is Jimmy Wang Yang the WOAT racist character?

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I was randomly watching GAB 2007 last night, and this dude came out.

And just seeing his name in big letters on the Titantron, I was like, :francis:

Yeah, I get it he was supposed to be an Asian-redneck. That's different and creative for sure.

But Jimmy(country name), Wang(a phonetic sound of Wayne), Yang(a common stereotype name thrown at Asians)

I think they could've done the character successfully and ppl would've got the "irony/comedy" of it without the name being so blatant.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I was randomly watching GAB 2007 last night, and this dude came out.

And just seeing his name in big letters on the Titantron, I was like, :francis:

Yeah, I get it he was supposed to be an Asian-redneck. That's different and creative for sure.

But Jimmy(country name), Wang(a phonetic sound of Wayne), Yang(a common stereotype name thrown at Asians)

I think they could've done the character successfully and ppl would've got the "irony/comedy" of it without the name being so blatant.

Half CAC Half Asian

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Him and Crime Tyme. They were bold as hell in the 2000's with typecasting and overall cism'

They took every possible stereotype of the early 2000's and crammed it into those two. I'm honestly surprised they didn't set up some plants and have them "rob" fans on the front row to "add to their street cred"

although as much as I hate admitting it now looking back, I found their vignettes funny

Daps
Reppin
LDN
Saba_Simba_-_Anthony_White_02.jpg

Nothing I can think of was more racist than this

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Him and Crime Tyme. They were bold as hell in the 2000's with typecasting and overall cism'

They took every possible stereotype of the early 2000's and crammed it into those two. I'm honestly surprised they didn't set up some plants and have them "rob" fans on the front row to "add to their street cred"

although as much as I hate admitting it now looking back, I found their vignettes funny
Yeah, the thing with Cryme Tyme.

You have to look at that era. They were mocking the G-Unit era(tho as usual they were a few years late) and spoofing hip-hop character at that time. I thought it was corny b/c if it was so late, but I don't recall finding it offensive.

People forget, you still had other Black wrestlers in WWE around that time who were very successful. CT was just comic relief to me

WWE-JTG-Partner-of-Cryme-Tyme.jpg
50-cent-bulletproof-vestbling1.jpg

Vinny Lupton

Superstar
Daps
His wrestling name before even being in WWE was Jimmy Wang. But yeah this was a stupid gimmick. Not as bad as having the Mexicans come out on lawnmowers