Learning to code in your 20s

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
I'm a 21 y/o college student thinking about taking the plunge into coding:lupe: I'm not that good at math, so I was apprehensive about doing it. But I spoke to a girl that knows a couple languages & she said there's barely any math involved at all.

Is it too late? I heard that it's best to learn as a child

What's the best language to learn? The homegirl suggested Python as a beginning, but nothing after that. I wanna learn how to make cool interactive websites & apps

Also, what platform should I use to learn? I don't mind books, websites, whatever. She recommended w3schools.org.

Daps
Lynda.com is a good source for coding information, they have "classes", that are videos on all types of programming languages. The videos are a few hours long broken down into segments with exercises, but they do a good job showing you the basics of Programming.

There is a cost associated, but it's been changed since LinkedIn bought them. But if you're a college student there's a good chance your school provides it for free.

Java is also a good language to learn. C-based languages are popular, but C itself has a steep learning curve if you learn it after something like Java, because there are no training wheels.

Burned Verses

Superstar
Daps
21 is FAR from late.

Python's an easy language to familiarize you with programming but the bare necessities for web design is HTML,CSS, and Javascript. Look into React if you feel confident in those 3 since it's in demand but a bit difficult to pick up for a newcomer

Try out Udemy for some courses. They go as low as 20$ when on sale.

The Web Developer Bootcamp

Daps
Reppin
Canada
Bruh I learned to do that shyt in my 30s :flabbynsick:

no money for school. No time to sit in a class as my weak pullout game left me with pickney to take care of. It ain’t easy but you are in no way, shape or form too old to learn it.

If you don’t have money for school, drop like $20 on some Udemy courses. Make sure you contribute to open source projects on GitHub too. You’ll be able to see code from people who actually know what they’re doing and you can extrapolate those principles and design patterns to shape your own code. Courses help but you won’t really learn shyt until you work on projects solo and with other people.

python was the easiest shyt to learn as a beginner but I’d also recommend figuring out JavaScript too. C+ and Java are good to learn too but in my opinion, they’re going to be phased out by all these JavaScript frameworks.

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!

no money for school. No time to sit in a class as my weak pullout game left me with pickney to take care of. It ain’t easy but you are in no way, shape or form too old to learn it.

If you don’t have money for school, drop like $20 on some Udemy courses. Make sure you contribute to open source projects on GitHub too. You’ll be able to see code from people who actually know what they’re doing and you can extrapolate those principles and design patterns to shape your own code. Courses help but you won’t really learn shyt until you work on projects solo and with other people.

python was the easiest shyt to learn as a beginner but I’d also recommend figuring out JavaScript too. C+ and Java are good to learn too but in my opinion, they’re going to be phased out by all these JavaScript frameworks.
I second this motion.

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

This in a nut shell, I learned to code in my 30's

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Balla

Superstar
Daps
I'm 32 and currently 50% through the course suggested above and I also recommend it. There is a Facebook Group specifically for the course that you can join and get a mentor for free to help if you get stuck or start to feel burnt out.
What’s the first job you can apply for after you complete the course?