Jerrod Carmichael's was the worst stand up comedy show I've ever been to.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
fukked up his career???

Dude turned to bussy and is getting the money as a producer and executive

His show ended in 2017.

Show me what he’s done since…
Inspired by the Black Seinfeld thread.

My girl and I went to comedy show in God's Country (Brooklyn for you heathens.) Anyway, Jerrod was the only act and he was late, there were like 6 black people in the audience including my girl and I. So when he gets in he's talking about his life and things of that nature, falling in love and going to therapy, most of it felt like a therapy session. Nothing really funny just kind of him talking about his life with no comedy elements, which is odd because I feel like comedians usually inject that stuff into their lives. (I've seen Dave Chappelle, Michael Che and David Cross live as well as other local NY comedians and they always inject humor into their real life activities.) But he didn't. 15 minutes in and we're sitting on our hands.

Then he talked about his white boyfriend and how he feels like he's smarter than Jerrod. He talked about buying books to read on plane rides and since his boyfriend is a writer he asks him for recommendations. He mentioned picking a book and his bf saying "I don't think you'd like that." But says in his mind he heard him saying "You won't be able to read that you stupid, N Word with the hard R."

Crowd of mostly whites erupts in laughter and my girl and I get up and walk out.

What did people see in this dude exactly? Cause he's not funny and seems like like uncle Remus.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
His standup special 8 was genuinely funny and the Carmichael Show was brilliant and helped put on Lil Rel and Tiffany Haddish.

I stopped checking for him when he did that interview talking about how he only dates white dudes and when black people get on him for it he blames THEM for his own self hatred.

Dude was soft shoeing throughout that entire interview. He’s got MAJOR identity issues and i’m just tired of that “its black people’s fault racism still exists” rhetoric

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
His show was shyt. I tried to watch it and came away thinking that Carmichael was gay. And a few years later, he confesses.

I watched a couple episodes just for David Alan Grier. It was recommended by my sister. It was obvious that dude was gay and my sister acted like I had no clue what I was talking about.

Watch it again. The way he interacts with his girlfriend on the show you can tell he doesn’t like women. He comes off as the creepy/weird gay friend instead of her boyfriend. He is playing the gay dude you have to get past to get at the girl but then you realize it ain’t worth it.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m not surprised. He’s not funny and he used being gay as a way to climb the ranks in entertainment. He doubled down and got a white boyfriend, so they even let him host the Golden Globes. He went and bombed so badly he hasn’t been on the scene since.

Most comedians have respect for guys who “skip” the line (like Kevin Hart) because they put in the work on the way up in the pcircuit, but I haven’t heard anyone speak that highly of Jerrod Carmichael. Outside of people he put on his show.

Desus from Desus and Mero will be the next guy to take the Carmichael route :dame:

Flexington

All Star
Daps
I’m not surprised. He’s not funny and he used being gay as a way to climb the ranks in entertainment. He doubled down and got a white boyfriend, so they even let him host the Golden Globes. He went and bombed so badly he hasn’t been on the scene since.

Most comedians have respect for guys who “skip” the line (like Kevin Hart) because they put in the work on the way up in the pcircuit, but I haven’t heard anyone speak that highly of Jerrod Carmichael. Outside of people he put on his show.

Desus from Desus and Mero will be the next guy to take the Carmichael route :dame:

You see it :russ:

Might’ve started exchanging ”how to” notes here

Neuromancer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Never heard of bruh. But if you knew he was a black gay comedian, then that was a clue that maybe
My girlfriend got tickets and wanted to see if he was good. I'd never seen his show or his stand up. I didn't even care about him being gay. It was the whole fetishistic bent to it and the fact that he said that shyt with cacs all laughing and shyt.

The same thing that Donald Glover got heat for. The reason I don't watch his stuff anymore.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
The fact that this dude had the audacity to try to go at Dave Chappelle when he is literally only relevant because he came out, is hilarious considering he's trying to do sets like Dave right now and FAILING at it because he's not funny.
Jerrod Carmichael is the answer when someone asks what would Dave's current standup look like if someone else did. Dave has a track record of being hilarious so he can get away with it, but Jerrod is seen as vastly overrated by most of the black community, so he doesn't get the same leeway.

Neuromancer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Jerrod Carmichael is the answer when someone asks what would Dave's current standup look like if someone else did. Dave has a track record of being hilarious so he can get away with it, but Jerrod is seen as vastly overrated by most of the black community, so he doesn't get the same leeway.
Idk man. When I saw Dave live, even the stuff he said that wasn't funny made me think and feel something. With Jerrod I was really waiting for something. I think Therapy is great and I wish he would have expounded more on how that has helped him so far. But he went straight to essentially bed-buck jokes.