Lupe Fiasco Pre-LASERS appreciation thread

WOAHMYGOODNESS

Your TSC World Champion
Daps

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyLLmByA6Y0"]Lupe Fiasco- Failure - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-goPCAwt_k"]Lupe Fiasco - Strange Fruition (Feat. Casey Benjamin)(Food and Liquor II)(September 2012) - YouTube[/ame]
:to: i miss you LuEmperor

Last edited by a moderator:

ReasonableMatic

Daps
listen as I school on the rules to rule
The fuel of fools, the obstacles, the cool
had to slow it down homey
chopped and screwed
He said Blow it down for me
sticks and stones make the homes
only god's words can stop the wolves
and don't fraternise with pigs those kids will think your stool..

Back then Lu was spittin street shyt on a nerd-type level :whew:

Dead End

Rican B*stard
Daps
Reppin
NW Chicago
I hated Lasers so much when it came out. I'm not sure there's been such a hostile reaction from hip-hop fans to an album in the internet era. Maybe Nastradamus? There weren't as many people online back then though.

Went back and listened to Lasers again today. Haven't heard it in years. Was surprised to be reminded how many of the songs got play on the radio. Overall, it's not that bad of an album. It's pretty solid if we're measuring it against other popular hip-hop from 2011.

But it is a jarring change from pre-Lasers Lupe. He simplified his flow, dumbs down his subject manner, and picked beats that reflected the radio sound at the time. A lot of people, myself included, were't measuring Lupe against the Top 40, we were comparing him to potentially Top 10 MC's. No one seems to talk about him like this anymore.

I haven't listened to a Lupe project since then. I wonder how many other former core fans are similar? I plan on going through his catalogue since then today and tomorrow, but damn, he really messed up with that album.