Is Piñata A Classic?

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
This album and Madvillainy made me a Madlib fan:whew:
I need to dig deeper into his catalog:whoo:

His joint album with Dilla was so fire :wow:

and this is 'Yesterday's New Quintet' - it's a five piece band, where Madlib plays all the instruments. There's a few Stevie covers in there

Thread inspired me to go looking for old Madlib beat tapes on the net. Caught a couple :kentedenzel:

Last edited:

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
I couldn't really get into it. I'm still waiting for that moment that I really start feeling this tape.

Gibbs is one the best dudes out but I bump Shadow of a Doubt and You Only Live 2Wice a lot more.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Album is incredible. I'm not mad at anyone that wants to call it a classic.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
No, and it's absolutely due to the fact that they tried to pander to cacs with all those whack features. Scarface did his thing, Raekwon was whatever, even Danny Brown was appropriate on High.

Domo Genesis, Earl Sweatshirt, Ab-Soul, Meechy and Cac Miller though? :stopitslime:

Let Cac Miller end your album with "O'Doyle rules," brehs.:hhh:

Last edited:

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
I havent given it a real chance, but Lakers is a fantastic ass track

Last edited:

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Domo Genesis, Earl Sweatshirt, Ab-Soul
Domo is one of the best underground emcees in the LA area and the latter two are some of the most popular LYRICISTS in LA :gucci:
you nikkas cant have it both ways where you want deeper rappers to get they shines but not want artists to put them on :gucci:
especially u folks who keep saying west coast rap is dead :snoop:

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Domo is one of the best underground emcees in the LA area and the latter two are some of the most popular LYRICISTS in LA :gucci:
you nikkas cant have it both ways where you want deeper rappers to get they shines but not want artists to put them on :gucci:

You talking to the wrong man I've never said any of that.:camby:

Domo is a poor man's curren$y, earl trying his hardest to copy DOOM by sounding as monotonous and dull as possible, while also bringing up his teenage angst and father issues.:dahell:

Gibbs talks all sorts of street shyt, even when he gets introspective, he stays true to the content and theme. These other rappers had no business being on this album except to pander to the weirdo stone's throw cacs.

It's a lot of good material on the album, but I'll never forgive whoever guided Gibbs into picking those specific features.

O'Doyle Rules:dahell:
Ab Soul struggling to flow and somehow managing to make a reference to biggie sound AWFUL.:dahell:
Earl boring everyone to sleep.
Domo talking about random shyt with no charisma, completely out of place over a madlib production.:dahell:
Meechy gaining a spot on the album because the Flatbush zombies were getting love from Cac bloggers.:dahell:
G Wiz getting buried in between all these terrible features that drag down the entire second half of the album.:dahell:

Fukk thuggin, they should've thrown all them trash features on a track called huggin, would've been a lot more appropriate.:dahell:

WHEN you take a look at the features in context, it becomes clear why these artists were picked. They appealed largely to white rap sensibilities. List up the features, go back to the release date, and you'll realize they were all cac blog darlings. Furthermore, look at Gibbs' catalog. HE HAS NEVER WORKED WITH THOSE ARTISTS BEFORE OR AFTER. Spice 1, Yukmouth, E40, Gucci Mane, Jeezy, Curren$y, Problem, Alley Boy and the list goes on...

But now he's fukking with those dudes on piñata? :dahell:

It was pandering.

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Yes. Maybe not yet, but it's aging well, and I'm confident that it will be. The only joint on the whole thing I skip are a few of the verses on the very last joint. Usually I listen to Domo, then Gibbs, then I just end it. I hate hearing Mac Miller close out the album.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I first heard Domo on the No Idols EP with Alchemist. I thought he was pretty average, but he's improved a lot, and that Red Corolla joint he just dropped was pretty good rhyming wise. Much better than he was on No Idols.