John Singleton's 'Snowfall' Season 1 Thread

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
John Singleton to chronicle crack epidemic for Showtime Newswire The A.V. Club

One of the most persistent legends in recent American history is how the Reagan-era CIA flooded the ghettos with crack cocaine, using the money to fund its many illegal activities. While this has never been officially proven, the CIA’s best alibi seems to be, “How could we find the time, when we were so busy giving arms to Iran and helping the Contras overthrow a democratically elected government?” And while we don’t know for certain that the CIA was behind the crack epidemic, it remains widely assumed—and true or not, it’s a story that has long captured the public imagination.

It’s such a compelling story, in fact, that director John Singleton is going to retell itfor Showtime. The one-hour drama Snowfall will be set in Los Angeles in 1984, the same time and place as Singleton’s film debut, Boyz N The Hood. It’ll follow a black youth from Compton, a CIA agent running money to the Contras, and—for reasons as yet unexplained—a Mexican wrestler. Singleton will direct and co-write with After Sex writer-director Eric Amadio. Showtime is clearly hoping this story of drug use and urban decay will finally give it an answer to The Wire—only with a Mexican wrestler instead of Omar.

:myman:This gon' be good.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Not saying it won't be interesting ........ but cotdamn ..... its like this is the thrust of the modern African American identity .... like nothing else matters ... music, sports, slavery, and contraband ... the African American experience :snoop:

Where is the Madame C.J. Walker series...that would be crazy dope (damh) ... first black female millionaire (maybe first black overall) ........
Where is the George Washington Carver movie, negro making 100s of products out of cotdamn peanuts.... and all the strife he more than likely went through ...
Where is the black guy that went to the North Pole movie way back when
Etc .....

Last edited:

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Not saying it won't be interesting ........ but cotdamn ..... its like this is the thrust of the modern African American identity .... like nothing matters ... music, sports, slavery, and contraband ... the African American experience :snoop:

Where is the C.J. Madame Walker series...that would be crazy dope (damh) ... first black female millionaire (maybe first black overall) ........
Etc .....

:ehh:You make a good point. I think the new generation though needs to be informed on the crack era though and the real reason why it flooded the ghettos. If you've seen movies like Panther then you already know the story, but this series will be a good refresher for the younger generation to know the truth. And John Singleton can do no wrong when it comes to portraying the hood.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
gotta have F.R.R. on board in some type of capacity in this project

220px-1061638749_rr-23.jpg

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Not saying it won't be interesting ........ but cotdamn ..... its like this is the thrust of the modern African American identity .... like nothing else matters ... music, sports, slavery, and contraband ... the African American experience :snoop:

Where is the C.J. Madame Walker series...that would be crazy dope (damh) ... first black female millionaire (maybe first black overall) ........
Where is the Booker T. Washington movie, negro making 100s of products out of cotdamn peanuts.... and all the strife he more than likely went through ...
Etc .....
Producer 1: We need a show with black people in it...:patrice:

Producer 2: :patrice:
....oh hot damn I got an idea, let's make it about crack! :skip:

Producer 1: I was thinking more along the lines of gangs or basketball but.......yeah crack will work. Great job! :smugdraper:

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Producer 1: We need a show with black people in it...:patrice:

Producer 2: :patrice:
....oh hot damn I got an idea, let's make it about crack! :skip:

Producer 1: I was thinking more along the lines of gangs or basketball but.......yeah crack will work. Great job! :smugdraper:

:whoa:We all know if they did a series about some great black millionaire or activist, nobody would tune in to watch that shyt. Black people like this type of stuff. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
:whoa:We all know if they did a series about some great black millionaire or activist, nobody would tune in to watch that shyt. Black people like this type of stuff. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
They could do a show like that...as long as the main black character......was on crack!
:lolbron:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Where is the Madame C.J. Walker series...that would be crazy dope (damh) ... first black female millionaire (maybe first black overall) ........
Where is the Booker T. Washington movie, negro making 100s of products out of cotdamn peanuts.... and all the strife he more than likely went through ...
Etc .....
i dont wanna speak on ur post exactly :skip:, but i feel like crime/money type shyt is a pretty reliable genre?

i mean lets be honest, do you wanna watch a show about how huge amounts of cash flowed through this country, and the players involved..or do u wanna watch a show about makin shyt outta peanuts

Xbox One X

the kufi smacker
Daps
Reppin
Colifarnia

Etc .....
U mean George W. Carver fam

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i dont wanna speak on ur post exactly :skip:, but i feel like crime/money type shyt is a pretty reliable genre?

i mean lets be honest, do you wanna watch a show about how huge amounts of cash flowed through this country, and the players involved..or do u wanna watch a show about makin shyt outta peanuts

If you got good writers it's irrelevant. I'm sure a talented show runner could easily make the story of George Carver some :whoo: shyt.

The content ain't the main problem though, it's this being on Showtime. They have a terrible track record for quality shows. I'd be a hell of a lot more interested if it was on HBO, or hell, even AMC or FX.

Fred.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining

:lupe: