Jermell Charlo: I'm Backing GGG, Canelo Avoided Me and Brother!

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Jermell Charlo: I'm Backing GGG, Canelo Avoided Me and Brother!

By Ryan Burton

WBC super welterweight champion Jermell Charlo (29-0) made the first defense of his title in April when he stopped his mandatory challenger Charles Hatley in Brooklyn, New York. He is currently awaiting his next assignment.

The next fight that he is interested in is that of his twin brother, Jermall Charlo, who faces Jorge Heiland of Argentina on Saturday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. It will be Jermall's first fight at 160 pounds.

Jermall defended the IBF super welterweight title three times but decided to move up after his December knockout victory over Julian Williams. The weight was becoming hard to make and with fights against his brother and stablemate (WBA/IBO champion) Erislandy Lara not being options, he decided to move up to pursue challenges in the middleweight division.

charlo-brothers%20(9)%20(720x480)_1.jpg

The top two middleweights, Canelo Alvarez and WBC/WBA/IBF/IBO champion Gennady Golovkin, face each other on September 16th in the biggest fight that can currently be made in the sport. Jermell made it clear who he favors in the fight.

"I am rocking with Triple G right now because Canelo avoided us. He has been avoiding me and my brother. He knows he was supposed to be at '54. He made '55 for like two years. I am fine with that. So stay at '60 because I got someone to chase you there too," Jermell said while referencing Jermall.

He believes that his brother has the skill set to compete with anyone at 160 including the division's boogeyman Golovkin who beat former champion Danny Jacobs in a close fight in March.

"It is going to be a good fight with my brother. My brother can box and can move. He is really crafty in the ring and is going to bring more than what Danny Jacobs brought for sure," said Jermell.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I think Charlo is too in range to be a legit threat to GGG, I don't think he has the power of a Jacobs either or the discipline YET.
That said it is going to be interesting to see how his power translates against established middleweights and if he increases his defense and movement.
That said he knows GGG got CAnelo, we all do.