Kansas to Sperm Donor: You Owe Child Support

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
A sperm donor in Kansas is fighting an effort to force him to pay child support for a child conceived through artificial insemination by a lesbian couple. William Marotta told the Topeka Capital-Journal newspaper he's "a little scared about where this is going to go, primarily for financial reasons." When the 46-year-old donated sperm to Angela Bauer and Jennifer Schreiner in 2009, Marotta relinquished all parental rights, including financial responsibility to the child. But when Bauer and Schreiner filed for state assistance in Kansas this year, the state demanded the donor's name so it could collect child support for the now 3-year-old girl.

The state contends the agreement between Marotta and the women is not valid because Kansas law requires a licensed physician to perform artificial insemination. Bauer and Schreiner have said they fully support Marotta's efforts to fight the state's request. A hearing on a motion by Marotta's attorneys to dismiss the case is scheduled for Jan. 8.

Kansas to Sperm Donor: You Owe Child Support - He is contesting state's case

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC

So if a licensed physician doesn't perform artificial insemination, the child counts as his responsibility even if they made a contract AND the parents don't hold him responsible? :what:

That's absurd. I'm also curious to know how they did the "artificial insemination" without a licensed physician. I can see why the law exists that way, but exceptions like these need to be accounted for.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
So if a licensed physician doesn't perform artificial insemination, the child counts as his responsibility even if they made a contract AND the parents don't hold him responsible? :what:

That's absurd. I'm also curious to know how they did the "artificial insemination" without a licensed physician. I can see why the law exists that way, but exceptions like these need to be accounted for.

Same here.

This is absurd though.