Other Junior Kimbrough & RL Burnside:The Legacy of Mississippi Legends

Triipe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South Fulton / Mississippi

Junior's Juke Joint, located in a cotton field outside Chulahoma Mississippi, became world renowned thanks to visits from the likes of Iggy Pop and members of the Stones,U2 and others. Mr. Kimbrough passed on in 1998 and his juke joint burned to the ground in 2000.

R.L. Burnside was barely known when this was shot, and the documentary brought to light his music as well as Robert Lockwood Jr. and others who were not well known outside their community. Burnside played a lot of house parties and juke joints, and when people when out they dressed up and they danced and had a good time. Burnside worked for a living and was not a shabby hobo living in a shack. This functioned just as a set, and it was a little jam session. Burnside liked to jam and was very cordial and played with anybody that wanted to play. He loved the music.

He made the music inside me meet the music outside me: everything harmonized raucously for a blazing moment.

Then the music stopped, after just three songs. R.L.’s wife of close to fifty years was taking him home. “Awh, Mama,” he was protesting, but laughing. Someone said she’d objected to a song he’d played, or didn’t play. So his grandson Cedric climbed behind the drum kit and with Kenny Brown on guitar they picked up that emphatic, roiling rhythm full of one-chord riffs, and everyone danced again and drank moonshine until the moon wasn’t shining anymore.

Three years later I’d move to Mississippi, but I never returned to Junior’s. I couldn’t—it burned down in 2000. I’ve heard someone torched it, wrongfully thinking there was insurance money to be had, but I don’t know about that.

Every now and then, someone talks about rebuilding Junior’s. But some things can’t be replicated. They exist on this earth for a while, and then they’re gone. You can rebuild an Applebee’s or a Hilton Hotel bar. You can’t rebuild a Junior’s. You can’t rebuild that soul. I’m proud I can claim it: Children, I went there once. I danced a dance of great power and joy. This was years ago, before the flames came to embroider the blue gown of the Oprah Virgin Mary, before her brown hands blistered, before she cried her soot tears, her eyes cast downward to the clearing where R.L. Burnside used to play and where, once, a shop light glinted off a hook that gently, gently, gently brushed a lock of sweaty hair from off my forehead.
Junior's Place

Fat Possum Records (label behind The Black Keys) eventually got up with RL and Junior and enabled the production of several albums, these classic blues artist are the epitome of doing it for the music.
:blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:
"Situation always was, and has been, very precarious... nobody has guaranteed tomorrow"