Language Learning Question

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For those who learned Spanish, or are learning Spanish, how is your writing ability? Do you know where you would need to place accents on certain words? I speak Spanish since birth, and I can read and write, but I don't know where to place accent marks when writing. It doesn't really affect my comprehension at all, but it does make my writing imperfect and it makes me read slower when I encounter a word that I'm not familiar with.

Is it the same in French, Italian, Portuguese, and other Romance Languages. If I were learning one of those languages from scratch, would I eventually need to learn about accent marks in order to reach the next level in those languages?

Last edited:

Darealtwo1

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
:mjcry:

maxresdefault.jpg

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

A thread like this dies here, but I was genuinely curious. I speak Spanish fluently, but I know that if I had full knowledge of accent marks that I'd be better overall.

It kind of makes me hesitant to look into learning languages like French, because I know that they have their accents too.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A thread like this dies here, but I was genuinely curious. I speak Spanish fluently, but I know that if I had full knowledge of accent marks that I'd be better overall.

It kind of makes me hesitant to look into learning languages like French, because I know that they have their accents too.
Im not a spanish guy, but as a dude who learned 2 Asian languages, 1 middle eastern language, and French, i found that writing was the easiest part to get down. You will be a fluent reader and writer before you even get bussiness lvl speach in most languages cause you dont have to deal with social queues.

Accent marks are nothing when weighed against the complexity of spoken language, so most folks over compensate there. I know i did.:manny:

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Is it the same in French, Italian, Portuguese, and other Romance Languages. If I were learning one of those languages from scratch, would I eventually need to learn about accent marks in order to reach the next level in those languages?
As a non native French speaker, I'd say yeah. It's not hard though. Dont learn it by rote, it won't stick. Learn how the different accent marks sound.

My hs teacher used to quiz us like that, she'd just read out a paragraph and we had to accurately transcribe it, accents and all. I still do it my head.

(I also know Latin and classical Greek.)

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im not a spanish guy, but as a dude who learned 2 Asian languages, 1 middle eastern language, and French, i found that writing was the easiest part to get down. You will be a fluent reader and writer before you even get bussiness lvl speach in most languages cause you dont have to deal with social queues.

Accent marks are nothing when weighed against the complexity of spoken language, so most folks over compensate there. I know i did.:manny:

I have some experience with Japanese students who can write decent English, but their speaking ability is horrid!

I never really tried to learn a language seriously. I am currently on-again and off-again with Japanese (about to start it up again in about 2 weeks). I never learned Spanish, because I was raised with it. This is why I'm not good at accent marks.

You seem to have a knack for learning languages.

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I have some experience with Japanese students who can write decent English, but their speaking ability is horrid!

I never really tried to learn a language seriously. I am currently on-again and off-again with Japanese (about to start it up again in about 2 weeks). I never learned Spanish, because I was raised with it. This is why I'm not good at accent marks.

You seem to have a knack for learning languages.
reading and write is easier because you control the pace
but when u are in a conversation you have to be at the speed of the speaker
when I was learning by the time I understood the 1st sentence the speaker was on the 5th sentence
plus people mash words together and shorting sounds example "I am going to the store" would be said "I'm gonna go ta da stoe" most people aint clearly pronouncing each syllable but when you learning that shyt will have you fukked up

TL15

Veteran
Daps
Writing is an antiquated form of communication.

get a Spanish keyboard on your phone and let technology do the rest

not saying this to be ignorant or a :troll: but practically and functionally speaking it’s true :yeshrug:

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
I suck when it comes to writing, but I don’t write in Spanish much unless I’m texting, and I have the Spanish keyboard at auto corrects it for me :yeshrug:

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I suck when it comes to writing, but I don’t write in Spanish much unless I’m texting, and I have the Spanish keyboard at auto corrects it for me :yeshrug:

I'm 98% perfect when it comes to writing in Spanish. I just don't add any accent marks except for the "en-ye". Not being familiar with the accent marks slows down my reading greatly though.

Writing is an antiquated form of communication.

get a Spanish keyboard on your phone and let technology do the rest

not saying this to be ignorant or a :troll: but practically and functionally speaking it’s true :yeshrug:

I feel you. I guess it would be embarrassing if you were asked to read something aloud in front of other people, but in every other situation you'd probably be fine.

I guess the reason I originally asked the question was because I found myself having some difficulty while reading in Spanish (despite being a native speaker), and I was wondering how others on this site who actually studied the language (and consider themselves fluent) guage their reading ability.

In general though, you can definetly survive without needing to know how to read and write, but I don't know if you can really thrive though.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
For those who learned Spanish, or are learning Spanish, how is your writing ability? Do you know where you would need to place accents on certain words? I speak Spanish since birth, and I can read and write, but I don't know where to place accent marks when writing. It doesn't really affect my comprehension at all, but it does make my writing imperfect and it makes me read slower when I encounter a word that I'm not familiar with.
Spanish accents in writing are "easier" than in other languages because they follow strict rules, but you still have to know how the word is pronounced and where the accent falls phonetically. You generally write it if the word ends with a voyel, n or s and the accent falls on the last syllable, or if it doesn't end with a voyel, n or s and it falls on the second to last syllable.

In other cases it's just a matter of differentiating between the conjugated form and the rest

For example, the conjugated form of estar in the present tense will have an accent, but not the demonstrative noun

Ex: está en su casa nadando en las nalgas de una PAWG
vs esta mujer es bella

The part where it gets trickier is when you conjugate and that additional syllables get in the mix. But it's mostly a matter of learning the rules.

And no, it's not the same in french where written accents go where they want and serve different functions. It's not just a tonal emphasis, it's supposed to represent the way you pronounce it to. It's more of a pain in the ass.

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess it is just a matter of knowing the context.

I like your example sentences. Since I know the langauge, I would still pronounce "esta" correctly in each of the sentences, but I see how a beginner learner might not pronounce it correctly without the assistance of the accents.

Btw, you know more about the rules than I do, but I would've said "un PAWG" instead of "una PAWG". It sounds better. I know you probably don't wanna get accused of being a TREH-lover though.