Keanu Reeves Is A Proud Person Of Color, But Doesn't Want To Be 'A Spokesperson'

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Keanu Reeves Is A Proud Person Of Color, But Doesn't Want To Be 'A Spokesperson'
THE ACTOR IS NOW STARRING IN "JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 – PARABELLUM," OUT FRIDAY.
GettyImages-1141631235-900x600.jpg

BERLIN, GERMANY - MAY 06: CANADIAN ACTOR KEANU REEVES POSES AT THE "JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 ñ PARABELLUM" PHOTOCALL AT HOTEL DE ROME ON MAY 6, 2019 IN BERLIN, GERMANY. (PHOTO BY ISA FOLTIN/WIREIMAGE)
BY JOI-MARIE MCKENZIE · MAY 16, 2019

Considering Hollywood’s obsession with talking about diversity—albeit Tinsel Town needs a bit of help with actually executing—you’d think that a billion-dollar franchise being helmed by a person of color would get a few more headlines.

Keanu Reeves, who self-identifies as a person of color, is out with the latest violent installment of John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum, hitting theaters Friday during the middle of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. It follows Reeves’ Wick, who’s now on the run from every single assassin in the world after a $14 million bounty is placed on his head.

When ESSENCE caught up with Reeves last month, the actor admitted that he’s “not a spokesperson” for Asian actors in the Hollywood community.

Still, it doesn’t mean the Canadian, who grew up around Chinese culture thanks to his grandmother, doesn’t care about furthering representation onscreen.

“I hope that whatever opportunities I’ve had, or the work that I’m doing, in some way can entertain and can also—I don’t want to say teach—but have something of value come out of it,” he added.

john-wick-1200x665.jpg

KEANU REEVES AND HALLE BERRY IN JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3.
John Wick director Chad Stahelski added that the film series is so successful partly because of how it’s been cast.

He added that the series is “fortunate to have the following we do, and have it resonate so well—with not just one demographic of an audience—to have it [resonate] cross-culturally…as well as internationally.”