Is Canada next for anti-immigrant wave?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Canada Says, ‘Give Me Your MBAs, Your Entrepreneurs’
Foreign talent helps power the nation’s economic boom.

Ayesha Chokhani, who grew up in Kolkata, has no love of the cold. Yet when she went to study for her master’s degree, the 29-year-old student chose the University of Toronto, where winter temperatures can fall well below freezing.

Chokhani had her pick of elite schools. She turned down Cornell and Duke in the U.S. Her reasons were clear: The anti-immigrant rhetoric from the Trump administration made her nervous. And Canada had an additional draw: She can stay up to three years after she graduates and doesn’t need a job offer to apply for a work permit. “I wanted to be sure that wherever I go to study, I have the opportunity to stay and work for a bit,” she says.

In August, there were about 570,000 international students in Canada, a 60 percent jump from three years ago. That surge is helping power the biggest increase in international immigration in more than a century. The country took in 425,000 people in the 12 months through September, boosting population growth to a three-decade high of 1.4 percent, the fastest pace in the Group of Seven club of industrialized nations.

For all its benefits, the immigration surge is becoming a contentious political issue. In the past couple years, the province of Quebec, for example, has seen a big jump in asylum claims by people arrested while illegally crossing the border from the U.S. It’s now moving to cut its share of legal immigrants by 20 percent in 2019, to about 40,000. A new federal party, the People’s Party of Canada, is also pushing to reduce immigration.

The University of British Columbia at Vancouver will raise its target for foreign students to 30 percent by 2022, from a cap of 15 percent in 2014, a plan that some have criticized. “As public institutions, they have a responsibility to cater to the local Canadian population,” says Peter Wylie, a UBC associate professor of economics.

If Canada is bringing in foreign immigrants to create the jobs the locals aren't creating, then it seems especially in this environment that Canada will be next for a major immigration-classism backlash. Especially if the majority of business owners aren't in fact native Canadians.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If Canada is bringing in foreign immigrants to create the jobs the locals aren't creating, then it seems especially in this environment that Canada will be next for a major immigration-classism backlash. Especially if the majority of business owners aren't in fact native Canadians.

This isnt anything new, the country's has had a mass landed immigration program for decades and its accepted as a necessary political and economic fact by all the parties.

Almost a quarter of the population is foreign-born. Proportion who are the children of recent immigrants is just as large. The only "backlash" has really been correlated to the relatively small number of asylum seekers coming from the American border. Thats been an issue of contention and likely will be in the upcoming election. But there is zero chance the immigration programs described in the article will face the chopping block or even broad opposition.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps

I think one of the bigger problems here is that Canadians are losing seats in universities to foreign students. Universities charge double or triple the tuition to foreign students so that is very attractive to them. Foreign students come to Canada, study, maybe work for a few years then bounce back to their countries.

This quote - “As public institutions, they have a responsibility to cater to the local Canadian population,” pretty much sums it up.

so by boosting foreign students they are making it harder for Canadians and for Canada to prosper.

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
They're already here. Ive spent the last five years fighting people who think they own this country, or that its a Christian nation. Hate groups popping up and protests. Think about the fact Gavin Richards came up with his platform while living in Toronto. Also we got people who wear and rock the confederate flag like a motherfukker outside of Toronto. The attitude here has changed drastically over the last few years, and a good portion is very angry young white men.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Quebec is a bad example of Canada as a whole. That province is ultra nationalist and they get pissed at fellow canucks who don’t speak French.
True but also untrue
The tides are changing & aldo there are alot of English speaking people in quebec as well as bilinguals. What you said is mostly applicable to the french unilinguals, and also that live in Quebec city, as opposed to the entire province.
Montreal for example is not like quebec city at all.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
sure, give them all of our low skilled immigrants. see what that does for your healthcare costs when you need to take on an influx of people who generate 10 dollars an hour worth of labor :ehh:

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
sure, give them all of our low skilled immigrants. see what that does for your healthcare costs when you need to take on an influx of people who generate 10 dollars an hour worth of labor :ehh:
The article speaks of an International student from the province of Ontario.

Whether or not public health services are offered to international students is at the discretion of each province. Provinces and territories that offer health coverage to international students are:
Alberta
British Columbia
Manitoba
Newfoundland and Labrador
Northwest Territories
Saskatchewan

Students in provinces that do not offer health coverage to international students are generally required to purchase private health insurance.

So she wont be covered

Brosef

I respect O.G. knowledge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Canada is as multicultural as it gets and our strength is from diversity

Few Quebecers and rural cats won't cause a big stir

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The article speaks of an International student from the province of Ontario.

Whether or not public health services are offered to international students is at the discretion of each province. Provinces and territories that offer health coverage to international students are:
Alberta
British Columbia
Manitoba
Newfoundland and Labrador
Northwest Territories
Saskatchewan

Students in provinces that do not offer health coverage to international students are generally required to purchase private health insurance.

So she wont be covered
well im pretty sure that international students arent part of the immigration debate, so why the fukk is that being discussed :heh:

i thought it was about this:

In the past couple years, the province of Quebec, for example, has seen a big jump in asylum claims by people arrested while illegally crossing the border from the U.S. It’s now moving to cut its share of legal immigrants by 20 percent in 2019, to about 40,000.

i wonder if canada will face the same criticism for cutting down the number of immigrants it has no interest in admitting :ehh:

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
They're already here. Ive spent the last five years fighting people who think they own this country, or that its a Christian nation. Hate groups popping up and protests. Think about the fact Gavin Richards came up with his platform while living in Toronto. Also we got people who wear and rock the confederate flag like a motherfukker outside of Toronto. The attitude here has changed drastically over the last few years, and a good portion is very angry young white men.

ya i've seen this. anti-immigration has really blown here up lately. and it's all the same alt-right/white nationalist type of talking points coming out of the states too...mixed in with an insane, seething, over-the-top hatred for justin trudeau.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
ya i've seen this. anti-immigration has really blown here up lately. and it's all the same alt-right/white nationalist type of talking points coming out of the states too...mixed in with an insane, seething, over-the-top hatred for justin trudeau.
I don't really see it. The problem is that when someone is anti illegal immigration and BS asylum seekers they are made to sound like they are anti-immigrant.

the complete dishonesty of making that conflation is ruining any real chance for progress and dialogue.

outside of maybe a VERY VERY VERY small fringe group of ppl, the large majority of ppl are not anti immigrant at all.

and giving any attention to those tiny factions of ppl is just a complete waste of time.

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
I don't really see it. The problem is that when someone is anti illegal immigration and BS asylum seekers they are made to sound like they are anti-immigrant.

the complete dishonesty of making that conflation is ruining any real chance for progress and dialogue.

outside of maybe a VERY VERY VERY small fringe group of ppl, the large majority of ppl are not anti immigrant at all.

and giving any attention to those tiny factions of ppl is just a complete waste of time.

Don't know what city you roll in, but Im in Toronto, and at least 20 guys I have loose associations with through other people, have tried to claim Proud Boys. Many also use terms like "Western Chauvinism" or that people must assimilate to some mythical Canadaian/American style of life. Whatever that means. A perfect example is the attemted arson of the hotel housing Syrian/African refugees, or the fact that hate crimes rose by 47% country wide in 2017. I'd bet almost any amount that 2018 was worse... I'm 37 and never seen it like this before. I'be had to fight more people since Trayvon who were so called "friends" then any other time in my life. And thats not even talking about the anti gay, xenophobic and anti-Semitic motherfukkers who are popping up all the time.