Is a $20 tip disrespectful?

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
Long story short...

I took my longtime friend out for lunch at BLVD Bistro NY (soul food spot) since today was her birthday. In total I spent about $155 (support black businesses) which I didn't mind because we go wayback but anyways getting back to the point...

I payed using my credit card now I could've used debit but I said nah not today. Now on the weekends I usually don't carry much cash outside of maybe $40 and instead opting for credit/debit use (it's a little tradition of mines) .

So when we were finished eating I left a $20 tip, usually I'd leave about $65 but there were no ATMs nearby related to the bank I use (ATMs fees are crazy) so I left $20 on the table.

Is it disrespectful giving a server just $20?

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
I'm at the restaurant ready to pay for a service and they have ppl who work there who get paid to provide said service. Tell me why I'm supposed to give them extra money for doing the job they applied for? And if I do decide to give them this extra money why can it not be at my discretion instead of some unofficial guidelines

Daps
Reppin
NYC
My rule of thumb is 18% & 20% for good service cause I've worked in the industry
But I dont eat out much as it is

& her commenting on that is weird cause A) its your money and B) "too much" on a 13% tip would have me looking at her funny