Lifting Heavy for Women - How-To and Starting Weights?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Got it.

I don't really have any shareable pictures that show skin/body. But can you tell here?

I am around 128lbs here- and I think I looked kinda fat. I am smaller in my upper body now - I was a 36D here - I have went down a bra size since.

60x2rVy.png
don't take this the wrong way, but do you hang around all white people? or have you had an eating disorder or any body image issues in the past? because you're tripping, there is absolutely nothing fat about you. you're letting your nitpicking of your body get the best of you. women are too hard on ourselves, but there's normal "i wish this was better" talk and then there's becoming too obsessive where you're seeing more wrong than what exists.

you seem like you just need to get active, the extra 3-4 lbs you're worried about will drop and basically any weight lifting regimen will give you "gains" (you'll likely put on a couple pounds of lean mass). i think you posted here before, but just get a good amount of protein, do cardio 2-3x week, and start your (or a) lifting program 3-4x week. at that activity level and with how small you are, i think you'll make progress eating at maintenance. but if after a month you haven't lost inches (don't worry about your weight), cut 200-300 cals from your daily intake and see if that helps

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
don't take this the wrong way, but do you hang around all white people? or have you had an eating disorder or any body image issues in the past? because you're tripping, there is absolutely nothing fat about you. you're letting your nitpicking of your body get the best of you. women are too hard on ourselves, but there's normal "i wish this was better" talk and then there's becoming too obsessive where you're seeing more wrong than what exists.

you seem like you just need to get active, the extra 3-4 lbs you're worried about will drop and basically any weight lifting regimen will give you "gains" (you'll likely put on a couple pounds of lean mass). i think you posted here before, but just get a good amount of protein, do cardio 2-3x week, and start your (or a) lifting program 3-4x week. at that activity level and with how small you are, i think you'll make progress eating at maintenance. but if after a month you haven't lost inches (don't worry about your weight), cut 200-300 cals from your daily intake and see if that helps

Well, to be totally honest. I have battled an ED since I was a teen. It has been in remission for years - but sadly those thoughts never go away.

But, I'm hard on myself - just in general.

I have posted here a few times - and you chimed in with very helpful advice. I will definitely do the heavy lifting 3-4x per week and see if that yields the results I am looking for.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Well, to be totally honest. I have battled an ED since I was a teen. It has been in remission for years - but sadly those thoughts never go away.

But, I'm hard on myself - just in general.

I have posted here a few times - and you chimed in with very helpful advice. I will definitely do the heavy lifting 3-4x per week and see if that yields the results I am looking for.
please don't be hard on yourself, i work my ass off to stay fit, i'd kill to be naturally petite like you. if you do go into this, please put the many health benefits ahead of what you're aiming for in the mirror – you look fine, seriously

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I know you are giving me the right advice - BUT.....

Now, I'm worried. I don't hold weight well - weight gain is not a good look on me.

I want to gain lean muscle - but I also want to look great this summer. I don't want to look like I been eating cheese sandwiches.

If lifting will keep me looking the same but a higher weight on scale I think I can deal with that.

Maybe I need to hold off till this coming winter.

Should I cut/lose some weight to offset the gain I will have from lifting?
You are in a tight spot then. You probably started too late. Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. Can't build muscle without gaining weight and putting on fat. Wait until the fall... Trying to stay lean and gain muscle will be a waste of time

Daps
I want to incorporate more strength training in my weekly workouts. I already do free-weights circuit training 2-3 times per week - but my highest free-weight pair is 10lbs.

I want to start lifting heavy weights to build more lean muscle and continue to tone.

I am interested in doing either StrongLifts (5x5), Starting Strength or the Strong Curves program. I am leaning toward Strong Lifts (5x5).

StrongLifts 5×5 is the simplest, most effective workout to build muscle, gain strength and get ripped. Thousands of people worldwide have used it to change their bodies and lives. It’s the most popular strength and muscle building program on the internet because it’s simple and works.

On StrongLifts 5×5 you workout three times a week. Each workout you do three barbell exercises for sets of five reps. The five exercises you’ll do on StrongLifts 5×5 are the Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Barbell Row. Together they work your whole body.

The goal on StrongLifts 5×5 is to increase the weight. You start light, lift with proper form, and add 2,5kg/5lb each workout. This progressive increase in weight triggers your body to get stronger and build muscle. It’s the simplest and most effective way to get results.​

StrongLifts 5×5 is most effective for beginners new to lifting weights. This is the definitive guide to the StrongLifts 5×5 workout program.

Read more StrongLifts 5×5 Workout Program for Beginners | StrongLifts

My question is what weight amount do I start at? I don't want to start too light and waste my time.

What would be a good stating weight for 5x5 training for someone 5'2 125lbs -130lbs? I really don't want to lose much weight - maybe 5-8lbs - but weight loss isn't really my goal.

My goals is to lower BF percentage, gain muscle, tone and just overall look even better naked.

Sadly, vanity reasons.

I'd consider losing the 5 lbs first with a clean diet and extra cardio. Then go into a "bulk" phase and focus on lifting, clean diet and some cardio to keep your heart strong.

Can't bulk and cut at the same time. Lean people tend to focus on lifting since they struggle to maintain mass and usually don't eat as heavy as they THINK they do. Thick people need more cardio to uncover the lean mass underneath the excess lbs.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
And naturally even if you bulked first as long as you aren't eating junk, your body would do a recomp and you'd actually look more "Fit" at a higher weight. If I were you I would do a 10lb bulk at a rate of .5lbs a week. So then when you finally cut you won't be skinny fat.

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
I want to incorporate more strength training in my weekly workouts. I already do free-weights circuit training 2-3 times per week - but my highest free-weight pair is 10lbs.

I want to start lifting heavy weights to build more lean muscle and continue to tone.

I am interested in doing either StrongLifts (5x5), Starting Strength or the Strong Curves program. I am leaning toward Strong Lifts (5x5).

StrongLifts 5×5 is the simplest, most effective workout to build muscle, gain strength and get ripped. Thousands of people worldwide have used it to change their bodies and lives. It’s the most popular strength and muscle building program on the internet because it’s simple and works.

On StrongLifts 5×5 you workout three times a week. Each workout you do three barbell exercises for sets of five reps. The five exercises you’ll do on StrongLifts 5×5 are the Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Barbell Row. Together they work your whole body.

The goal on StrongLifts 5×5 is to increase the weight. You start light, lift with proper form, and add 2,5kg/5lb each workout. This progressive increase in weight triggers your body to get stronger and build muscle. It’s the simplest and most effective way to get results.​

StrongLifts 5×5 is most effective for beginners new to lifting weights. This is the definitive guide to the StrongLifts 5×5 workout program.

Read more StrongLifts 5×5 Workout Program for Beginners | StrongLifts

My question is what weight amount do I start at? I don't want to start too light and waste my time.

What would be a good stating weight for 5x5 training for someone 5'2 125lbs -130lbs? I really don't want to lose much weight - maybe 5-8lbs - but weight loss isn't really my goal.

My goals is to lower BF percentage, gain muscle, tone and just overall look even better naked.

Sadly, vanity reasons.
Got it.

I don't really have any shareable pictures that show skin/body. But can you tell here?

I am around 128lbs here- and I think I looked kinda fat. I am smaller in my upper body now - I was a 36D here - I have went down a bra size since.

Image removed. :smile:
Stronglifts focuses on improving your base fitness/strength with strength training at 85-90% of your 1 rep max 3-5 times for abot 2-3 sets. This inherently will not make you grow much muscle size/mass as it isn't stressing the muscle tissue much. What you need to do is increase the intensity as well as reduce the volume to 70-80% of your 1 rep max and do anywhere between 8-12 reps for 3-5 sets.

Essentially what your are aiming for is to maintain your current size but put on mass to which you can achieve through hypertrophy.

If I were you I'd train 3 days per week leaving a day in between

Also note there is more than one way to stress the muscle enough to elicit hypertrophy, for example these include:
  1. Strength Training (weight lifting, calisthenics)
  2. Reactive-Strength Training (dynamic stretching, yoga, plyometrics) this will reduce muscle slack ie make you perform faster and more efficient and in turn will increase your mobility and flexibility to go heavier.
  3. vO2 Max Training (any form of cardio like FARTLEK, HIIT done at 80-90% of your max heart rate or lengthy steady state cardio to build endurance)

Since you just want to put on mass find the exercises you like and train to improve the muscles that need work in your opinion.

You need to eat *complete proteins like from meat sources and beans etc.

Here's a video to better explain it.

But do note that training for hypertrophy solely for many months and or years is not a good thing as it will ruin you bio mechanics and you'll just end up injuring yourself regardless of rest and nutrition. When you train for hypertrophy only what you are actually doing is breaking the natural balance in your body because you are making one muscle bigger/stronger for aesthetic reasons instead of being functional. This is why the 5x5 program is good because it just focuses on compound lifts that work the entire body and everything grows in unison which is what I meant by functional as your muscles are the size they need to be to work efficiently. Combine strength training with reactive strength training and core work on non lifting days like the days you do cardio to increase your vO2 max.

Good luck on your journey, brehette. I'm in the same boat too.

Last edited: