In memory of our brother Charmander, RIP: The OFFICIAL 2019-2020 Atlanta Hawks season thread #Set

How many games will the Hawks win this season

• 29 or less

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • 30-35

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • 36-41

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • 42+ wins

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Let the whole world know i rep Zone 4
THE HAWKS’ BREAKOUT PLAYER WILL BE…
Atlanta’s breakout player will be Kevin Huerter. To be clear, Huerter will only be the third-best player on the team this season but, with John Collins and Trae Young effectively breaking out last season, it is Huerter’s time. He is already a dynamic three-point shooter but, in his second NBA campaign, he’ll combine that with steady defense and intriguing play-making to become a fully entrenched, high-level starter. There isn’t All-Star upside for Huerter this season (while there is for Collins and Young) but he projects for the biggest leap among the Hawks’ core pieces.

IT ALL GOES WRONG IF…
It all goes wrong if there’s an injury to Trae Young. In some ways, that goes without saying but, even if Young misses a relatively short chunk of time (10 or 15 games), the Hawks will be in significant trouble. On the bright side, Young was very durable during his rookie season, appearing in 81 games, but the Hawks just don’t have the roster to score consistently with the dynamic point guard on the bench. He’s the sun, moon and stars for Atlanta’s offense.

WHAT WE’LL BE SAYING ABOUT THE HAWKS AT THE END OF THE SEASON…
What we’ll be saying about the Hawks at the end of the season is that Atlanta is fun, competitive and ready to take the next step. There was already some of that buzz after the 2018-19 campaign but the decision-makers were clear that the franchise wouldn’t “skip steps” along the way. That meant that the Hawks decided to run back a (very) young roster with some holes in it for this season. With the nucleus of Trae Young, John Collins, Kevin Huerter, De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish, there will be signs of playoff-level competitiveness by March and April, all leading toward a pivotal summer.

FINAL PREDICTION
Expectations are all over the place for this Hawks team, with optimists seeing the potential for playoff contention and skeptics wondering if the squad will improve at all from last year’s 29-win benchmark. It is probably safest to split the difference, with the widespread belief that Young, Collins and Huerter will make real strides to off-set the potential downgrades in the supporting cast after the loss of Dewayne Dedmon and others. Ultimately, let’s go with a slight lean to the “over” on the Vegas win total of 33.5, knowing full well that there is more upside if things come together.

FINAL PREDICTION: 34-48

From Peachtree Hoops

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Huerter is still hurt :francis:

On Sept. 27, the Atlanta Hawks announced that second-year wing Kevin Huerter underwent an MRI to examine right knee pain. While that evaluation indicated no structural damage, Huerter was limited in the early portion of Atlanta’s training camp — with stated treatment “to reduce inflammation and increase his load tolerance” — and the 21-year-old was sidelined for the team’s first three preseason games.

In advance of Atlanta’s road game against the New York Knicks on Wednesday, the Hawks announced that Huerter would be sidelined once again and, before tip-off, head coach Lloyd Pierce provided an update on Huerter’s status.

“He tweaked his knee, or just felt a little pinge in it, on Saturday in a scrimmage. So that set him back.” Pierce said, via Peachtree Hoops alum and UPROXX Sports senior writer Robby Kalland. “We were aiming to get him to play on Monday. So the setback was from Saturday and he felt better Monday. We just wanted to see him on the court yesterday and today.”

Pierce also indicated that Huerter went through a workout after Atlanta’s shootaround on Wednesday, but the head coach did not have a full report as to how that exercise went, nor did he provide an estimated timetable for Huerter’s on-court debut.

Huerter, a second team All-Rookie selection for the 2018-19 season, is projected by many as the No. 3 option for the Hawks this season. The former Maryland star converted 38.5 percent of his three-point attempts as a rookie and, in looking ahead, Huerter’s presence will be crucial in providing floor spacing and secondary creation on the wing for the Hawks, while also holding up at a reasonable level defensively.

I have no idea when he rejoins the team

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
I see a first round pick In our future, hope we still got one

If Brooklyn makes the playoffs we get there first round pick in 2020 so we should have 2 first round picks at minimum after this season

Ive been on record as saying this isn’t a playoff team but should still be a lot of fun to watch Trae, Collins, Huerter and Cam and D-Hunter get better as a group

Overall we lost key veteran depth (WOAT, Dedmon, Prince) and replaced them with just guys (Allen Crabbe, Chandler Parsons, Jabari Parker). I don’t see how us getting younger, losing depth and still playing no defense equals a playoff run but we’ll see. I’m happy with 30-35 wins and fun basketball. 2020-2021 is when I expect legit playoff talk

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
I say we finish 9th or 10th in the East.

Still a big and bench depth away from being real contenders

Yea I see this. Folks gotta remember this was a 29 win team last year, I’m just excited for basketball to be back but I’m not coming into this season expecting anything more than entertaining basketball. We’ve got way too many holes to be thinking playoffs or a winning record

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
BTW if you brehs have a wittier title, please let me know. I chose this title because this season is gonna be a soap opera and the ceiling for this team really comes down to the jump Trae makes in year 2. If he can cut down the turnovers and improve the efficiency then I could see us maybe challenging for the playoffs but I expect there to be some up and downs as he adjusts to different looks on defenses and learns the new guys on the team

bench scoring is also a concern IMO