' partition to restore it should something catastrophic happen and you need to start all over from day one.

Save all your other files (documents, videos, music, etc.) on the OTHER drive. The less stuff you have on your OS drive, the better/faster it will run and the less chance you have of something going wrong. If you look in File Explorer/This PC, you'll see multiple drives. The one you want to avoid saving anything on should be marked as "OS" or something along those lines. It should take a LONG time to fill 1 TB of storage......unless you hang out in JBO.​

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
New LG Gram and Dell XPS13
that gram is clearly hitting for macbook prices, i'm not paying that for the basic uses i have for it. and those dell specs look worse than the asus, would cost near orover a g to get the same specs. i'm also aware they have rehabbed their image, but my first laptop was a dell and was by far the WOAT computer i owned/dealt with. blue screen of death damn near every two weeks, overheating, etc :scusthov:

If it's Dell go for XPS or Latitude

Asus go for Zenbook Pro

Lenovo is good

HP :trash:
again, way more than i want to pay for what i'm going to do with it, those yoga's are too...and other lenovos are just so ugly. as for HP, the spectre and envy all seem to have good ratings

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
that gram is clearly hitting for macbook prices, i'm not paying that for the basic uses i have for it. and those dell specs look worse than the asus, would cost near orover a g to get the same specs. i'm also aware they have rehabbed their image, but my first laptop was a dell and was by far the WOAT computer i owned/dealt with. blue screen of death damn near every two weeks, overheating, etc :scusthov:

again, way more than i want to pay for what i'm going to do with it, those yoga's are too...and other lenovos are just so ugly. as for HP, the spectre and envy all seem to have good ratings

Go ahead and buy HP then

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I'm looking for a new one now. My damn Dell XPS 15 I bought three years ago has been a complete piece of shyt. I've had to send it back three different times. USB-C plug in is finicky as hell. The power chargers keep going bad because the tip is so damn sensitive so if you bump the laptop with it plugged in it can stop working. Ready to just move on from this joint.