Kinda Funny: "Xbox Has Never Had A GOTY"

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Kinda Funny got kinda real and unleashed the flutes on Xbox today, on their Xbox show. Video is timestamped.

They even said the only GOTY nominations Xbox ever got were bought via Deathloop and Psychonauts 2 :heh:

They kept it real about the racing (and fighting) game genre bias at these award shows too, and how those games never make the GOTY nominees list even when they deserve to (FH5).

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Kinda Funny got kinda real and unleashed the flutes on Xbox today, on their Xbox show. Timestamped below.

They even said the only GOTY nominations Xbox ever got were bought via Deathloop and Psychonauts 2 :heh:

They kept it real about the racing (and fighting) game genre bias at these award shows too, and how those games never make the GOTY nominees list even when they deserve to (FH5).

I wouldn't call it bias, they genuinely don't deserve it. They're a dime a dozen. Someone would have to reinvent the wheel in for any to stand out. I can play the original mortal kombat on and arcade and i still get generally the same experience as playing the the current one, outside of the graphics difference. They not about give a goty award for what is essentially just a graphical improvement to a type of game we've already played a hundred times.
Like the difference between the latest 2k game and batman Arkham asylum's reinventing the beat em up genre using the counter rhythm style of combat instead of the traditional button mashing damage sponge systems that proceeded it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I wouldn't call it bias, they genuinely don't deserve it. They're a dime a dozen. Someone would have to reinvent the wheel in for any to stand out. I can play the original mortal kombat on and arcade and i still get generally the same experience as playing the the current one, outside of the graphics difference. They not about give a goty award for what is essentially just a graphical improvement to a type of game we've already played a hundred times.
Like the difference between the latest 2k game and batman Arkham asylum's reinventing the beat em up genre using the counter rhythm style of combat instead of the traditional button mashing damage sponge systems that proceeded it.

images

but you’re right

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps

I can't speak on fighting games since I'm not invested enough to understand the nuances and know the evolution of the genre, but for racing games, there's no way you can call them a dime a dozen lol. Especially with the recent resurgence of VR racing and sim racing sub genres of racing.

And FH5 was definitely snubbed last year from the GOTY awards.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I don't know that I'd say they don't deserve it, it's just that racing and fighting games have to aim specific audiences, to the point where they don't include some of the things people expect from top end prestige games.

We'll likely never see a plot from a fighting or racing game that's all that deep, or hits emotional notes like some of the other genres. Characters rarely going to have nuanced writing, or layers to them. Johnny Cage, for example, just recently evolved into something beyond being a self-obsessed movie star, and they gave him the ol' "divorced protagonist who loves his kid, and still loves his wife" archetype.

And beyond that, there just aren't as many people out there that are interested in playing a game that's exclusively about racing or fighting. Even third person action games throw in platforming or stealth sections to mix it up.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I can't speak on fighting games since I'm not invested enough to understand the nuances and know the evolution of the genre, but for racing games, there's no way you can call them a dime a dozen lol. Especially with the recent resurgence of VR racing and sim racing sub genres of racing.

And FH5 was definitely snubbed last year from the GOTY awards.
Well in the case of mortal kombat. If you know how to do certain special moves on the original. you can literally try doing the same button combos and do that move today with the most recent games. It's basically different only from a cosmetic perspective. I feel like that is generally the case with fighting games.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I don't know that I'd say they don't deserve it, it's just that racing and fighting games have to aim specific audiences, to the point where they don't include some of the things people expect from top end prestige games.

We'll likely never see a plot from a fighting or racing game that's all that deep, or hits emotional notes like some of the other genres. Characters rarely going to have nuanced writing, or layers to them. Johnny Cage, for example, just recently evolved into something beyond being a self-obsessed movie star, and they gave him the ol' "divorced protagonist who loves his kid, and still loves his wife" archetype.

And beyond that, there just aren't as many people out there that are interested in playing a game that's exclusively about racing or fighting. Even third person action games throw in platforming or stealth sections to mix it up.
Good point, but At the end of your post is a point that i think is most important.

These fighting games and racing games are exclusive to a singler mechanic that many other games have as just one of many. For example Shenmue and the entire Yakukza series basically use tekken fighting game controls for the combat sections, but have a variety of other aspects to them as well.

GTA is basically a racing game, and a first person shooter, third person shooter, dating sim, etc etc etc

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps

I see this argument made a lot, but the reality is we can make this argument for a lot of games that are nominated.

For example, who the hell is playing a game like Hades - that won GOTY from various platforms a year ago. Its only a certain type of gamer thats going to appreciate a game like that. I remember back in the day, games like Journey won GOTY too. Not saying these are bad games, but these are games that are only popular to a certain type of gamer.

And I think that's the thing here, its not about the target audience of these games, because a lot of these racing and fighting games are far more popular and get played more than the niche indie experiences that get nominated every year. Instead, its the show's audience that determine these nominees, not the game's audience. These shows only reflect the tastes of a specific type of gamer.

We see this same type of behavior with music award shows, where they'll ignore music that is actually being enjoyed outside for some artsy fartsy bullshyt that only snobby hipsters enjoy.