Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Or is it also a standard?

Status or Standard

With great publicity comes great accountability.... or does it?

Written By: King Pynn

"I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids."

Words directly from the mouth of NBA legend Charles Barkley, known for wreaking havoc not only on the court but also as a sports commentator. Does his words and sentiment apply to all situations where celebrities are forced to become role models for their fans, followers and supporters? Is being a celebrity just a status or is it also a standard? In current events a certain controversial comedian, whose first name rhymes with pill, has been put in the hot seat. No, I'm not talking about Bill Cosby, I'm talking about HBO Real Time host Bill Maher.

Not too long-ago Mr. Maher had Senator Ben Sasse of Nebraska on his show to promote a book about raising American kids. While Senator Sasse and Bill playfully went back and forth about how conservative life was in Nebraska, Sasse extended an invite for Bill to come get a taste of Nebraska's farm life. "We would love to have you work in the fields with us" said the Senator, to which Mr. Maher replied, "work in the fields.........I'm a house N***a".

Understandably Maher's poor choice of words upset a lot of people and footage of the interview went viral all over the web. The liberal and down for the cause Bill Maher just used THE racial slur!!! Other celebrities and public figures weighed in on the subject but two stood out more than the others. Those two are the famous Dr. Michael Eric Dyson and Rapper/actor/activist Killer Mike. When questioned by his fans and followers about the situation Killer Mike, who's a friend and regular guest of Bill Maher, tweeted

full

His posts started trending on twitter and many of his followers started accusing him of dancing around the issue. A similar situation happened with Dr. Dyson, who admitted that what Bill Maher said was wrong but he does not believe Maher is a racist. Yesterday June 9, 2017 Dr. Dyson appeared on Maher’s show alongside the rapping renaissance man Ice Cube and political commentator Symone Sanders. The three clarified the historic meanings and intentions of the N-word in black culture and American culture. They also told Bill how wrong he was for using the word and he was very apologetic.

For the record, I’m like Dr. Dyson and Cube, I don’t think Bill Maher is a racist but I do think he and people like him sometimes get too familiar and too comfortable. In Bills case, his comfort stemmed from his status as a politically active comedic celebrity. He thought his liberal world views and comedic flair would allow him to get away with his “Joke”. This was also his defenders talking point, many of them insinuated that his political work and work for the black community gave him a pass. Meanwhile his critics felt that he was even more subject to criticism because of his work in politics and in the black community. He should have known better.

People like Bill Maher, Killer Mike, Dr. Dyson, Ice Cube and Symone Sanders have all been given platforms to voice their opinions and views. Their comedy, music, literature and political work are all tools to reach, entertain and inform the people. They have certified celeb status and since the beginning of pop culture celebs have always set the standards. Beauty standards, social standards, political standards and cultural standards are all set by celebrities and how they present themselves. If you present yourself as a politically active liberal and a humorist who pushes the envelope too far, then that’s how your audience will see and react to you. If you present yourself as a pro-black socially conscious rapper then that’s how your audience will see you and react to you. The acclaim and accountability is all in the presentation.

In conclusion, it appears brother Barkley was wrong. His status as a professional sports star does make him a role model and a standard for anybody trying to be successful in the same field he’s in. Whether he is a positive or negative role model is up for debate but he is a role model none the less. Celebrities should embrace every aspect of the roles they choose to play for their fans, followers and critics. The number one rule in show business is don’t believe your own hype but this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be aware of it. More importantly if it aint your type of hype then pick a different role.

:jbhmm:Do ya'll agree with this article?

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Honestly who the fukk cares? This seems the realm of losers and excuse makers. My role models are my family and people I have actual interactions with. Maybe him and others have wack families and networks and for that I'm sorry but I can't really relate. That's why when cats be on this shyt I'm like FOH.

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
My role models are my family and people I have actual interactions with.
So if your role models do something questionable, out of character or just plain wrong do you think they should be held accountable?

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Being a celebrity is merely a circumstance.

You can be in a room with 1,000 ppl who all know who you are and are there to see you, then leave, drive a few blocks away... go into a store to buy something and the 10 ppl there and the cashier have no idea who you are.

When I first met India Arie at a studio I ignored her cause I just assumed she was somebody's girlfrend.
When I got introduced to Georgle Clinton from Parlament Funkadelic, I recognized him from earliar in the day when I saw him sitting outside the building eating his lunch and I completely ignored him and had walked past him. I thought he was homeless actually, and I was too young to know him by sight back then.

So celeb status is just a circumstance of the ppl near you at the moment happening to know who you are. No standard you have to live by 24/7, cause celeb isn't constant unless you intentionally roll with an entourage and paparazi to keep it rolling over, like Kim K or something.

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
unless you intentionally roll with an entourage and paparazi to keep it rolling over, like Kim K or something.
Ok then, what about those celebs like Kim K or other highly publicized celebs like Bill Maher, Bill Cosby or Ice Cube? Would you consider them role models?

Daps
Being a celebrity means power in the dating game, the ability to push agendas on impressionable people, making the bread on a reasonably high level in comparison to the average person.

Being a celebrity is the cream of the crop in society.

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
Of course it is just a status.. You can be popular for being a serial killer Bruh.. Come on man. People just want them to be a role model because of the money. Don't worship money brehs
So you believe in positive and negative role models. Since you have people who aspire to be like these negative role models, wouldn't that mean their role models set a standard for them?

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
So if your role models do something questionable, out of character or just plain wrong do you think they should be held accountable?
We are all held accountable for the most part anyway so I don't get your question. Held accountable how?

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
We are all held accountable for the most part anyway so I don't get your question. Held accountable how?
Should your role models be called out for falling short of the standard they set for you and themselves? What should happen if the pedestal they place themselves on is broken by their "misconduct"?

666 ReVeNGe 666

TROLL IS LIFE
Daps
I grew up with reverse role models.

However....wayne inspired me to work hard and and think I am the best.

Cudi inspired me to be one with my feelings and express my feelings.

:manny:

I had inspirations...not role models.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Should your role models be called out for falling short of the standard they set for you and themselves? What should happen if the pedestal they place themselves on is broken by their "misconduct"?
To be honest idgaf. Stuff happens and as long as a person acknowledges it and doesn't act like it never happened its good for me. Nobody is perfect and nobody puts themselves on a pedestal IMO others do.

BrokePhiBroke

Superstar
Daps
I honestly don't get the hype about celebrities and never have :yeshrug:

I'm just not impressed.

They are people like me.

Maybe it's bc I don't think any body is above anybody. Plus I'm not a follower so it's really hard for me to get "into them" even if I like a certain talent they bring to the table. Idk I'm just not that worldly or superficial with the attention span of a goldfish.

kj614

You must quiet your mind.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My Family
So you believe in positive and negative role models. Since you have people who aspire to be like these negative role models, wouldn't that mean their role models set a standard for them?
If someone is aspiring to be like a negative person that's on them. Stars do not have to behave for anyone.