Jump Rope Recommendations for Beginners

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I want to start incorporating jump ropping into my daily cardio -- and wanted to see if I could get some advice.

I haven't jump-ropped since I was a child - and need some rope recommendations.

I'm 5'2 and a beginner --- so I need a heavy rope that's adjustable or no longer than 8.5ft.

I am also going to be using it indoor and outdoor -- and would like for it to be durable and doesn't hurt when I mess up and it hits me.

Here are a few I'm considering...

Segmented Jump Rope, 8ft
71ZxBOfQZWL._SY550_.jpg

HumanX Jump and Stretch Rope:
human-x-gear-jump-stretch-rope-green.jpg

XYLsports Jump Rope Adjustable for Fitness Boxing Double Unders Exercise
61tFkhgIgTL._SX569_.jpg

Champion Sports Leather Ball Bearing Jump Rope 8.5
81yEw2hSuPL._SX522_.jpg

I like the Crossrope - but I'm not paying that much for a jump rope. Maybe in the future....
Get_Fit_Jump_Rope_Set_540__13861.1515792622.jpg

Experienced jump-roppers - which one would you recommend?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I'm not an expert on this sh1t but I'd assume that jumping rope isn't good for ur joints/knees long-term and something like an elliptical would be a better alternative for your cardio

Maybe. I hope not.

I know jump-ropping is low plyometrics - so I should be good. I'm not going to overdo it. Just 3-4 times a week.

But, I need diversity in my workout routine. I love the E machine and the treadmill -and running/jogging outdoors -- but I want to continue to switch it up.

I'm going to do jump-ropping, swimming and bicycling for the summer to get out of my usual workout.

Thanks for the advice and chiming in!

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I want to start incorporating jump ropping into my daily cardio -- and wanted to see if I could get some advice.

I haven't jump-ropped since I was a child - and need some rope recommendations.

I'm 5'2 and a beginner --- so I need a heavy rope that's adjustable or no longer than 8.5ft.

I am also going to be using it indoor and outdoor -- and would like for it to be durable and doesn't hurt when I mess up and it hits me.

Here are a few I'm considering...

Segmented Jump Rope, 8ft
71ZxBOfQZWL._SY550_.jpg

HumanX Jump and Stretch Rope:
human-x-gear-jump-stretch-rope-green.jpg

XYLsports Jump Rope Adjustable for Fitness Boxing Double Unders Exercise
61tFkhgIgTL._SX569_.jpg

Champion Sports Leather Ball Bearing Jump Rope 8.5
81yEw2hSuPL._SX522_.jpg

I like the Crossrope - but I'm not paying that much for a jump rope. Maybe in the future....
Get_Fit_Jump_Rope_Set_540__13861.1515792622.jpg

Experienced jump-roppers - which one would you recommend?

By far one of the best workouts you can do. Don’t listen to @Take It In Blood, every exercise will cause some discomfort. Working out isn’t supposed to feel good.

I bought a Golds Gym rope from Walmart a few years back and still incorporate it into my workouts.

s-l225.jpg

When I run outside, I do distance, then sprints, & after every sprint I do 1 set of 50 jumps

At the gym I usually do a set of 50 after each exercise

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I'm not an expert on this sh1t but I'd assume that jumping rope isn't good for ur joints/knees long-term and something like an elliptical would be a better alternative for your cardio

Jump rope is way better cardio than being on a elliptical breh. Elliptical machine shouldn't be used other than a warm up or cool down from doing harder cardio

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
By far one of the best workouts you can do. Don’t listen to @Take It In Blood, every exercise will cause some discomfort. Working out isn’t supposed to feel good.

I bought a Golds Gym rope from Walmart a few years back and still incorporate it into my workouts.

s-l225.jpg

When I run outside, I do distance, then sprints, & after every sprint I do 1 set of 50 jumps

At the gym I usually do a set of 50 after each exercise

Thanks for the recommendation!

I am going to get the HumanX one and a Leather one similar to your Gold's Gym one -- and see which one works best for me.

I notice a lot of people do tricks and swing the rope a lot - I just wanna do basic jumping for the first couple of months. -

In order to get the most of the workout should I aim for at least 30 mins every time I do it?

I'm a woman -- and love pilates. But, lately, I have been doing a lot of Gyrotonic work and hoping jump-ropping can change up my usual cardio methods.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
what about joints and long term damage?

it won't give u Kobe knees?

All that wear and tear can't be good.
It has a risk like all lower body workouts but not as big as you think. If your jumping form is wrong then it does increase the chances of injury happening.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Dont get one of those hard ass ropes where if you hit your shin or something you want to hurt something