Jay Z's Tidal music streaming service more than doubled its losses last year

Which media streaming service do you subscribe to?

• Total voters

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
jayzgatsby.jpg

Jay Z's music streaming service, Tidal, lost $28 million last year, according to a legal filing reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

That's twice as much as it lost in the year before Jay Z took control of Aspiro, Tidal's Swedish holding company.

In 2015, Aspiro lost 239 million Swedish kronor, while in 2014, it lost 88.9 million. Tidal has also reportedly failed to pay over 100 outstanding bills.

There is a slight silver lining, however. As Tidal's losses accelerated, so did revenue, which rose 30%.

The landscape
Tidal is far from the only music streaming service that isn't profitable. Market leader Spotify had an operating loss of 184.5 million euros in 2015, compared with 165.1 million in 2014, Reuters reports. Spotify's revenue rose 80% in 2015.

Tidal said that, as of June, it had 4.2 million paid subscribers. That is well behind Spotify's 39 million (August) and Apple Music's 17 million (September).

Tidal's strategy for getting new customers seems to rely heavily on high-profile exclusives from the likes of Kanye West, Rihanna, and Beyoncé. But while those exclusives seem to have been effective in signing people up, they don't seem to have been as good at retaining them as loyal customers.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Alot of people in the black community are rooting for his failure. Crabs in the bucket

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
their first mistake was calling it tidal
what an awful name :huhldup:

sounds like a pill you take after a questionable night with a bar rat
Or charge 19.99+ for HD service that hogs 30% more bandwidth most mobile devices can't handle and doubles network data usage.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Youtube just started turning a profit a few years back

c00n ass nikkas so quick to throw a black company under the bus

I don't even care for Camel, but I wish him success on this venture. Let's not celebrate the misfortune of other black man...even smug, materialistic, biting ass Camels.