J.D. Vance author of Hillbilly Elegy...meets with STEVE BANNON about running the Heritage Foundation

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Not familiar with this guy, I will wiki him. What's his deal, I see Appalachia and automatically assume opioids, racism, and "justified". Is he like Boyd Crowder or something
Ok, a few minutes of research tells me he is a guy that grew up in extreme poverty, with a addict mother, and ended up at Yale, so his overall approach is telling everyone in that situation to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get themselves out of their own situation that they brought upon themselves.

OH SOHH TRILL

Trill OG
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Screwston
Ok, a few minutes of research tells me he is a guy that grew up in extreme poverty, with a addict mother, and ended up at Yale, so his overall approach is telling everyone in that situation to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get themselves out of their own situation that they brought upon themselves.

read the book. that’s not what he says at all.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Well, he's more of a piece of shyt than previously thought. There is no good reason for meeting with Steve Baoon, unless you are lining him up, politically or something.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
read the book. that’s not what he says at all.
That’s actually a fairly accurate portrayal of the underlying theme of Hillbilly Elegy. He throws shots at coworkers and acquaintances who aren’t burning w/ ambition, spends almost the entire book softly ranting against learned helplessness, and makes the conditions of hillbillies as well as their virulent opposition to Pres. Obama seem almost purely cultural, in a way that is completely devoid of conceptions of race.

OH SOHH TRILL

Trill OG
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Screwston
That’s actually a fairly accurate portrayal of the underlying theme of Hillbilly Elegy. He throws shots at coworkers and acquaintances who aren’t burning w/ ambition, spends almost the entire book softly ranting against learned helplessness, and makes the conditions of hillbillies as well as their virulent opposition to Pres. Obama seem almost purely cultural, in a way that is completely devoid of conceptions of race.

what you said has nothing to do with bootstrapping ideology. not playing into victomhood and saying everyone should pull themselves up by their bootstraps is two different things. there is a specific passage in his book where he says he wishes he could get politicians to see that policy should be about people at the margins. those that need just a little nudge. you’ll never save the ones far gone and of course some who don’t need the assistance will abuse it, but, we shouldn’t lose sight of those at the margin. that doesn’t sound like bootstrapping bullshyt you usually get from the right. in fact, we all know bruhs from the hood who fit that description. they would’ve escaped the bullshyt if they could have just had one thing break their way. but folks are so lost in fighting over the extremes, that those on the cusp get forgotten.

does his book have a conservative lean? yes, he’s a white guy from bumfukk america so of course.

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I haven't read his book, and it's extremely unlikely I will, but I have seen him om Bill Maher, and a few other spots, always seems fairly moderate/progressive, but he's also aligned with Thiel, who is a Trump supporter, and now Bannon, I would say he's not to be trusted or believed.