Introduce Me to 'X' Artist Series: Redman

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
redman-4e4147ffebff2.png

tumblr_muqfzsP3891sylc6fo1_500.png

Redman is an artist from Newark, New Jersey a.k.a. Brick City, and is known for his obsession with blunt raps and his left-field behaviour and hyperdrive energy on the mic. He got his break when he was discovered by Erick Sermon of EPMD. A few accompaniments on tour and a famous freestyle later, Redman made his on wax debut featuring on EPMD's Business as Usual album. He soon signed to Def Jam and in 1992 his solo career began, guided by the production of Erick Sermon.

Redman's rap style is eclectic, full of tantalising wordplay and with a penchant for numerous rhetorical devices, notably alliteration, similes and metaphors. He has been often criticised for compromising on content or having songs of value and meaning, but his impressive rap skills more than make up for that deficiency. If you are looking for a rapper with a lot of substance and heart-felt content, Redman might not be for you. If you want to be surrounded by atmospheric funky production and blunt-fuelled raps, you'd be hard pressed to find a better option than Reggie Noble, who can never be accused of being lethargic on the mic.

Discography
Whut? Thee Album (1992)
NoEIjHz-300x300.jpg

Listening recommendation: *****
This is an essential listen if you want to get into Redman. The early part of his career was very much under the EPMD umbrella and thus the funk influence is very prominent in his works. The fact that this album has gone down as a classic adds to the necessity of hearing it. The battle rap element of this album stems from Redman’s witty punchlines and laid-back, yet threatening raps. The album, like the vast majority of Redman’s work, is limited in subject matter, but Redman is such a captivating MC that he’ll never get boring. Expect a lot of braggadocios-ness, blunt raps and comical violence.

Dare iz a Darkside (1994)
Efq6r20-300x300.jpg

Listening recommendation: ****
I would definitely recommend trying it at some point, but maybe after you're accustomed to Redman through other works. Dare is a very dark album, and the distorted funk and extraterrestrial vibes of the album might not sit well with a beginner listener unless you are accustomed to Redman’s left-field approach. The production is not so similar to the debut, but it shares much of the same elements, whereas the complex rapping much more resembles Muddy Waters.

Muddy Waters (1996)
69k0tds-300x300.jpg

Listening recommendation: *****
This is just as essential a listen as his debut album, if not more so. This is the album most attached to Redman's name when it is mentioned. The importance of this album cannot be understated as well because it also represented a transition to the more comedic Redman that many associate with him nowadays musically and beyond. The album has less of a funk influence than his first two, but is more polished in sound and more commercial-friendly, so it’s much easier to get into. In fact, you’ll recognise a lot of samples used in other well known tracks of other artists e.g. ‘Section’ for The Roots and ‘Unbelievable’ for Biggie Smalls. Redman has sharpened up lyrically as well, and has more flow switches and vocal deliveries.

Doc's Da Name 2000 (1998)
t3XxjJW-300x300.jpg

Listening recommendation: ****
Redman's first and only album to go platinum. This is the most accessible of his 90s releases and ventured further into the comedic character that was starting to originate on the previous LP. The production was very much a product of its time and in some areas ahead of its time. Redman showed a slight expansion conceptually over other albums. Since it is not to the level of the previous three, it doesn't merit the 5* recommendation.

Malpractice (2001)
PCD1phx-300x300.jpg

Listening recommendation: **
This marked a major drop in quality over the 90s output. Redman seemed out of ideas, out of inspiration and worst of all the production which was so long a trademark of consistency and excellence completely fell by the wayside. Like in any Redman album, there is quality here and there, but very few and far between on this LP.

Red Gone Wild: Thee Album (2007)
gS2uEem-300x300.jpg

Listening recommendation: ***
You won't necessarily 'lose' by not listening to it but this was a very underrated album in a year where quality in hip-hop was difficult to find. This album was a modernised version of his 90s appeal, but unfortunately bogged down by a massive track list and over-doing of skits. Still worth peeping.

Reggie (2010)
frk8vhQ-300x300.jpg

Listening recommendation: *
The fact that this album was released merely to fulfil contractual obligations towards Def Jam tells you all you need to know. His worst album, but even then has a decent joint or two. Still I would not recommend this at all. Very rushed project and totally non-cohesive.

Mudface (2015)
Mudface.jpg

Listening recommendation: **
Another album released under unusual circumstances, but this time in order to serve as an appetiser for the yet to be released Muddy Waters 2. The album does have considerably more quality than Reggie, and Redman's hunger on the mic has grown in recent years, exemplified by his performance on the BET cypher. Maybe worth checking out as a last resort.

Where to start....
Option 1: you can work your way chronologically. You listen to the first 4 albums and then jump right to Red Gone Wild: Thee Album if you enjoyed the previous 4. Then you can go back to the ones that were recommended 2* and under if you really want to.

Option 2: start with his debut album, then go to Muddy Waters and then Doc's Da Name 2000 and then you may be in position to try out Dare iz a Darkside.

Option 3: start with Muddy Waters under a scenario whereby "if I can only listen to one Redman album". As stated before, this is the one where he really made a name for himself and served as middle ground for combining the insane lyricism of previous works with the new found character and polished production of later works. Best of both worlds. You can go anywhere from here.

The 'MUST LISTEN' albums: Whut? Thee Album, Muddy Waters
The 'COULD LISTEN' to albums: Dare iz a Darkside, Doc's Da Name 2000, Red Gone Wild: Thee Album

Noteworthy songs
- Time4SumAksion (1992)
- Tonight's Da Night (1992)
- Rockafella (1994)
- Can't Wait (1994)
- Funkorama (1995)
- Whateva Man (1996)
- Pick it Up (1996)
- I'll Bee Dat (1998)
- Da Goodness (1999)
- Let's Get Dirty (2001)
- Put it Down (2007)

Additional Information
In addition to his studio albums, you may want to peep the first 2 volumes of the Ill at Will mixtapes. You’ll notice it sounds like Ice Cube’s EP Kill at Will, and as you listen through early Redman albums, you’ll hear a lot of Cube-inspired raps and even hear him sampled once or twice as well. These mixtapes also give you the opportunity to hear Redman rapping with the likes of Eminem and Snoop Dogg and at the time of release Redman was still sharp and witty on the mic. Definitely worth checking out once you get through his albums.

tumblr_mbrbppkDS01rhcqmwo1_500.gif

Last edited:

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
This is an awesome thread idea and you executed it very well breh

Next time please tag me in anything Redman related

He's been in my personal top 3, sometimes at #1, every since I first heard this

:wow:

thank you brother

this is an entire series breh so artists will be covered by different people and uploaded to the main page that I will link you in a minute

any artists you wanna write about and feel comfortable doing so? maybe Common?

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
thank you brother

this is an entire series breh so artists will be covered by different people and uploaded to the main page that I will link you in a minute

any artists you wanna write about and feel comfortable doing so? maybe Common?

I would love to write about Common.

I thought about making a similar thread on him (nowhere near as well thought out as this) but I gave up when I couldn't find the video to the Soul By The Pound remix.

My man Tremone (RIP Trombone, the 1st Common Sense stan in history)(he was also the 1st nikka to put me on to Redman) tried his best to put me on to Com when Breaker 1,9 dropped, but I wasn't really feeling him until the Soul By The Pound video came out.

I loved that record so much, I can still recite it word for word to this day.

I say all that to say, I couldn't do Com like I would want to because I like to place vids throughout my shyt, and it wouldn't be right if I couldn't lead with that.

But I'm humbled and honored that you asked, breh, and I'd be down to write it anyway.

DM me with further instructions :salute:

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
I would love to write about Common.

I thought about making a similar thread on him (nowhere near as well thought out as this) but I gave up when I couldn't find the video to the Soul By The Pound remix.

My man Tremone (RIP Trombone, the 1st Common Sense stan in history)(he was also the 1st nikka to put me on to Redman) tried his best to put me on to Com when Breaker 1,9 dropped, but I wasn't really feeling him until the Soul By The Pound video came out.

I loved that record so much, I can still recite it word for word to this day.

I say all that to say, I couldn't do Com like I would want to because I like to place vids throughout my shyt, and it wouldn't be right if I couldn't lead with that.

But I'm humbled and honored that you asked, breh, and I'd be down to write it anyway.

DM me with further instructions :salute:

it doesn't need to be that complex breh

it's a starter guide of sorts for people who don't know Common's discog like that or are looking to get into him (pause)

:shaq:

my format is a template of sorts so if you like what I did for Reggie you and others can do the same for your respective artists
:win:

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
I think these threads should have at least 3-4 must listen songs embedded. Like this thread should just start with Tonight's Da Night :heh:

I like the explanation but for artists I'm not already familiar with I'd really want to just listen to 4-5 songs to see if they're for me. And for artists I already am interested in it would be cool to see what a fan would choose.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
I think these threads should have at least 3-4 must listen songs embedded. Like this thread should just start with Tonight's Da Night :heh:

I like the explanation but for artists I'm not already familiar with I'd really want to just listen to 4-5 songs to see if they're for me. And for artists I already am interested in it would be cool to see what a fan would choose.

so provide links to about three or 4 of the tracks I listed?