Lamar's Legacy Tracker...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Lamar Jackson is set to imminently win his second NFL MVP, presumably, becoming just the 10th multi-winner QB ever. Among quarterbacks, this puts him in some rare air historically, here are the multiple-time MVPs from the quarterback position, guys who won it at least twice:

Manning ('03, '04, '08, '09, '13)

Rodgers ('11, '14, '20, '21)

Brady ('07, '10, '17)
Favre ('95, '96, '97)
Johnny U ('59, '64, '67)

Lamar ('19, '23)
Mahomes ('18, '22)
Warner ('99, '01)
Young ('92, '94)
Montana ('89, '90)

I would venture that most heads would consider the previous 9 multi-winners as Top 15 QBs ever, with probably 7 to 8 of them considered Top 10 QBs ever. This is some rarified air, it isn't easy to win these MVPs and doing it twice puts Lamar as probably a lock GOAT20 quarterback----->

in just his 6th season...

He's improved significantly, and watching him this season has turned me into a fan, and I'm a long time skeptic. It's akin to, I was a longtime critic of LeBron until the 2013 season, the year he took Miami on like that 27-game winning streak. His mastery on both ends of the court, it was too much to deny...

Watching Lamar this year, the leap in accuracy, range of throws, game control, intelligence when he's running, he's clearly significantly improved from when he won the MVP 4 years ago. He's playing on a different level...

I still gotta see him in the postseason, and let's not pull any punches, the playoffs are where you separate the upper echelon greatest of all time, from simply the greats. Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning could never quite hit that Montana and Brady level because the latter two clearly separated themselves with consistently elite play in the playoffs----->whereas the former two didn't...

As it stands now, Lamar Jackson doesn't have a signature playoff moment. He needs it, and that isn't hyperbolic, he's a 2x MVP in a league with some amazing quarterbacks in his age bracket and generation: Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and potentially Love, Herbert, and guys who aren't maybe generational like Dak and Goff but yet are proven winners...

This nikka has a .753 career win percentage, that's 12.8 wins/Per17. My Guy is good for damn near 13 wins/year. For comparison, if I tell you the following are the GOAT12 quarterbacks (sans Lamar) in NFL history, here's what their win percentage was in their primes:

•Brady, 2004-18, .783 (12.5 wins/Per16)
•Mahomes, 2018-present, .768 (13.1 wins/Per17)
•Young, 1992-98, .762 (12.2 wins/Per16)
Lamar, 2019-present, .753 (12.8 wins/Per17)
•Staubach, 1975-79, .750 (10.5 wins/Per14)
•Montana, 1981-90, .748 (12 wins/Per16)
•Manning, 1999-2014, .733 (11.7 wins/Per16)
•Rodgers, 2009-21, .700 (11.2 wins/Per16)
•Unitas, 1957-67, .669 (9.4 wins/Per14)
•Favre, 1992-2003, .661 (10.6 wins/Per16)
•Elway, 1986-98, .634 (10.1 wins/Per16)
•Marino, 1983-92, .624 (10 wins/Per16)
•Brees, 2004-19, .619 (9.9 wins/Per16)

Don't tell me wins aren't a quarterback stat, great quarterbacks fukking win football games. And if I compare Lamar, still young in his prime, to the 12 greatest QBs ever, he's got the fourth highest winning percentage. Amongst legends...

But there's a huge gap between being Marino, an All-Timer who never won a championship, and being Brady. A gap between being a multiple time champion and arguably the GOAT like Montana, and being a guy who won it once like Brees...

I'm impressed with Lamar but I gotta see his playoff work improve. I'm now a fan though, and I'm rooting for him, but I gotta see it!

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I'm impressed with Lamar but I gotta see his playoff work improve. I'm now a fan though, and I'm rooting for him, but I gotta see it!
Peyton Manning couldn’t win the big game, until he did.

John Elway couldn’t win the big game, until he did.

Andy Reid couldn’t win the big game, until he did.

Lamar will be fine - irrelevant of what happens to the Ravens in the upcoming playoffs.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Peyton Manning couldn’t win the big game, until he did.

John Elway couldn’t win the big game, until he did.

Andy Reid couldn’t win the big game, until he did.

Lamar will be fine - irrelevant of what happens to the Ravens in the upcoming playoffs.
The Manning comp fits, in his first 5 years he was 0-3 in the playoffs. Lamar is 1-3...

This Elway comp doesn't work, he was 4-3 in his first 5 years, was 2-0 in the AFCCG, and led the Broncos to their first two Super Bowl appearances. Thru 5 years he was more proven than Lamar, and one thing I'll never fukk with on the Elway dissing, is dude was always a winner...

It took until the end to win The Big One but fam was always a winner...

Lamar doesn't have to win the whole thing, that isn't what I'm saying. Bit he has just one playoff win. He has to at least get to Rd3 this year, no question, and he has to play well...

He's in Y6, if he doesn't win it all this year it's not a big deal, presumably he has plenty of time. It's when you get 10 years in with no championships that it starts looking terrible, as of now he just needs to play well in the playoffs for once...

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
This is why I always thought the criticism he received was overblown. Folks really tried to downplay the fact that he won a MVP like it's easy to do. Or his win percentage. Or that many said he can't play QB. Let's not forget that he saved Harbaugh's job. I have no issue with the postseason play criticism but some act like he's Baker when he's the exact opposite. I hope we win it all so that he can stand on that podium and tells everyone who said he couldn't play QB to kiss his ass.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Listing Mahomes as one of the 12 greatest QBs ever at age 28, even Klutchsiderock was forced to lean back :wow:
I wanna clarify for anyone who may be confused, that I only listed guys in order of their career win percentage, not ranking them the way I have them. I do not think Mahomes is the second greatest quarterback ever...

But one thing I always strive for is objectivity, so yes, I do think he's a GOAT12 quarterback! 🤣

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Obviously people forget all about defense when they talk about QB, like Ravens 17 - 13 was a typical Ravens score in the majority of this season. A lot of that was on his receivers though, and he's obviously still the MVP.

But with that being said, we can't be comparing career averages of people who've retired with those who have just a few years

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Obviously people forget all about defense when they talk about QB, like Ravens 17 - 13 was a typical Ravens score in the majority of this season. A lot of that was on his receivers though, and he's obviously still the MVP.

But with that being said, we can't be comparing career averages of people who've retired with those who have just a few years
Yes we can, Roger Staubach really only had 5 GREAT years. Steve Young only had like 6...

Mahomes is in his 6th year as an elite player, Lamar in his 5th. They've done enough to be worthy of All-Time comparison...

And I'm one of these defense first posters, I LOVE elite defense. I was skeptical of Baltimore's defense earlier on but I'm a believer now. This is notwithstanding the fact that Lamar is the best player on that team...

Winning ~13 games/year annually over a half-decade stretch is some historically elite shyt. The defense could be elite and you miss the playoffs. Great quarterbacks elevate the entire franchise and operation...