Lebron's advice to his boys on guns, police

Big Daddy

Fight or die fighting, no surrender.
Daps
LeBron James Discusses His Advice For His Sons On Guns & The Police
Feb 12, 2015
By Jillian Bowe
lebronjames-crop.jpg

NBA forward LeBron James is keeping it very candid on how he teaches his sons about guns and police shootings involving Blacks in America.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, James discusses with the trade paper what projects he’s got going on outside the world of basketball.

While James is starting to establish himself in Tinsel Town with producing television shows such as Becoming for Disney, Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse, reality series Uninterrupted for Turner’s digital platform Bleacher Report and other shows in the works, he still is cognizant of the realities of being a black male in America.

During the interview, King James revealed on the heels of 12-year-old Tamir Rice’s death at the hands of Cleveland police officers in the park, while playing with a toy gun, he has talked with his sons about the dangers they may face.

James stated:
I have those conversations with my boys. They have tons of play guns. None of them look real. We have Nerf guns that are lime green and purple and yellow. But I don’t even let them take them out of the house.
James also disclosed how he’s preparing to speak with sons LeBron Jr, 10 and Bryce, 7 on what they should do when they are stopped by police officers in order to avoid being gunned down.

James remarked:
And the talk is, ‘You be respectful, you do what’s asked and you let them do their job, and we’ll take care of the rest after. You don’t have to boast and brag and automatically think it’s us against the police.’ I’ve had one or two encounters with the police in my life that were nothing. But sometimes you just got to shut up. It’s that simple. Just be quiet and let them do their job and go on about your life and hopefully things go well.

I :salute: him for having that talk with them.
There's still far too many Black parents out there telling their Black kids that all they have to do is keep their hair cut, face shaven, and speak properly with a slight bow in their back for meekness, and all will be okay with the police.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
James remarked:
And the talk is, ‘You be respectful, you do what’s asked and you let them do their job, and we’ll take care of the rest after. You don’t have to boast and brag and automatically think it’s us against the police.’ I’ve had one or two encounters with the police in my life that were nothing. But sometimes you just got to shut up. It’s that simple. Just be quiet and let them do their job and go on about your life and hopefully things go well.
It's really that simple in most situations. I wish a lot of black men and women could understand this.

But at the same time there are random instances whre someone's just having a bad day and they are bound to be an a$$hole no matter how cool you try to keep it.

But in reality i feel like too many mofos be instigating cops into some of the sh!t. Mofos wanna be rebels over nothing. You knew you were speeding but you gotta cuss the man out asking him why he's stopping you just to show off to ya boy that you'r e not cooperating with popo

Ive never had no altercation with no cop. And trust me i have a lead foot and they stop me quite often. But by the time they get to my window i already have my license and registration out to them and keep my answers short and sweet

Last edited:

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
You have the right to make sure its in a public place and well lit. This is the advice the police captain of Miami gave, he says if the officer wilds out he will take care of them.

Big Daddy

Daps
But in reality i feel like too many mofos be instigating cops into some of the sh!t. Mofos wanna be rebels over nothing. You knew you were speeding but you gotta cuss the man out asking him why he's stopping you just to show off to ya boy that you'r e not cooperating with popo

Wish I could disagree but I've seen that too many times myself.

The problem , though, is that we're not getting shot down during those instances.. we're getting shot down when we ARE cooperating

Big Daddy

Daps
You have the right to make sure its in a public place and well lit. This is the advice the police captain of Miami gave, he says if the officer wilds out he will take care of them.

I can't imagine the amount of fleeing and eluding charges the Miami PD has trumped up on ppl following that advice :dead:

Big Daddy

Daps
I hear what he's saying and agree, but the problem is John Crawford wasn't being hostile, Eric Garner wasn't being hostile. Yet they were still killed

That's my problem with what he's saying, too. But at the same time, what more could he tell them?

What more can we do besides be quiet and cooperate(which is basically what he said)?

It's sad we even have to have these discussions with our CHILDREN

miranda

Banned
Supporter
Daps
They shot that little boy down within three seconds of pulling up on him.
They didnt give him a chance to " be respectful and let them do their job" and there is no after.
I get what he was going for though

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Wish I could disagree but I've seen that too many times myself.

The problem , though, is that we're not getting shot down during those instances.. we're getting shot down when we ARE cooperating
I'm not disputing those instances. . Cops in the united states are indeed trigger happy when it comes to black suspects or interacting with black people. But those instances are NOT the majority. I'd say less than 1/3 even because the average cop in certain areas stops about 10 people a day

Big Daddy

Daps
I'm not disputing those instances. . Cops in the united states are indeed trigger happy when it comes to black suspects or interacting with black people. But those instances are NOT the majority. I'd say less than 1/3 even because the average cop in certain areas stops about 10 people a day

What does the percentage rate that it happens, even matter? There's a percentage where Black lives begin to matter and when they don't?? :dahell:

Big Daddy

Daps
They shot that little boy down within three seconds of pulling up on him.
They didnt give him a chance to " be respectful and let them do their job" and there is no after.
I get what he was going for though

They don't hear you though. Like I said(and youve just said) I agree with what he's "trying to do" in talking with them but he needed to be a little more realistic..just being a "good negro" doesn't guarantee shyt. But what more could he have said? Keep a gun on you at all times son in case the police get rough, while not keeping a gun on you, son? It's crazy.