Kansas City votes to removed MLK's name from historic street boulevard

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is why I cannot stand click bait ass media in 2019.

Reading the headline, I bet you got riled up and couldn't wait to come in here and engage with each other.

What the headline missed out is how overwhelmingly the entire city, including black people, voted to remove MLK's name from this historic KC street.

See, the street in question is a beloved and iconic black street with a lot of historic significance. It sits in the middle of the hood in KC and up until 9 months ago it was named "The Paseo". There's a famous high school on the street called Paseo, and everyone from KC has probably ran up the Paseo stairs. The City Council voted to rename it to MLK Blvd to the entire city's chagrin and surprise. For the past few months you would see black people all across the city with t-shirts and hoodies on that read "Save The Paseo".

But if you weren't from KC and only read the headline, I'm sure you thought this was some white supremacist conspiracy. Just read the replies on that tweet for proof.

Guile

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Why they care about some High school so much?

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
So you made a thread about a subject..
And are under the presumption that everybody would have just had a hive mind..
Not read the article or wouldn’t have done their own research:jbhmm:
Not everybody on this site or the TLR nut hugs..
People can have respectable debates on here..
But it’s dumb muthafukkas like you op..
That get the computers puttin and don’t allow for healthy discourse..
Your threads always have a certain agenda..
And there are certain posters on here that definitely troll and play the contrarian role..
Just for kicks and to rile people up..
Or..
Can’t read sarcasm or in between the lines..
But I’ll let you cook queen:salute:

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So you made a thread about a subject..
And are under the presumption that everybody would have just had a hive mind..
Not read the article or wouldn’t have done their own research:jbhmm:
Not everybody on this site or the TLR nut hugs..
People can have respectable debates on here..
But it’s dumb muthafukkas like you op..
That get the computers puttin and don’t allow for healthy discourse..
Your threads always have a certain agenda..
And there are certain posters on here that definitely troll and play the contrarian role..
Just for kicks and to rile people up..
Or..
Can’t read sarcasm or in between the lines..
But I’ll let you cook queen:salute:

How does this thread have an agenda?

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
@dj-method-x im glad you made this thread cause I read another article and it had me like :dahell: what the hell is a the pesos they really love that mexican currency that much?
But you explained it well and I understand now.
Since you seem to know the situation, why did they pick that street to try to rename why not antoher street?
The other article I read framed it like the pesasoso had 0 value to the community identity. I mean muthafukkas were running up in churches doing silent protest and shyt :pachaha: seem like a wild situation.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
@dj-method-x im glad you made this thread cause I read another article and it had me like :dahell: what the hell is a the pesos they really love that mexican currency that much?
Since you seem to know the situation, why did they pick that street to try to rename why not antoher street?
The other article I read framed it like the pesasoso had 0 value to the community identity. I mean muthafukkas were running up in churches doing silent protest and shyt :pachaha: seem like a wild situation.
Understand them cacs doin this outta hate. You can literally see the effect of redlining if you stand at paseo and look east and west. To the east where paseo is, predominantly black , them cacs don't care about the community. Well gentrification is happening rapidly. They changed the name of paseo cause it had a bad rep

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I have no idea why they picked The Paseo to rename. In Kansas City, there are literally hundreds of streets that are merely numbers that have zero significance that they could have chose. The few streets in KC that actually have names are iconic black streets: The Paseo, Prospect, Troost, Vine, etc. When the city council did this, the entire city collectively was like

:dahell:

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
I have no idea why they picked The Paseo to rename. In Kansas City, there are literally hundreds of streets that are merely numbers that have zero significance that they could have chose. The few streets in KC that actually have names are iconic black streets: The Paseo, Prospect, Troost, Vine, etc. When the city council did this, the entire city collectively was like

:dahell:
absolute no one asked for the name change. I drove through mlk looking for a address on the paseo last week:mjlol:
I love them cacs angry tho.

Omar Little

It’s all in the Game Yo
Daps
Reppin
B-More
full

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Understand them cacs doin this outta hate. You can literally see the effect of redlining if you stand at Troost and look east and west. To the east where paseo is, predominantly black , them cacs don't care about anything. Well gentrification is happening rapidly. They changed the name of paseo cause it had a bad rep

Amended - but yeah, you right.

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
This is why I cannot stand click bait ass media in 2019.

Reading the headline, I bet you got riled up and couldn't wait to come in here and engage with each other.

What the headline missed out is how overwhelmingly the entire city, including black people, voted to remove MLK's name from this historic KC street.

See, the street in question is a beloved and iconic black street with a lot of historic significance. It sits in the middle of the hood in KC and up until 9 months ago it was named "The Paseo". There's a famous high school on the street called Paseo, and everyone from KC has probably ran up the Paseo stairs. The City Council voted to rename it to MLK Blvd to the entire city's chagrin and surprise. For the past few months you would see black people all across the city with t-shirts and hoodies on that read "Save The Paseo".

But if you weren't from KC and only read the headline, I'm sure you thought this was some white supremacist conspiracy. Just read the replies on that tweet for proof.

My wife from KC and of course knows everybody there. From what I gather, this is way more of a cac agenda than a whole citywide come together thing. Cacs were coming up to black churches to speak on this issue trying to convince black people that this isn't a race issue. Yep, I think it's more there than what you are alluding to.