Jaylen Brown: It's Unconstitutional for Donald Trump to Tell Players to Stand for the Anthem

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps

“I think our voices are stronger together than individually,” Brown said. “So, I think we’ll open up a discussion about that, and maybe do something as a team, etc., or just at least open up a dialog about it. The reality is, there are problems in this country, and they’re not going to be fixed overnight. I just (want to) open up a discussion and keep raising awareness, and also, having some type of action about it.”

“I think sports is highly influential, and I think what’s going on in football, they’re having the freedom to express their first amendment right,” Brown said. “I think that is something that should be considered and understood. “The president has made some comments, and he’s came at players and teams in the White House, etc. I think it’s unconstitutional to do that — to tell them that they don’t have the right to speak on whatever they feel like needs to be spoken on.” Brown is the second-youngest player on a roster that features just four returning players.

Kyrie also cosigned what Jaylen said and encouraged him to speak on it:
But his teammates, new Celtic Kyrie Irving included, appear to have no problem with him taking the lead on discussing social issues. “I can’t wait to dive more into a discussion with Jaylen,” Irving said Monday at media day. “I know he feels strongly about a few issues, as well. When we get a chance to meet as a group and discuss all those things — whether you see it or not, it will be discussed — I’m looking forward to it.”

:Jaylen:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

“I think our voices are stronger together than individually,” Brown said. “So, I think we’ll open up a discussion about that, and maybe do something as a team, etc., or just at least open up a dialog about it. The reality is, there are problems in this country, and they’re not going to be fixed overnight. I just (want to) open up a discussion and keep raising awareness, and also, having some type of action about it.”

“I think sports is highly influential, and I think what’s going on in football, they’re having the freedom to express their first amendment right,” Brown said. “I think that is something that should be considered and understood. “The president has made some comments, and he’s came at players and teams in the White House, etc. I think it’s unconstitutional to do that — to tell them that they don’t have the right to speak on whatever they feel like needs to be spoken on.” Brown is the second-youngest player on a roster that features just four returning players.

Kyrie also cosigned what Jaylen said and encouraged him to speak on it:
But his teammates, new Celtic Kyrie Irving included, appear to have no problem with him taking the lead on discussing social issues. “I can’t wait to dive more into a discussion with Jaylen,” Irving said Monday at media day. “I know he feels strongly about a few issues, as well. When we get a chance to meet as a group and discuss all those things — whether you see it or not, it will be discussed — I’m looking forward to it.”

:Jaylen:

can you link to the thread in your sig?

gotta rep dude

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Proud of Jaylen for taking a stance and being one of the first Celtics player to speak up.

And he's apparently got support in Danny Ainge and ownership, as well as in his teammates.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Its not unconsitutional for Trump to say he feels players should stand for the anthem. SMH
You have to be educated before you come out and try to speak.
Damn, SMH.

The worst part is I feel where he is coming from, but the best argument against a good idea is a poor defense, or in this case, presentation of that idea.
If he wants to speak about the constitution, do a quick reading and constitution itself, so you atleast can refer to the constitution on a basic and correct level.
The people are going to eat his ass up for this mistake and invalidate everything he is saying, hopefully he will simply admit his mistake and keep moving forward with his message and takes it as a challenge to increase his knowledge.

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Straight out of Atlanta :salute:

The same guy that scared away some GMs when he was drafted because they said he was too smart

Word?!?!?!

That's pretty fukking messed up if true. Well, their loss has been our gain...and will be for some time :Jaylen:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Word?!?!?!

That's pretty fukking messed up if true. Well, their loss has been our gain...and will be for some time :Jaylen:

NBA Draft: Why teams shouldn't be afraid of Jaylen Brown's intellect
As always, teams will fall in love with certain players and the draft talent will take on added luster as we get closer to June 23rd. One of those players may be Jaylen Brown, a one-and-done prospect from Cal by way of Georgia who brings a pro body and an advanced mind. A highly-touted recruit, Brown's interests at Berkeley included playing chess and taking graduate-level courses. As someone who worked with him said, "He's a guy that's going to use basketball to do great things in life."

It's beyond dumb that having varied interests outside the game is thought of as a red flag, but Brown is a bit of a polarizing prospect. What some see as intellect others views as arrogance.

Jaylen Brown: The 2016 NBA draft’s Renaissance man
This is the kind of 19-year-old NBA draft prospect who, for instance, chooses to enter the draft without an agent, a young man who one NBA executive said could be deemed “too smart for the league.”

“I am who I am. Take it or leave it,” Brown said. “I’m not going to change my values and change my approach because someone feels uncomfortable. I am not going to be disrespectful or step on any toes. But I am going to be me.”

Breh had offers from some of the best programs but attended Cal-Berkley cause he values education
Jaylen Brown - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Its not unconsitutional for Trump to say he feels players should stand for the anthem. SMH
You have to be educated before you come out and try to speak.
Damn, SMH.

The worst part is I feel where he is coming from, but the best argument against a good idea is a poor defense, or in this case, presentation of that idea.
If he wants to speak about the constitution, do a quick reading and constitution itself, so you atleast can refer to the constitution on a basic and correct level.
The people are going to eat his ass up for this mistake and invalidate everything he is saying, hopefully he will simply admit his mistake and keep moving forward with his message and takes it as a challenge to increase his knowledge.

Trump is the POTUS and is a govt actor. Him telling/dictating players to stand for the national anthem is unconstitutional because government actors can't dictate/force players to stand for the anthem in violation of their First Amendment rights. The Constitution protects citizens against government interference.

So he is correct.