Left Chicago 6 months ago to live in Nigeria, ask a breh anything!

Hydroking23

Gunners for Life!
Daps
Reppin
Michigan Avenue & Aba Road
Born in the Chi and lived all my life in the states. Dad is 100% Nigerian, mom is African American.

Decided to pack it up and move to my fatherland after college. Lived in Nigeria for 6 years. Came back to Chicago for 2 years due to a family members sickness, but moved back last December and been here since.

Ask me anything!

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What city or town do you live in? What's the costs of living?

Lazy Migrant

Migrated
Supporter
Daps
How have low oil prices affected everyday life?

If American Brehs wanted to move there what are some good ways to earn a living?

Hydroking23

Gunners for Life!
Daps
Reppin
How are the woman over there?

The women are the truth! Honestly, they love American accents to death. Once they Thank you hear you talk its a wrap! Just gotta watch out for the citizenship chasers :russ:

how's the job prospects / salary ceiling.
What's the nightlife like?
Sup with Boko Haram
Whats the ratio of cacs there

Job prospects are quite terrible actually. Unless you got some serious technical skills (petroleum/electrical engineering, automotive or IT skills) the job prospects aren't great if you don't have Political connections.

Most people are civil servants work for various arms of the local, state and federal government. Depending on what state you live in you might not get paid for up to 5 months! If you get a job in an oil company(Shell, Total, Elf or Chevron) you'll live like a king.

Boko haram is mainly in the North east part of Nigeria I'm in Port Harcourt, southern Nigeria so its not an issue here. Port Harcourt has a good nightlife full of clubs and joints (outside bars).

The cac to black ratio is about 5000 to 1 in port harcourt.

What city or town do you live in? What's the costs of living?

I'm in Port Harcourt, Rivers state. The cost of living is really cheap especially now due to the recession. The naira(Nigerian currency) to dollar exchange rate is 385 to 1. My 2 bed room 2 bathroom apartment cost about 600,000 per year. They pay rent annually here so you can live relatively comfortable making $1000 per month:jawalrus:
Cost of living??
How do you see Nigeria's future at the current moment??

The future looks bright to be honest in my opinion. President Buhari has a lot of infrastructural projects on the table and the foreign investment is steady despite the recession.

How have low oil prices affected everyday life? If American Brehs wanted to move there what are some good ways to earn a living?

It has essentially doubled the price of all goods and services. Since Nigeria operates as a mono economy, oil accounts for over 90% of Nigerias foreign earnings. On top of that Nigeria imports EVERYTHING. Once the price of oil crashed everyone was basically fukked.
If you want to come here I'd advise that you first make some Nigerian friends in the US first, that way you can always come with them to visit. Having a support structure made the transition so much easier for me. If you have carpentry, masonry or any sort for vocational/technical skills you will eat good.
What do you do out there & are you in Lagos?

Also, how much Suya do you eat a week? :noah:

I work for a State government development agency in Port Harcourt. I eat suya twice a week(Chicken and Ram suya :salute:). Also Shawarmas are really popular here. They be havin a brotha like:feedme:

Is Nigeria cac free?
No, there are a number of whites in Lagos, Port Harcourt (my town) and Abuja. Many of them are ex pats working in foreign companies or embassies.

Hydroking23

Gunners for Life!
Daps
Reppin
Do you agree with the migos?:troll:

Yeah! They spoke on their perspective. Nigeria has a long way to go. As I type there is no electricity. I gotta make a run to the gas station to get fuel for my generator :sadcam:

What's the economy like?

How has Boko Haram affected the psyche of Northern Nigerians? Are they nervous? Embarrassed? Annoyed? Etc?

The economy is pretty erratic mainly because Nigeria depends solely on oil. When oil prices are high things are relatively better. When they are low, well you get the idea.

Boko haram has had a negative impact on northerners. No one wants to even to to those areas anymore, not like there was much to see in the first place :mjlol:
But for the people from there it's an ugly reminder about extremism and external geopolitical posturing.

Is tribalism a big threat to national security there? How common is violence between Igbos, Youruba and Hausa?

I've always said that when I left America id be trading one "ism" for another (Racism for Tribalism). It really depends on where you are. In some places hausas and yorubas fight, in other places igbos and hausa/fulanis fight. Those just the major tribes, you still have other tribes like the ijaws, Ibibios, Urhobos etc that have their own clashes.:yeshrug: