Is There A Reason Why 'Big Men' Have Been Shying Away From Wrestling?

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
For nearly 5 decades, the McMahon family has made billions of dollars from featuring guys that were at least above average height and weight. After the reaction to last night's Fatal Fourway main event, I started wondering where have all the other "big guys" gone.

To put this in perspective outside of guys on the WWE, TNA and LU roster, the wrestling industry could almost be considered a "small guy" industry compared to the old days. In contrast, back in the day there were enough "big guys" to fill up the rosters of 20+ territories in this country alone. Even after the death of the territories, WWF, WCW AND ECW had three rosters full of big guys.

Now to get this part clear, I have no problem with little guys or big guys in wrestling, I just wish we could find a balance that isn't full 80s WWF or full 2000s ROH.

So my question is what happened to these guys and do you think there will ever be a good balance of big men and small guys again? Also side note does anyone else find it ironic that Vince killing the competition has led to the industry wide big guy gap?

Drones

Visions of $
Daps
To me it seems that these days all the big guys who are athletically inclined are going into MMA or the NFL, MLB, and NBA (or international basketball and baseball leagues) instead of going into wrestling. Especially since in WWE you have to pay for your own travel, you don't have a union, and you're subject to the whims of a 70 year old lunatic.

This is what people constantly bytching about 'why are they pushing muh flippy midgets' don't get, the big guys they want to see are going into other avenues that aren't wrestling. the same thing happened to Heavyweight boxing, all of the talent was drained out into other sports and we were left with a never ending Klitschko reign.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
They go into NFL or the UFC modern day.

To me it seems that these days all the big guys who are athletically inclined are going into MMA or the NFL, MLB, and NBA (or international basketball and baseball leagues) instead of going into wrestling. Especially since in WWE you have to pay for your own travel, you don't have a union, and you're subject to the whims of a 70 year old lunatic.

This is what people constantly bytching about 'why are they pushing muh flippy midgets' don't get, the big guys they want to see are going into other avenues that aren't wrestling. the same thing happened to Heavyweight boxing, all of the talent was drained out into other sports and we were left with a never ending Klitschko reign.

I was thinking UFC too but they're 206 and above weight class seems to have the least amount of fighters compared to other divisions. I guess if you combined the guys who cut weight to make 205, it makes a sizable enough shift.

I'll give you NFL, NBA, and MLB but not sure how much they affect things because the Texans and Bobcats (Hornets) are the only real expansion teams since the 90s but that is about 65 extra jobs.

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Yeah I think its's just the general evolution of sports and the entertainment biz; Shaq is a lifelong wrestling stan, and in his parents' generation he probably could've been like Andre the Giant (except for "the times" :mjpls:), and in Andre's day he made way more than any basketball player, but times change

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
I was thinking UFC too but they're 206 and above weight class seems to have the least amount of fighters compared to other divisions. I guess if you combined the guys who cut weight to make 205, it makes a sizable enough shift.

I'll give you NFL, NBA, and MLB but not sure how much they affect things because the Texans and Bobcats (Hornets) are the only real expansion teams since the 90s but that is about 65 extra jobs.

Yup. A lot of the 205ers cut from the mid 230's sometimes even 240's

Those are def guys that could otherwise be pro wrestlers if the WWE could offer them something attractive while they're in college

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
This is my take, from a post a couple months back.

The 6'1 - 6'5 guys who would get into wrestling in the previous eras aren't doing so, because of MMA, wonders of 21st century medicine/technology (less people are retiring w/ knee injuries from football) or they've been paid rather handsomely for a couple of years as pros in other sports, than from previous eras. They just have no interest getting into wrestling. And wrestling doesn't pay well upfront for a novice unless they come from a pedigree background like a Angle/Lesnar.

You can say Baron Corbin. I'm surprised he didn't get into MMA considering his Golden Gloves background. But I do question, if he really loves wrestling like Mojo does.

It's why most of the wrestlers now days, look regular compared to the 80's and 90's guys. And the ones getting into wrestling like in OP's post have either really loved it as children or theyre generational aka being the family business.

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
They go into NFL or the UFC modern day.

If you're a legit 7 feet tall and you're reasonably athletic, you'll always have a job in basketball on some level. One of Andrew Nicholson's friends is a 7 footer, showed up to one of his games with the Wizards, got a internship out of it and now he's going to be an assistant coach for their G-League team.
Honestly you could say this about the NFL and MMA as well :wow:

Right, MMA isn't as lucrative at all until you get to big leagues, Russia, Japan or China. There's plenty of guys out there fighting for $500 before they get to the UFC

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why the fukk would you wanna go to WWE anyways

Look at baron corbin , he made a mistake now they're burying his character

Like you spent all this money on this guy and you're gonna kill you're own character cuz of something he did

What mistake was that?

OVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
I think the training that comes with it and the fact that success isn't promised by outside things like "getting over" and having an "It" factor. If they came from another sport like being a Strongman, Football, or Bodybuilding they probably already made good money and have a way to continue to eat in that circle (coaching, personal trainer, advisor) rather than as I said taking years to train, travel and risk injury in something they don't love for success that's not a guarantee.

Last edited: