James Brown's Daughter Says There Would Be No Hip-Hop, Michael Jackson or Usher Without Her Dad (Exclusive)

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
I'm not sure if there wouldn't be a MJ. Because MJ was influenced by not only James Brown. It was a plethora of singers and dancers. Such as Fred Estaire and Jackie Wilson as well. Plus MJ was famous WHILE James Brown was famous. But I get where she coming from. She's not wrong. But people need to stop acting like James Brown was the MAIN component of Michael Jackson. He def was influenced by him tho.
he actually was. Mike has said this himself. :russ: . The Jackson 5 Motown audition, what routine was Jacko doing?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I'm not sure if there wouldn't be a MJ. Because MJ was influenced by not only James Brown. It was a plethora of singers and dancers. Such as Fred Estaire and Jackie Wilson as well. Plus MJ was famous WHILE James Brown was famous. But I get where she coming from. She's not wrong. But people need to stop acting like James Brown was the MAIN component of Michael Jackson. He def was influenced by him tho.

MJ is was like a even split between Jacky Wilson and James Brown

but Mj's audition for Motown was him doing his best James Brown impression

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
The only issue I have with what she said is "hip hop/rap wouldn't exist". That just factually can't be true since it existed before rappers started sampling James Brown. Now it would have had a totally different sound, particularly in the mid/late 80's, but it would have still existed.

And of course Michael Jackson was influenced by James Brown. I think we can all agree he took it to a whole other level.
Kool Herc himself said about those early hip hop parties "if you can call it anything you can call it James Brown". That's the music that was being played. The term hip-hop was the description of the way the dudes(B-BOYS) would dancing during the break beats,they referred to it as hippity hoppity stuff. So from the man who created hip hop himself James Brown is the main influence for the genre.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Kool Herc himself said about those early hip hop parties "if you can call it anything you can call it James Brown". That's the music that was being played. The term hip-hop was the description of the way the dudes(B-BOYS) would dancing during the break beats,they referred to it as hippity hoppity stuff. So from the man who created hip hop himself James Brown is the main influence for the genre.
James Brown is a big influence yes but to say it wouldn't exist without him is madness. Look at the first superstar rap act, Run DMC. They didn't sample James Brown until their 4th album, when they were already superstars. So what were the doing for the first 3 albums that made them legends? Yes break beats are the foundation of hip hop. But you do understand it wasn't just James Brown break beats being used right?

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
James Brown is a big influence yes but to say it wouldn't exist without him is madness. Look at the first superstar rap act, Run DMC. They didn't sample James Brown until their 4th album, when they were already superstars. So what were the doing for the first 3 albums that made them legends? Yes break beats are the foundation of hip hop. But you do understand it wasn't just James Brown break beats being used right?
Tell that to Kool Herc breh