Marvel preparing to push Black Panther for Best Picture Oscar Nomination

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Black Panther: This Is Marvel's Strategy for a Best Picture Oscar Nomination - IGN

BLACK PANTHER: THIS IS MARVEL'S STRATEGY FOR A BEST PICTURE OSCAR NOMINATION
Will the new Best Popular Film category split voters?
BY JIM VEJVODA
The Academy's recently announced Best Popular Film Oscar category reportedly won't change Marvel Studios and Disney's plan to campaign for Black Panther to be nominated as Best Picture.

ADVERTISEMENT

Marvel has already begun the groundwork for a Black Panther Best Picture campaign, including hiring a veteran Oscar strategist and putting a "significant" awards season budget behind it -- something, as The Los Angeles Times points out, Marvel had never done before.

Marvel's strategy for getting Oscar voters to consider Black Panther for Best Picture includes leaning into the movie's "creative accomplishments and the global impact it made," according to the Times. In other words, Marvel's Oscar campaign will play up the personal nature of director Ryan Coogler's accomplishment and what the film has meant to so many around the world, particularly to underrepresented artists and audiences of color. Black Panther was not only a huge box office hit, it was also a film that mattered deeply to both the industry and to filmgoers. Marvel aims to remind Oscar voters of all that.

Marvel Studios president and Black Panther producer Kevin Feige told the L.A. Times he would love to see Ryan Coogler's vision and accomplishment recognized. When pressed by the Times on Black Panther's potential for a Best Picture nomination, Feige said, "I think it would be wonderful. ... The people behind the camera, the people on screen that acted in the movie, any of them being recognized would bring us great joy because they did tremendous work. And it’s always nice when tremendous work is recognized."

But the Academy's announcement of the new Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film category -- one seemingly created to guarantee blockbusters like Black Panther won't be snubbed by Oscar voters, and which was met with immediate mockery and divisionboth within and without the industry -- runs the risk of splitting Oscar voters. The Marvel movie could end up nominated in both the Best Picture and Best Popular Film categories -- or it could have its shot at the Academy's top honor undercut by this new category. There's also the chance the Academy backpedals on Popular Film altogether.

“Right now, I think [academy Chief Executive] Dawn Hudson would crawl in a hole if Black Panther gets snubbed for best picture and winds up landing in the popular film category,” the Times was informed by one unnamed Oscar consultant. “The funny thing is that Dawn would be way more disappointed than anyone at Marvel.”

Oscar voting for nominations opens January 7, 2019 and closes January 14th. Oscar nominations will be announced January 22, 2019.

The 91st Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 24, 2019, at the Dolby Theatre, and will be televised live on ABC at 6:30 pm. ET/3:30pm PT.

Daps
Reppin
St louis
:blessed:

wat6rr.jpg

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I really think Michael B. Jordan should be nominated, I think he's going to miss a nomination due to not having as much screen time (replies provide counter-evidence).

Dude had a few scenes where there was a ton of emotion. Like where he said the world took everything away from him, that dialogue right before they fought on the waterfall and that dialogue towards the end about believing in fairy-tales.

edit: Hopefully that man gets an Oscar, dude deserves it.

Last edited:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I really think Michael B. Jordan should be nominated, I think he's going to miss a nomination due to not having as much screen time.

Dude had a few scenes where there was a ton of emotion. Like where he said the world took everything away from him and that dialogue right before they fought on the waterfall.
Michael B. Jordan winning an Oscar is the very definition of lowering the bar. :whoa:

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
I really think Michael B. Jordan should be nominated, I think he's going to miss a nomination due to not having as much screen time.

Dude had a few scenes where there was a ton of emotion. Like where he said the world took everything away from him and that dialogue right before they fought on the waterfall.
Judi Dench got an Oscar for four wack minutes at the end of Shakespear in Love. Eddie Murphy got played on live television by not getting one for Dreamgirls.

Get Jordan the nomination. It won't matter that they won't hand him the statuette.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
It's probably not the best comparison but Anthony Hopkins got it with about 12 mins screen time in silence of the lambs.

Judi Dench got an Oscar for four wack minutes at the end of Shakespear in Love. Eddie Murphy got played on live television by not getting one for Dreamgirls.

Get Jordan the nomination. It won't matter that they won't hand him the statuette.

I hope he gets nominated and wins if that's the case. Dude had a great performance.

shyt I thought it was the best performance this year, so supporting actor should not be a long shot.

This list right here seems to think he should be a front runner for supporting actor:

2019 Best Supporting Actors Oscars Contenders And Predictions

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I hope he gets nominated and wins if that's the case. Dude had a great performance.

shyt I thought it was the best performance this year, so supporting actor should not be a long shot.

This list right here seems to think he should be a front runner for supporting actor:

2019 Best Supporting Actors Oscars Contenders And Predictions

It wouldn't do me any good to look at the list or vote. I've only seen black panther and equalizer 2. I'm completely out of the loop with movies. Those are the newest movies I've seen in years.