KOD is among the most important albums of this generation

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Cole artistically laid out drug addiction, addiction to social media, alcohol, sex, and money

These vices are rampant in our society today and have been glorified in hip hop for years. Decades. He showed the reality of using these vices to cope and the better ways we can cope with the struggles life brings us

He gave the listener a look inside the mindset of an addict addicted to each of these vices. The most gripping and in depth was the song Once An Addict where he paints the picture of his mother being addicted to alcohol

He gives you her perspective and his perspective as he's caught in between wanting to help and wanting to escape the guilt of watching her fall to her vices. This leads to him smoking weed to cope and eventually "running" away from her problems. Leaving for college

FRIENDS is the penultimate track where he speaks to those struggling to cope with their demons and resorting to vices. The "meditate don't medicate" is seen as preachy but it's so important. Instead of coping through unhealthy vices, cope through meditation. As hard as that may be for alot of people, it's one of the best ways to battle your demons and truly find peace

That message is what needs to be broadcasted in hip hop today. On the last song Window Pain he shows you an in depth real life example of how falling to your vices can not only lead to your demise but to others as well. Permanently affecting those not even related to you

At the end the little girl gives her reason for why bad things like this happen in the world

Cole ends the album with her explanation and a voice saying "KOD, Choose Wisely"

Religion is controversial. He gave you this little girl's way of coping with the trauma of her cousin being shot. Meditation, therapy, and religion are three of the most healthy and positive ways to "kill our demons"

These three aren't the easiest to replace unhealthy coping mechanisms with. Especially for someone who's addicted to them. This is why throughout the album, there's a voice that says "Choose Wisely".

Instead of preaching about how drugs are bad and finding inner peace is good on the whole album, he displayed the addictions, why we use them, what happens when we fall into the cycle of relying on them, how we can affect other people through these vices, and how we can be better people and find happiness in spite of them

We all have our ways in coping with our trauma and hardships we face in life. He showed you the bad ways to cope and the good ways to cope

Choose Wisely

Honest music like this needs to be celebrated in hip hop especially since we've seen so many rappers themselves fall victim to their vices. I feel like alot of people heard the album after it came out but didn't really listen to what he was saying on it. In the years to come, KOD will eventually gets the appreciation it deserves

Edit: 2023

He didn't make this album for you to play in the whip mindlessly. This isn't party music

This was way more important than that irrelevant "listenable" narrative the critics spew. This project was supposed to be hard to listen to

Legendary shyt. GOAT shyt

Last edited:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Since the album came out more than a few nikkas have "viced" themselves to death, whether that be drugs or clout, so it doesn't look like any of the messages of the album is sticking with any of its intended audience.

I know importance and impact are two different things, but how important can something be if it had such little impact?

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
Cole is one of my favorite rappers but this album showed us the ‘OG’ is dead. None of these young boys cared to even listen to Cole. Even Pump, Cole told him exactly what’s going to happen when his fans grow up and he doesn’t.

Should be one of the most important albums but unfortunately it’s not

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
I still don’t get how is this dude so successful. Whatever he did is simply amazing

My Hov stannery had me believing Bleek was next up

I tried to force myself into liking his shyt but I just can’t

cole only got like 5 joints I felt

His content is what I want for the most part but he just (redacted)

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Since the album came out more than a few nikkas have "viced" themselves to death, whether that be drugs or clout, so it doesn't look like any of the messages of the album is sticking with any of its intended audience.

I know importance and impact are two different things, but how important can something be if it had such little impact?
There hasn't been many albums in the past 5 years that have been as essential to the culture at large than KOD. Unfortunately it's value hasn't matched it's impact. To me that only highlights where the current state of hip hop is right now

As years go by after he retires, maybe it's remembered more fondly and the impact is made through hindsight

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Kendrick's album was better :manny:
section.80 did it better :manny:
I've always said Kendrick is a better artist and I'm a bigger fan of his music. But the reality is Cole reaches people differently than Kendrick does. He's generally easier to digest to the average listener which is why they both serve a purpose

Why can't we just appreciate greatness
:mjgrin: