I'm interested in IT

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
I'm a project manager for a web developing company and I'm interested in doing a career move to IT.

I have a community college near me that offers an IT program and I've spoken with a few folks there about it.

I was hoping someone on here could tell me a little bit more about choosing a career in IT and what are some of the certifications I need to focus on getting?

Would you recommend a community college or are there cheaper online courses thay could help me out?

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
What in IT are you trying to do? If you're a Project Manager in a Web Dev firm, technically, you are already in IT.
I'm not really sure. I don't know enough about IT other than I know there is the potential for me to make a lot more money than what i am now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that if I get some certs I can go to a more established business and build from there.

What are some entry level positions that people in IT usually start in?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps

Normally, Web Dev is an entry level position. You'll have to take some classes. CC or online can teach you what you need to know. It depends on what learning environment is best for you.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
Normally, Web Dev is an entry level position. You'll have to take some classes. CC or online can teach you what you need to know. It depends on what learning environment is best for you.
I prefer a class setting, but cost is definitely a factor.

I really don't want to get into a huge debt.

Are you in IT and how did you start?

Do you mind telling me about how you started?

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Have your company pay for a boot camp or have one of the Devs you PM mentor you in a 1on 1 setting.

In the latter you can actually get your hands dirty and see what you're doing from a more complete perspective.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
I'm not really sure. I don't know enough about IT other than I know there is the potential for me to make a lot more money than what i am now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that if I get some certs I can go to a more established business and build from there.

If money is your motivation, you're going to be in for disappointment as its going to take you some time to start hitting the upper level salaries.

Don't focus on certs, focus on getting the best experience you can, @Pressure's suggestion of being mentored by one of the current devs you work with is a great example of this.

IT is a broad field, how are you managing your current projects, agile, SCRUM, waterfall?

Front end and back end development is a decent field to get into, a bit saturated, but there will probably never be a shortage on need. The major thing is relevant experience, you could potentially finesse some of your current project management work for this.

Good luck.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I'm a project manager for a web developing company and I'm interested in doing a career move to IT.

I have a community college near me that offers an IT program and I've spoken with a few folks there about it.

I was hoping someone on here could tell me a little bit more about choosing a career in IT and what are some of the certifications I need to focus on getting?

Would you recommend a community college or are there cheaper online courses thay could help me out?
Before tou dive in you might want to do some more research. If you are a true PM you should be making money. To be honest with you if money is the motivation for switching to IT, you really need to do some more research. Do you hate Project Management? Why not try to advance in that field instead?

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
Before tou dive in you might want to do some more research. If you are a true PM you should be making money. To be honest with you if money is the motivation for switching to IT, you really need to do some more research. Do you hate Project Management? Why not try to advance in that field instead?
I'm making a livable wage, but I could/should be making more and i think that would be possible if I went to school and got the proper training.

I went to school for office automation, became an intern at a web developing company for about 2 months and got hired shortly after.

I don't hate project management, It's a great job.

But we do small jobs and make websites for local business

I just feel like if I had more knowledge I could take my skills to a bigger company and make more money.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV

1. Your first choice is whether you want to gain a theoretical foundation or not. Whether to gain a theoretical or practitioner underpinning.
From your comments about certificates I assume that you are taking the practitioner route.

2. Then you want to decide what you actually want to do. Is it programming, DevOps, support, admin, hardware, technical management other?

3. Then you need to decide which field you want to work in. Is that Security, Web development, Big Data, etc

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm making a livable wage, but I could/should be making more and i think that would be possible if I went to school and got the proper training.

I went to school for office automation, became an intern at a web developing company for about 2 months and got hired shortly after.

I just feel like if I had more knowledge I could take my skills to a bigger company and make more money.

IT is very broad so you're going to have to narrow down a specialty. If I were in your shoes, I'd start with the projects you're already managing. For websites, you can start with coding/scripting. PHP, Java, HTML, etc. This way you can "learn as you earn" as figure out which direction you want to go. Most project have some sort of IT component, so if your company has an IT department, see if they need you there. Start looking at the duties of the developer or analyst and that may give you some insight into technologies you want to study.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

I'm not trying to be difficult but I'm not understanding why you can't improve your project management skillset. If you insist on going this route, I can't speak on the Google class but it looks like it should cover the basics which would be a good starting point for an entry level position but that would be a step back from where you are imo.