Joe Quesada leaves Marvel Comics

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Joe Quesada, former Marvel Comics editor-in-chief and current executive vice president and creative director of Marvel Entertainment, has announced he's leaving the company after 22 years.

Quesada made the surprise announcement via Twitter, telling fans, "After two plus decades (has it really been that long?), the time has come for me to move on. As you can imagine, my love for the company, its characters, and all my coworkers runs deep, but I have an exciting new chapter that's about to begin, so the time feels right."

Quesada's long and highly influential Marvel career actually dates back to 1998, when he and frequent collaborator Jimmy Palmiotti were contracted to spearhead the Marvel Knights imprint. Thanks in no small part to Quesada and writer Kevin Smith's Daredevil: Guardian Devil, Marvel Knights proved to be one of Marvel's first major sales successes following its brush with bankruptcy in the mid-'90s. That paved the way for Quesada's rise as Marvel's editor-in-chief in 2000.

Quesada's tenure as EiC proved to be hugely transformative for the company. Quesada oversaw the rise of Marvel's Ultimate Universe line, the revamped Avengers franchise and major crossovers like House of M, Civil War and Secret Invasion. This period also saw a new generation of creators make their names at Marvel, including Brian Michael Bendis (Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers), Ed Brubaker (Captain America, Daredevil), Matt Fraction (The Immortal Iron Fist, Uncanny X-Men) and J. Michael Straczynski (The Amazing Spider-Man, Supreme Power). Quesada was also notable for directly engaging with readers, particularly with his regular Cup O' Joe web column and panels at various comic book conventions.

With the advent of the MCU in the late '00s, Quesada began taking a more active role in developing the company's various multimedia projects, including serving on the sometimes contentious Marvel Creative Committee. He was officially promoted as Marvel's chief creative officer in 2010, and stepped down as EiC the following year. Quesada was then named executive vice president and creative director in 2019 after Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige assumed the chief creative officer role.

Despite a shift to a less public-facing role at Marvel, Quesada's presence has continued to be felt, with his X-Men artwork being featured in 2017's Loganand Quesada voicing a recurring character named Joe in the 2017 animated series Marvel's Spider-Man.
“As an artist and a storyteller, Joe is second to none in what he’s accomplished in the comics industry," said current editor-in-chief C.B. Cebulski in a statement. "From the day I started at Marvel years ago (I became an editor largely due to his encouragement), he’s embodied the heart of Marvel and the work we do, and he’s taught me and so many others how to do the same. Following in his footsteps is no easy task, as he set the creative bar so high. But he's always gone above and beyond to lend me his ear as a mentor and offer his sage advice when needed. He’s someone I can call family, and I know so many on our editorial team feel the same. While Joe’s moving on to begin his next big chapter, I’m thrilled we’re going to keep working together on a few projects, and he’ll never be far from our stories here.”
Feige also released a statement, writing, “There are few who know Marvel Comics like Joe, and his countless contributions have helped create characters and stories that will never stop growing and evolving. I’m grateful for his creative leadership and collaboration over the years and wish him nothing but the best for what’s next.”

Source: Former Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada Leaves Marvel After 22 Years - IGN

It seems like a lot of fans have mixed feelings about Joe Q’s time at Marvel. Some fans maintain that he was a welcome change after the reign of Bob Harras (especially after the comic crash of the mid 90s).
Other fans are disappointed with the decisions Quesada made with certain characters—especially with One More Day and M-Day/House of M.
(IMO the Jim Shooter era was their golden age.)

One thing is for sure… Disney is going to tighten their creative grip on the comics themselves from here on out.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
He was always a better artist than writer to me. He definitely is responsible for some specific epic moments and reveals during his time.

His pen game is so underrated tho
One+More+Day+Spider-Man.jpg

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Kinda surprising, and I can actually take or leave his time as EIC. Much prefer him over Harris, though nowhere near as much as Shooter

his Daredevil art is fukking spectacular, tho. An artist so good that he actually got his INKER over as a comic/household name (Jimmy Palmiotti)

Ironically, I think Palmiotti is a better writer

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
There was proof that he was cooked when he greenlit "One More Day".

The move he'll mostly be praised for is nuking mutantkind with Wanda, to limit what Fox could do with them in movies, in order to get them back on the cheap down the line.

Of course the cosmos always course corrects, and the planned replacement using the Inhumans - of all the groups they could choose - failed spectacularly.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The move he'll mostly be praised for is nuking mutantkind with Wanda, to limit what Fox could do with them in movies, in order to get them back on the cheap down the line.

Of course the cosmos always course corrects, and the planned replacement using the Inhumans - of all the groups they could choose - failed spectacularly.

From a business standpoint, you could put together a narrative that, and eventually cancelling Fantastic Four was a master stroke.

But from a quality standpoint? shyt's been ROUGH at times because of that. Especially with trying to swap the Inhumans in like it was nothing.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Source: Former Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada Leaves Marvel After 22 Years - IGN

It seems like a lot of fans have mixed feelings about Joe Q’s time at Marvel. Some fans maintain that he was a welcome change after the reign of Bob Harras (especially after the comic crash of the mid 90s).
Other fans are disappointed with the decisions Quesada made with certain characters—especially with One More Day and M-Day/House of M.
(IMO the Jim Shooter era was their golden age.)

One thing is for sure… Disney is going to tighten their creative grip on the comics themselves from here on out.
Doubt they will tighten their grip.. since they mine the comics for the mcu stuff.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
he been drawing for marvel since I was in high school

*edit*

ok the 22 years refers to his exclusive position with marvel but he definitely drew for them longer than that

Last edited:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Wonder why he is leaving? Maybe Disney will make him a producer or something?

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
in the current spider-man comics mj has kids right? it's too late to do anything unless they retcon again

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wonder why he is leaving? Maybe Disney will make him a producer or something?

Probably because until Feige massively fukks up, he's essentially just there to be there. Once Feige got the promotion to head of creative for all of Marvel, Quesada was mostly redundant. I could also imagine there are enough people that matter that hold him at least partially responsible for shyt like Secret Empire, Bendis leaving (which really wasn't a loss, but whatever), and Hickman leaving for the first time at least.

There was just nowhere for him to go there.

It'd be perfect fukkery if DC hired him to replace Dan Didio as DC co-pilot.