In the Days of Human Zoos

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
234f_hd_3_72dpi.jpg

Paris, 1889. The City of Light was celebrating 100 years of “liberty, equality and fraternity.” In addition to the brand-new Eiffel Tower, the other main attraction that awaited the 28 million visitors to the Universal Exposition that year was a “Negro Village” with 400 African inhabitants, exhibited among the colonial pavilions on the Esplanade des Invalides. For the past decade, such native villages had been a feature of most international fairs, and the practice would continue well into the 20th century.

Hamburg, London, Brussels, Chicago, Geneva, Barcelona, Osaka… The major cities that prided themselves on their modernity exhibited people whom they considered savages in human zoos. Senegalese, Nubians, Dahomeans, Egyptians, Laplanders, Amerindians, Koreans and other so-called “exotic” peoples were put on display in environments evoking their native lands, often in tacky costumes and in proximity to wild animals. An exhibition in Brussels in 1897 even included a sign reading, “Do not feed the Congolese. They have been fed.” More than a billion people flocked to see this type of exhibition between 1870 and 1940. :dwillhuh:

ymago_pp0021545_02_rec_72dpi.jpg

This photograph from 1886 depicts, in the foreground, Les Boschiman, a show featuring Pygmies (Bushmen) at the Folies Bergère in Paris.

ymago_achac_082c_72dpi.jpg

A postcard depicting Korean “cannibals” in Tokyo in 1914. Koreans were presented as savages at several exhibitions in Japan in the early 20th century.

Right-Pic3.jpg
This was in 1958? :why:

human-zoo-in-europe-late-19th-early-20th-century-21695029.jpg

humanzoo_story.jpg
human-zoo01.jpg

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Elle quoting Lowkey :krs:

You think I ain't hip :mjpls:

Also when the participants of these "Zoos" died, their bones and general physiology would be examined in museums and medical labs of the era. I think that was the original goal tbh.

Sad Shyt family

That's how they made so many "medical advances".

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
I don't like UK street rap no mo, the beats don't seem authentic, the slang don't either. Y'all need to be standing next to them nasty ass homes wearing track suits on a fast ass beat.

Loool

Yh I complain about that all the time in the UK threads and the Grime thread in The Lounge. The Twitter generation where everything is interchangeable :scusthov:. The London youth have become an extension of American black twitter.

Half of them use Chicago slang and do drill music and the other half sound are going for the ATL trap sound smh. We had a golden age in UK streep rap in 2008-2012.

This is the song that set it off. This freestyle basically birthed the genre. It was like Bobby Shmurda Hot nikka.

UK urban music in general had a glorious period in the early 00s.

Speaking of Akala his sis was doing her thing:

This takes me back to 2002 :mjcry:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Loool

Yh I complain about that all the time in the UK threads and the Grime thread in The Lounge. The Twitter generation where everything is interchangeable :scusthov:. The London youth have become an extension of American black twitter.

Half of them use Chicago slang and do drill music and the other half sound are going for the ATL trap sound smh. We had a golden age in UK streep rap in 2008-2012.

This is the song that set it off. This freestyle basically birthed the genre. It was like Bobby Shmurda Hot nikka.

UK urban music in general had a glorious period in the early 00s.

Speaking of Akala his sis was doing her thing:

This takes me back to 2002 :mjcry:

I remember Ms Dynamite from "Boo" actually.

You know I did my M.Phil in the UK so I'm kind of familiar with this. Authenticity is important especially if London wants to be recognized in hip hop.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Terrible.

One of Christian Karembeu's (french football player, world champ in 98) great-grand father was a Kanak (from Nouvelle-Calédonie) and was on exhibition in one of those human zoos. One of the reasons he refused to sing La Marseillaise.